BigBlueButton HELP!!!!

BigBlueButton HELP!!!!

by DeWayne Demland -
Number of replies: 60
I have unzipped and place the folders in the mod and the help. When I do what the readme text says to do and go to the notification - activity- Manage activities the BigBlueButton does not show to configure. Has anyone used this module and can help me?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to DeWayne Demland

Re: BigBlueButton HELP!!!!

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
You should register for a testing or real account with
http://www.dualcode.com/bigbluebutton/

And put the server url in the configuration page of the
bigbluebutton activity setting page.
( Site Admin >> # Administration # / ► Modules # / ► Activities # / ► Manage activities )
In reply to Nadav Kavalerchik

by DeWayne Demland -
When I go to the Admin - Modules - Activities - Manage Activities there is no BigBlueButton settings there. Look at the attached pic.

Attachment Moodle_BigBlueButton.jpg

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
oups.
this install did not finish correctly.

(or...)

Excuse me for asking, but...
Did you press the "Notification" link on the Site Menu ?

by DeWayne Demland -
That was it. It is now installed and shows up in the settings. Does then then make my moodle site a host, or do I need to still register? Is this a free module? Is the URL my web site URL?

Thanks.

by Jon Fila -
Ever figure this part out? I would like to add this as well.
In reply to Jon Fila

by Luc Richard -
This plug-in was developed by Dual Code Inc. (www.dualcode.com) and is available for free (covered under the GPL). It allows you to communicate with a BigBlueButton server. Please note that it does not make your Moodle server a BigBlueButton host.

If you need a BigBlueButton server, you have a few options:
  • Set up your own (BigBlueButton is an open-source product)
  • Contact Dual Code and they can set one up for you (commercial service)
  • Subscribe to a hosted BigBlueButton service offered by Dual Code and pay as you go
If you encounter any issues with the plug-in, please drop our support team a line (www.dualcode.com/contact/). We're always looking for feedback and ideas on how to improve the plug-in or the integration between Moodle and BBB.
In reply to Luc Richard

by DeWayne Demland -
What are the settings in the configuration? I do not need to have my own server, what are the restraints on using the BBB server? How many students can be in one conference at the same time? Do I need to sign up at BBB for an account? All I see on that site is the 14 day trial.
Attachment Moodle_BigBlueButton_2.jpg

by Luc Richard -
At the moment, BigBlueButton supports up to 30 students per meeting. We are currently working at increasing that limit to 100 students (and perhaps even more in the future).

The "14 Day Trial" is for a different product. We are currently doing beta trials of our hosted BBB solution with select customers. If you would like to participate in those trials, please contact us at support[at]dualcode[dot]com. Please note that there is a small fee to cover our costs.
In reply to Luc Richard

by Ajaz Ali -

Hi Luc,

I have installed BBB with moodle. It works fine to some extent. I can upload the presentations and ervything seems ok except the sound. I can hear others but when I speak I hear my voice back from the speakers but the other person can't hear me. Any idea to solve this problem?

regards

Ali

BigBlueButton

by Colleger Mr -
Does BigBlueButton support scheduling and recording?

I would like to know if there is any Open Source white board software with scheduling and recording options...

help please !
In reply to Colleger Mr

תשובה ל: BigBlueButton

by Dvora Peretz -

DimDim has a recording option - I think it also has a schelduling option - but I'm not sure about it

It's frr for small groups (I think less than 50).

Here:

http://www.dimdim.com/

enjoy. dvorv

در پاسخ به: Re: BigBlueButton HELP!!!!

by mehri Movahhed -

Hi,

Bigbluebutton is an open source web conference.

why we can't user it free? we should pay for it.

I installed it and try to create a new Meeting room. But I got this error:

"Your subscription to the BigBlueButton service has expired or the credentials you entered are not valid. Please renew your subscription or contact the system administrator"

Regards

Mehri

In reply to mehri Movahhed

Re: در پاسخ به: Re: BigBlueButton HELP!!!!

by Jose Luis Martin Jimenez -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hello, I've the same problem with one of the two modules availables in moodle.org

- My BBB server (VMware appliance) 0.71 is installed OK and fully working

- My testing Moodle is v1.9.9

1. I've tried the module from Blindside Networks (http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=4536&filter=1), and it works OK. In my courses I can add BigBlueButton activities, and then open the conference room, upload documents, etc.

2. But, when I install the module from Dualcode (http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=3524&filter=1), everything looks OK, I can add a BigBlueButton activity in my course ... but I can't go into the conference room. I get this error: "Your subscription to the BigBlueButton service has expired or the credentials you entered are not valid. Please renew your subscription or contact the system administrator."

Moreover, as editor in my course I try to delete this BBB activity and ... no way. The activity continues there! No error is show, but ... ???

Last note: with a previous version of BBB server (0.64), and the same Moodle testing platform, everything was OK.

Thanks for your help.
J.L. Martín

In reply to mehri Movahhed

Re: در پاسخ به: Re: BigBlueButton HELP!!!!

by Stephen Dame -

BBB is a free conference server,  you have loaded the integration module into your moodle.  But you still need a server to run the Bigbluebutton conferencintg system.   This needs to be a stand alone server designed for video/audio streaming.  To build one go to bigbluebutton.org and instructions are there.    You can also use a commerical BBB hosting company and http://www.bigbluebutton.org/support will give you a list.

regards,

Stephen

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I think you may have failed to go to your admin > notifications page after uploading. Doing this sets up the database in moodle for BBB. Then it will show up.
In reply to Chris Kenniburg

by DeWayne Demland -
Do you have to pay BigBlueButton for this? Does it install the host server on my Moodle site?

by Moodle Admin -
I can install remotely a BigBlueButton server to your institution or university if you give me a ssh account to access to your linux server. For 400$ . The BigBlueButton is a free product i want the money to install the BigBlueButton server and integrating it with your moodle site. Then you can connect with unlimited user. If you are interested send me an email clietech@gmail.com
In reply to Moodle Admin

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Cool.... can you tell me where I can download the code for the "free product" so I can try myself??
In reply to Howard Miller

by Nigel Andrews -
Howard,

1. Go to Downloads, then Modules and Themes and download the Moodle element. 2. For the free, "host your own server" version, download the relevant one from http://bigbluebutton.org/support
From memory it (VMWare version)was a very large file that then wanted to then update itself....500MB+

From there, you may need someone from your IT to help if you are not IT literate.

The reason I say this is I have followed the instructions correctly (I believe) and found I cannot get this to work.. Moodle talking to the server issue methinks.

Can any of you clever people translate what is happening in the below Moodle debugging logs??

Background - the demo works fine by accessing via the server IP address but a Moodle BBB activity offers up a completely blank page - other than the activity heading (and the below logs).

Any assistance/suggestions welcome.

Nigel.

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$wc_accountid in C:\xampplite\moodle\mod\bigbluebutton\view.php on line 88

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$wc_accountpwd in C:\xampplite\moodle\mod\bigbluebutton\view.php on line 89

Notice: Undefined property: object::$firstname in C:\xampplite\moodle\mod\bigbluebutton\view.php on line 100

Notice: Undefined property: object::$lastname in C:\xampplite\moodle\mod\bigbluebutton\view.php on line 100

Notice: Undefined index: HTTPS in C:\xampplite\moodle\mod\bigbluebutton\lib.php on line 180

Notice: Undefined index: HTTPS in C:\xampplite\moodle\mod\bigbluebutton\lib.php on line 180

Warning: file_get_contents(http://http://10.10.3.125/bigbluebutton/api/create?name=qwr&meetingID=94877&attendeePW=qqqqq&moderatorPW=qqqqq&voiceBridge=73221&welcome=&logoutUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fconnect.learn.tio.com.au%2Fmod%2Fbigbluebutton%2Fview.php%3Fid%3D273&checksum=253691129cca7607f29d306d47769dc2cca9a27b) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. in C:\xampplite\moodle\mod\bigbluebutton\lib.php on line 136

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 60 seconds exceeded in C:\xampplite\moodle\mod\bigbluebutton\lib.php on line 136

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 60 seconds exceeded in C:\xampplite\moodle\lib\moodlelib.php on line 7852

IF I remove the "http://" from the server URL I then get less errors but still find the below.....

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$wc_accountid in C:\xampplite\moodle\mod\bigbluebutton\view.php on line 88

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$wc_accountpwd in C:\xampplite\moodle\mod\bigbluebutton\view.php on line 89

Your subscription to the BigBlueButton service has expired or the credentials you entered are not valid. Please renew your subscription or contact the system administrator.

In reply to Nigel Andrews

by Jonathan Champ -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
I don't know anything about this bigbluebutton mod, but it looks like you're not plugging in your account id and password.

The setup instructions probably say that somewhere you're supposed to add:

$some_big_blue_button_variable->wc_accountid = 'myaccountname';
$some_big_blue_button_variable->wc_accountpwd = 'myaccountpassword';
In reply to Jonathan Champ

by Nigel Andrews -
Hmmm....setup doesn't say anything about this. I assumed that this was referencing the option of having it externally hosted which would definitely require a username/password. The Moodle module has this second option also - hosted from your server or hosted externally. We are using the internally hosted option which only asks for IP address of the server and the "security salt", I'm providing both correctly.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Cool.... thanks for the pointer. I obviously missed it.

I'll go and give it a try. Even with my limited IT skills wink

by Alejandro Piedrahita -
Hi Nigel and everybody I have this same problem, did anybody solve these errors? I think these errors are caused by proxy at my university which does not allow moodle reach my external network where it really is my bigbluebutton server. I have been looking on the Internet some answers and I found little. If anyone knows anything I would be grateful post the experience. Thanks Alejandro

by Naweed Muhammad -
Unzipped BBB and it generated two folders 'lang' and 'mod' of course under parent folder "bigbluebutton'. Presiclely, which folder(s) do I need to transfer to Moodle's root directory?
Is there any detailed help doc available for novice users like me?
Thanks, in advance, for your help!
In reply to Naweed Muhammad

by Paul Perspectoff -
This is what I did to install:

*Download the API from DualCode and unzip:

sudo wget http://www.dualcode.com/bigbluebutton/bigbluebutton.zip
sudo unzip bigbluebutton.zip
sudo rm bigbluebutton.zip

*Copy the bigbluebutton/mod/bigbluebutton folder (and its contents) into the /usr/share/moodle/mod folder:

sudo mkdir /usr/share/moodle/mod/bigbluebutton
sudo cp -r bigbluebutton/mod/bigbluebutton/* /usr/share/moodle/mod/bigbluebutton/

*Copy the bigbluebutton/lang folder contents into the /usr/share/moodle/lang folder:

sudo cp -r bigbluebutton/lang/* /usr/share/moodle/lang/

*Login to the Moodle site (as an administrator) and load the module:

Moodle -> Site Administration -> Notifications (Make sure to click on Notifications)
-> Activities -> Manage Activities -> BigBlueButton -> Settings
In reply to Paul Perspectoff

by Paul Perspectoff -
-> Input the IP address/URL of your BigBlueButton server.

-> Input the Security Salt from your BigBlueButton server. This is in a file called “bigbluebutton.properties” on the BigBlueButton server. On my Ubuntu server I found it at

/var/lib/tomcat6/webapps/bigbluebutton/WEB-INF/classes/bigbluebutton.properties

The security salt string can be found:

beans.dynamicConferenceService.securitySalt=your_number_here

Input that long string of numbers and letters to the field in Moodle.

-> Put a star in the Meeting IDs field. That will allow an unlimited number of rooms to be created. You can also put any number here to restrict how many rooms on your BigBlueButton server you want running at any one time. (This can eventually become important for performance reasons.)

by Paul Perspectoff -
Then in the (Course) Weekly Outline:

-> Add an activity... -> BigBlueButton ->

and set the desired passwords for the meeting, etc.

by Paul Perspectoff -
Oy vay. I lost two days because when as I installed the BBB module, I input as the IP address/URL of the BigBlueButton server:

http://69.68.67.66

when I should have merely entered

This error made the plugin unable to find the server address. (It doesn't like the leading http:// in the address.)

by DeWayne Demland -
Paul,

Is this IP address your own sever? If it is not where did you find this address?

by Paul Perspectoff -
No, of course not. It's a hypothetical example, not a demo server. I have no idea what will happen if you try to login to that IP address (so don't). (My own BBB server is for private use within my organization and I don't publish the IP address).

by Howard Miller -
Hmmm...

"BigBlueButton is an open source project that is built on over fourteen open source components to create an integrated web conferencing system that runs on mac, unix, or PC computers. It supports the following capabilities:"

So, where does one download the latest source and installation instructions? wink
In reply to Howard Miller

by Paul Perspectoff -

by DeWayne Demland -
So is there any way to try this see how it works, or do I have to install the server on my host?

by Luc Richard -
A new version of the plug-in has just been posted and is available at http://www.dualcode.com/bigbluebutton/index.htm (same location as usual).

This plug-in is compatible with BBB v0.64 which was released last week. It implements the "logoutURL" interface. This implementation automatically redirects a user to the last visited page of Moodle once he/she logs out of the BBB meeting.

This plug-in is backwards compatible with BBB v0.63.

Dual Code also added an Administrative Guide at http://www.dualcode.com/bigbluebutton/Administrative_Guide.pdf that helps with the installation and configuration of the plug-in.

In reply to Luc Richard

by Alexandr Stc -
I have this problem.
I installed a local VM server BBB v0.64.
It works great http://10.62.x.x/client/BigBlueButton.html
But module MOODLE not work.
I configured the plugin MOODLE.

I am hosting my own BigBlueButton server.
http:// 10.62.x.x The domain name or IP address of the BigBlueButton server.
Security Salt fhghskjdgkdfhgjkdshklgjh The security salt as configured on the BigBlueButton server.
Meeting IDs *

I add BBB conference in MOODLE.
I view in MOODLE blank page.
I do not know what to do.
In reply to Alexandr Stc

Odp: Re: BigBlueButton HELP!!!!

by L C -
@Alexandr
I had the same problem, but I turned debug mode on, and found info about wrong PHP configuration. I changed in my php.ini to:
allow_url_fopen = On
allow_url_include = On

and since that everything works great! I hope that helps.
In reply to L C

Re: Odp: Re: BigBlueButton HELP!!!!

by Alexandr Stc -
To Leszek Charkiewicz

I changed php.ini to:
allow_url_fopen = On
allow_url_include = On

But BBB not work.

Please, How to enable debug mode?

In reply to Alexandr Stc

Odp: Re: Odp: Re: BigBlueButton HELP!!!!

by L C -
@Alexandr

As Moodle admin: Administration > Server > Debugging. Set the Debug messages to ALL, and Display debug messages to Yes.

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Debugging

Paste your errors if there are any.
In reply to L C

Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: BigBlueButton HELP!!!!

by Alexandr Stc -
My moodle say:

Fatal error
: Class 'DOMDocument' not found in /var/www/html/moodle/mod/bigbluebutton/lib.php on line 137

I install for CentOS 5.4
yum install php*

It`s work!!!

But I haw problem USER_NAME in BBB (Cyrillic)...
code page in moodle UTF-8
In reply to L C

Re: Odp: Re: BigBlueButton HELP!!!!

by Dlareg Dlareg -
@leszek
i hade the same mee too, and thanks for your solution.
After some test only
allow_url_fopen = On
is required

by Bartłomiej Polakowski -

Hello,

is it possible to connect Moodle with a few different BBB servers in such a way that the web conferences are spread among all servers?

In reply to Bartłomiej Polakowski

by Angel Ramirez Garviso -

i need a installed virtual machine, beacuse i can download from google.com... can you help me?

In reply to Angel Ramirez Garviso

by Fred Dixon -

Hi Angel,

If you are looking to install Moodle from a virtual machine, there are detailed instructions at the Google Code site for BigBlueButton.  See

http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/BigBlueButtonVM

Since this is a BigBlueButton specific question, I invite you to also search through the postings to the BigBlueButton-setup mailing list:

http://groups.google.com/group/bigbluebutton-setup/topics?gvc=2

Finally, if you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to post to this Moodle forum or the above mailing list.  We'll help you get a BigBlueButton VM setup.

Regards,... Fred

In reply to Fred Dixon

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Angel Ramirez Garviso -

Thanks a lot i have the BBB working, the next step is convert the vmware machine to OpenVz if anybody have a easy way to do this please answer here, thanks. Xiao.

by Sedessia Spivey -

Hello, I to need help with BigBlueButton Installation.  My situation is that I  have a vitural dedicated server on GoDaddy and would like to install BigBlueButton.  However, I'm not sure how to go about doing that.  The information that I found indicated that the installation on CentOS 5 is no longer supported.  So is it possible to install a virtral machine on the vitural dedicated server and then install BigBluebutton. Could someone please help me.

In reply to Sedessia Spivey

by Fred Dixon -

Hi Sedessia,

(I'm one of the BigBlueButton developers).

You can't run a virtual machine inside an already virtual environment.  Even if you could, you wouldn't want to: BigBlueButton is a real-time system and, as such, we recommend installing BigBlueButton on a dedicated server.

The recommended setup is to not try and run Moodle and BigBlueButton on the same server; rather, run BigBlueButton on a separate (dedicated) server.

With regards to CentOS, we used to provide support for it.  But trying to support both CentOS packaging and Ubuntu packaging for BigBlueButton was a lot of effort, too much in fact, and we concluded that we could benefit the community by spending more time on BigBlueButton, so we consolidated the packaging to only support Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit/64-bit.

If you can setup a dedicated server, dual or quad-core, 2+ G of memory, with Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit/64-bit, you can setup BigBlueButton in about 15 minutes.  See

http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/InstallationUbuntu

Regards,... Fred

In reply to Fred Dixon

by Rick Hatton -

Fred,

Can you point me to BBB docs? I haven't been able to figure out how to create meetings/rooms.

I have BBB running on a dedicated server. I, and others, are able to join the demo.

Thanks.

In reply to Rick Hatton

by Rick Hatton -

After posting the above, I spoke with Fred in the BigBlueButton Demo Server. He was extremely helpful.

In reply to Rick Hatton

by Fred Dixon -

Hi Rick,

Good chatting with you.  For the benefit of others, we recommend using the existing BigBlueButton Moodle Activity Modules to create virtual classrooms.

If you are a programmer and want to setup your own landing page on a BigBlueButon server, here's a FAQ entry that gives you a brief overview of how to modify one of the API examples that come with BigBlueButton.

Again, easiest way to use BigBlueButton is from within the BigBlueButton Activity Module.

Regards,... Fred

In reply to Rick Hatton

by Seun Ojedeji -
Hello Rick, glad to read your post...sure you will find BBB a great tool as i did. BBB : Great tool wonderful support! Cheers
In reply to Seun Ojedeji

by james harris -
Is there a way to use my two dedicated servers ( one moodle other bbb ) on one external ip using dyndns, I set up both on different computers
In reply to james harris

by Steve Montano -

I've been able to pull that off by having one server using all the default ports for BBB and the other server running a self signed SSL certificate over https port 443 and hosting a moodle installation.  Hope that works for you!

In reply to james harris

by John Andrewartha -

It called port mapping.   The easiest to change is Moodle.  You will need to tell the web server to bind to different port than 80.

Once that is done make a suitable entry in your router that points the new port to Moodle and private address.

the URL will then look something like  http://mymoodle.org.au:8080/moodle

The :8080 tells the browser to try on that port.

Port mapping is here to stay.  The last IPV4 space went a couple of weeks ago and a lot of (most) ISP have not yet got around to IPV6.

In reply to james harris

by Eric Dodémont -

I have installed Moodle and BigBlueButton on two separate servers behind only one dynamic public IP. I am using NAT on the router and DynDNS for the DNS resolution.

The default tcp port of BBB has to be changed from tcp/80 to tcp/443 (for example).

- Server1: Moodle ==> IP: IP1 (private/static) - Port: tcp/80 (http)
- Server2: BBB ==> IP: IP2 (private/static) - Port: tcp/443 (http & rtmp)

Router:

- Internet side: IP: IP0 (public/dynamic)
- NAT table:
tcp/80 -> IP1-tcp/80 (Moodle)
tcp/443 -> IP2-tcp/443 (BBB: http & tunnelled rtmp)
tcp/9123 -> IP2-tcp/9123 (BBB: desktop sharing)

Remarks:

a) For BBB, you cannot let the server run on tcp/80 (default) and configure the NAT like this: tcp/443 -> IP2-tcp/80. This does not work.

b) I have chosen to change the BBB port from tcp/80 to tcp/443. You can chose another port than tcp/443. It is just that tcp/443 is often opened if the firewall or proxy servers, and then BBB can be used from inside an organisation.

c) To access the BBB server, you have still to use http, not https! https://IP0:443 (not https://IP0 or https://IP0:443).

d) Configuration adaptations to make BBB running on tcp/443 (http) in place of tcp/80 (http). In both cases, the RTMP protocol is tunneled into http. The tcp/1935 native default RTMP port does not need to be opened in the router.

1) bbb-conf --setip bbb.mydomain.com:443

2) Edit /var/www/bigbluebutton/client/conf/config.xml: change all occurence of "bbb.mydomain.com" by "bbb.mydomain.com:443".

3) bbb-conf --restart

DNS: www.mydomain.com = Moodle -- bbb.mydomain.com:443 or www.mydomain.com:443 = BBB

In reply to Eric Dodémont

by Seun Ojedeji -

Hello Eric,

As much as that is an option, i also think if you make moodle(apache) listen on a different port...say 8080 while leaving the BBB server on default 80 would work. So it will look like:

ip1 (moodle) - dsnat :8080   dyndns.url:8080

ip2 (BBB) - dsnat :80 , 443 and 9123  dyndns.url

Then you just need to set the BBB to the new ip with bbb-conf --setip<url>

restart BBB and apache.

If you are having trouble configuring dsnat then let me know what model/make of router you use, maybe i could provide syntax.

BR

In reply to Eric Dodémont

by james harris -

Thank you for taking the time with the detailed instruction; this will work for me. 

In reply to Fred Dixon

by Fulvia Lami -

Hi Fred,

I'm evaluating to buy a dedicated server in order to have several installation of moodle for my organization who support teachers. I red your post and I don't have very clear the matter I need to have 2 separate server, one for moodle and another one for BBB. Did I understand well? It is not possible to install BBB on the same dedicated server I'll use for moodle?

Sorry for my english....

Thanks