Users Bank Account

Users Bank Account

by Wayne Carroll -
Number of replies: 11
Looking for someone to development a Moodle Bank account for users to accumulate Moodle Dollars or Credits.

Concept is that a user earns Credits by participating in various activities.

Credits can then be used to buy items in other Moodle games.

Like today's eft-pos system I guess or XBox / RPG's gamer credits

I want to play a game of Life with the users where they have to buy and sell items over a period of time....

I have tried using the stamp module for this and replaced the stamps with bank notes but I needed a separate Stamp for each note I used.... got a bit confusing for students and teacher alike!

Any thoughts?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wayne Carroll

Re: Users Bank Account

by Stuart Mealor -
Hi Wayne
Interesting idea!
I can see the logic in using the Stamp Collection mod for this, but as you say there are limitations.
In terms of accruing 'dollars' maybe you could use a Glossary/Database - so that as each Student (or Teacher) Grades an entry from a different user the total will increase. That's just a first reaction response - not sure it would work in reality.
Teacher could probably use Offline Assignments in a similar way.
But I can't think of anything that would then allow 'trading/selling' of these Grades.
Alternatively, with some lateral thinking, you might find something creative like embedding a GoogleDocs spreadsheet in an IFrame would give you something workable?
Stu

by Chad Outten -
Picture of Testers
Hi Wayne. This is a curious project. Just a thought, but why not create a 'custom scale' for the grade book that maps numbers to dollars? Eg. 1 mark = $1, 2 marks = $2 etc. Then simply apply this scale to assessment activities such as assignment, quiz, glossary, forums etc. The grade book could take care of the calculations.
In reply to Chad Outten

by Sukhwant Lota -
Hi Wayne, we've been doing this for about a year now at Leeds City College. we've called it Moodle Points.

Students accumulate points by uploading assignments, replying to forums, sending messages, blog posts etc. The more points students and staff get, the more stars they get.

moodle_dashboard.jpg

We've also created a moodle points league so students can see how they rank against other students.

My colleague Lewis Carr has done a blog post on this here.
In reply to Sukhwant Lota

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
just thinking out loud here (I already think this is a brilliant idea) but would there be a way/value in creating a Moodle currency that was transferable (say to accumulate points from more than one site)?

Also, seeing the points system from Leeds is awesome, is that otherwise available for Admins to get and install?
In reply to Joseph Thibault

by Sukhwant Lota -
It's not currently available to install at the moment, we are looking to converting it into a block or bundled in as part of a theme.

The only reason we haven't released it yet, is that it's currently specific to our Moodle install, with it looking at the activities and modules that we have installed.

by Wayne Carroll -
Sounds very interesting ... what did you base it around?

I would imagine you scanned the log file for the various activities it recorded against a student , set a time frame, added them up, and then published a result???

by Sukhwant Lota -
Yep through log files, we launched this about 6 months after our moodle install and some students had accumulated quite a few points.

We also write the points back to the database in the user table so we can pull this up again anywhere in Moodle.

by Rhonda Goetz -

Can you tell me how you track the points?  I need to put together a course site where participants accumulater CEU from completing various quizzes in different courses.

Can you point me in a direction on this?  Thank you,

Rhonda

by leanne gwilliam -

Hi _ could you please update me on how far you and Lewis have got with this and making it into a module - it looks like a great tool, i really want to award students with credits for just loggin on as well as adding content etc

Thanks

by Wayne Carroll -
Just replying to myself here so that you can get more of an idea of my thinking...

The idea of a Moodle Banking System related to a game I tried to play with some of my students recently ...
A bit like Monopoly and life mixed together

All were given a job a random job pulled out of a hat
Each was allocated an income that matched their job
Each ran a personal budget on a spreadsheet
They each paid rent, some more than others, brought food, etc from each other
Some had more discretionary funds than others

Only problem was there was no way to check on the honestly of the students about how much they had received in terms of income and how much they had expended in the game.

managing 70 spreadsheets was a nightmare.

I thought a simple log file in Moodle could do the job running a trial balance account as in small businesses... but idea got too big for my head.

Trying to work out how one student could pay another from their own account became a mental Ahhhhh.

And how would I manage/moniter the system - as a teacher I have too little time in the classroom let alone this ! ?

It would all have to have to be automatic - Cron based even.
Check against the account for existing balance before funds could be transfered
Move funds from one person to another
Be able to add recurring events like the reminder block
Keep a running total for users - Like XBox gamer points

Something akin to Paypal, Monopoly, The game of life and a New Zealand game called Polyconomy that included the stock exchange and an inflation index - all rolled in together !

Are you getting the idea?

- Wayne

BTW I called it the Allensville Project. They lived in Waynesboro, worked in Allensville, brought petrol from Carroll Convertibles, Food at Allen's Superette, , etc etc.... and I was the Mayor of Allensville Boss Hog...

(My full name is Allen Wayne Carroll ,..... despotic aye lol )

Re: Reward example

by Miguel Miní -
Greetings from Perú

I think a good example is The eLearning Guild, who rewards with "Guilders" each participation (like survey complet). Then , people redeem Guilders to get merchandising stuff.

Another example is Impact Alliance. They ballot US$ bonus for bookstore shopping.

Miguel