Course Management Block

Course Management Block

by Jason Hardin -
Number of replies: 4
Block Description

The course management block was developed to increase site administrator’s productivity and reduce peak load on Moodle servers caused by the backup and restoring of courses. The Course management block allows Moodle site administrators to schedule backup and restores of courses at non-peak Moodle usage times. It also allows Moodle site administrators to delete multiple courses at one time from one user interface.

Developers

Michael Avelar, Sam Chaffee
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jason Hardin

Re: Course Management Block

by Chad Bergeron -

Wow, this was a bacon saver for me after an accidental course creation script...

But the 'delete' action wasn't working for me under the latest Chromium browser. Worked fine with Firefox 4.

Also, I found the 'perpage' variable in the code, but there is no ui for it.  But it was nice to be able to delete the mistakes in larger batches once I added that variable to the URL.

Thank you!

In reply to Jason Hardin

by Eric H. -

Hi,

I'm wondering if you have any plans on taking a few extra steps out of the process for scheduling a restore. 

Here's what I'm thinking(and trying to code myself but am still learning about how Moodle works so don't expect miracles) is that you should be able to select several backups at once, and then use the "menu" at the bottom of the chooser that has the "move to another folder", "delete", "zip", etc. functions to send the list to the schedule restore function. My thinking is that a list of links could be generated from which one could click to schedule each file(going through all the normal steps of course). I have about 3,000 courses to restore so I'm very keen in removing any unnecessary steps and the work flow of this block seems to make it unnecessarily hard in some parts.

I've accomplished something similar on my own but I have to edit some of the core functions to accomplish that at this point so it's not remotely ideal, and I've not figured out how to call your schedule system so I ended up simply having it feed a list of links that I could then use to restore.(hard to describe this but it seemed the only way to accomplish this within Moodle's framework)

I imagine that you've mostly forgotten about this at this point but if you're still developing this for 1.9, I'd like to share some ideas with you that may make it a bit easier.

In reply to Jason Hardin

by Mike B -

After successfully installing this plugin on our Moodle 1.9.9 instance, scheduling a restore as outlined in the directions and letting things run I am running into an issue.

Courses are indeed created with the correct naming and sorting. However, the backup data does not appear. I simply wind up with a number of empty course shells.

Any ideas?

In reply to Mike B

by Doug Loomer -

I know this is a very old post, but I am doing some work on a still existing Moodle 1.9 site and am wondering if you got this Course Management block working?  It is designed to do exactly what I want, but after installing it I can't get it to create any courses.  I keep getting a "No restores in queue for processing." error.