Fandango Theme

Fandango Theme

by Robert Fahy -
Number of replies: 34

I have uploaded a new Theme called Fandango.

You can see it here...

http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=26&rid=3539

(Edited by Mary Evans - original submission Saturday, 13 February 2010, 05:17 PM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Fahy

Re: Fandango Theme

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Where did you upload it to? It's not in the themes' directory.
In reply to Mary Evans

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I think perhaps the themes have to be moderated first before the can appear?
In reply to Robert Fahy

by Otakar Šprdlík -

Hello,

first of all, thank you for this marvelous theme.

I encountered one problem: Some files from fandango/pix/tab directory are referred in styles_tabs.css but the directory does not exist. That causes, besides the influence on the look, a large number of warnings in the error.log file.

Ota

In reply to Robert Fahy

by Kevin Hunt -

Love this theme as it fits nicely with our corporate colours etc. but I seem to have a lot of icons missing for things like activities (assignment submission) and the like.

Are these not present in the theme ? I have tried uploading time and again (other themes are ok) but it makes no difference.

Can I just copy some from another theme to resolve the problem ? (if so, what directories do I need to look in ?)

In reply to Kevin Hunt

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Kevin,

You could try enabling Smart Pix in Site Administration  > Miscellaneous > Experimental > Smart Pix - just click in the check box to add a 'tick'...save changes and go back to Home page.

If it works you should see the missing images once you refresh your browser.

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Kevin Hunt -

Thanks Mary

I tried that but it makes it even worse - lose all the icons in site admin when I do that !

Any other thoughts - it's really annoyng ?

In reply to Kevin Hunt

by Mary Evans -

Hi Kevin,

I've fixed a few problems with this theme, including the tabs. The stylesheet for the tabs was present, but not included in the themes stylesheet array in the config.php, so although the tab images are there, the stylesheet wasn't.

As for the extra mod icons well those were missing, so I have added them in.

If you send me you email address Kevin, I'll send you the updated fandango.zip file.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Neo Jackson -

Cool theme. With all the improvements made to this theme, it should be working well now.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Kevin Hunt -
My thanks to Mary for the fixes - looks good now in 1.9 ! Couple of other queries if Mary or anyone else can answer : 1) We are using Turnitin with the plug-in supplied by them. How do I get an icon to show up for Turnitin assignments in the Fandango theme ? Currently it shows a missing icon 2) As a private college our VLE is only available to Business Studies students so we don't want to list courses etc. until after a user has logged in (no guest access either). How do I add blocks to the front (login) page ? (see http://vle.mls-college.co.uk) My MD would like us to be able to add some general info stuff like link to Facebook page, Twiiter account and news of student excursions etc. Is it possible (easily) ? In response to the last - would I be better off dropping Joomla/Drupal in as the front end with alink to the VLE from there ? Any help/comments much appreciated ! Kevin
In reply to Kevin Hunt

by Mary Evans -

Hi Kevin,

It should be easy enough to add an image if you are getting a broken image link icon, then it just means that wherever the system is calling the image from, I'm guessing it's the Turnitin plugin, then you need to add the image to moodle/theme/fandango/pix/mod/turnitin/ folder or something similar.Is there no help in the README.txt for the plugin?

Mary

In reply to Kevin Hunt

by Mary Evans -

In answer to the Facebook/Twitter/social networking links, yes it is possible. Take a look at this site which is currently on Moodle 1.9.10. It will give you an idea how they look, and where you can add the links.

http://www.earlyyearscpd.co.uk

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Kevin Hunt -

For the site you quoted - That's exactly the sort of thing I want !

Def can't see how to do it though - maybe I have a screwy install ??

In reply to Kevin Hunt

by Kevin Hunt -

Mary to the rescue again - thanks !

Sorted now and understand what I need to do - job for the Easter break ! big grin

In reply to Kevin Hunt

by Mary Evans -

Hi Kevin,

If you get stuck, just give me a shout and I'll give you a hand.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Kevin Hunt

by Mary Evans -

This is the location...

fandango/pix/mod/turnitintool/icon.gif

That should fix it.

Hopefully!!!

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Kevin Hunt -

Thanks (again) Mary

Had to create the turnitintool folder and then copied the existing "assignment" icon so all displaying properly now.

I still need to sort the front page - by which I mean the login page at

http://vle.mls-college.co.uk/login/index.php

Logging in as admin and going to the various options for front page just doesn't seem to give me any options to create anything here - stumped !

In reply to Mary Evans

by yonney atsu -

Great theme Mary. Are you looking at making it available for moodle 2.

Am also impressed with the flash bit added to the site below. Is that a kind of a plugin? Thanks

http://www.earlyyearscpd.co.uk/

In reply to yonney atsu

by Mary Evans -

Fandango isn't my theme, I just fixed a couple of problems with it.

But would be easy enough to convert to Moodle 2.0.

You can do it if you try...smile Theres tutorials to help! Themes 2.0 FAQ

As for the Box Slider - They call them plugins but it's really a set of javascripts with setting and a bit of HTML, and is theme based not global.

You can download the latest version of the Box Slider it from http://bxslider.com/

It's a real pain to get right in Moodle 2.0 though...

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by yonney atsu -

Thanks for the feedback Mary. A couple more clarification though. When you say bxslider is theme based do you mean its come s ready with a particular theme? If so what theme is it? I have also downloaded a copy of the bxslider plugin but struggling to understand the step 2. which says "unzip and place the the ff. files in the same location as the web page that is displaying the slider".

Step 3 isnt clearer to me either.

Thanks

In reply to yonney atsu

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

You will find it working in the Edu-Moodle theme, at least it was last year. If it's not then Dan must have revamped the theme.

http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=26&mode=single&filter=1&page=20

Let me know how you get on with this theme. It's Moodle 1.9 theme. Not sure if Edu-Moodle for Moodle 2.0 got fixed as there were problems.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by yonney atsu -

Thanks for the feedback Mary. Will have ago and lets you know how i got on.

In reply to Mary Evans

Converting Fandango Theme to moodle 2

by yonney atsu -

I have had a look at the tutorials for converting a theme to moodle 2 but I must admit I'm at my wits end. Not sure where to start. I'm very keen to using fandango theme for moodle 2. Any help will be very appreciated

In reply to yonney atsu

Re: Converting Fandango Theme to moodle 2

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

It all depends on how you use Moodle, and how familiar you are with its file structure. Indeed, do you understand the file structure of your own computer, like My Documents, and how to make a folder, add a file to a folder, that sort of thing?

If you don't know how to do this, you will find that creating a Moodle theme will be quite difficult to do at first, but you will learn a lot, as I did. I knew nothing about Moodle 3 years ago, but I stuck with it. Learning as I went.

Let me know what skills you have, and I'll start you off on some easy tasks to do which only involve opening Notepad and copying & pasting some code, and then saving the file into a folder that you have created on your Desktop.

If you can understand that, and can do most of this already, then you are half way there.

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by yonney atsu -

Thanks in advance Mary. Yes I do understand most of the bits that you mentioned. I'm familiar with file structure of moodle. Will be happy for you to talk me through the processes needed in doing this conversion to moodle 2.

In reply to yonney atsu

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

In that case follow the tutorial I did on how to clone a theme. Here is the link...

Development: Themes 2.0 how to clone a Moodle 2.0 theme

Just follow the tutorial, if you get stuck, let me know.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by yonney atsu -

Thanks for the reply Mary.

I have had a look at the tutorial. The theme I want to convert to moodle 2.0 is fadango which is a moodle 1.9 theme. It doesnt seems to have the same file structure as a moodle 2.0 theme. Basically there is only one sub directory  inside the theme folder which is a pix folder. There is no lang, layout or style folders as in moodle 2.0 themes.

In reply to yonney atsu

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

yonney,

You will not be able to directly clone a 1.9 theme to work in moodle 2 as the themes are constructed in very different ways.

However, what you can do is follow Mary's tutorial with another moodle2 theme which is similar in layout to fandango, and then adapt the css of your new moodle2 theme to match what you want. Mary's response further back in this thread (20May) also points at the Themes 2.0 FAQ which may be of some help

Richard

In reply to yonney atsu

by Mary Evans -

Hi Yonny,

The idea was just follow the tutorial. Clone Boxxie but call your new Moodle 2 theme fandango2, which is what I should have said at the start.

I know the file structure is different. That is why I sent you to do that tutorial.

Cloning a theme is only a way of showing your how to set about changing a theme to look like another. All the elements you need will be in there for you to use.

When you have cloned Boxxie like the tutorial, and called your folder fandango2 (not foxxie) then you will be ready to start to copy the CSS from Fandango to your new theme folder 'fandango2'.

So my advice is, don't get distracted by others, as well meaning as they are, or else you will become confused.

Whichever way you takle this you are going to have to learn some basic things about Moodle 2. themes.

1. they are nothing like Moodle 1.9 themes

2. they are much more complex

3. they are not compatible with Moodle 1.9

4. but once built they are pretty versatile

OK...did you even try to follow the tutorial?

Have you made it? Does it work?

Mary

In reply to Robert Fahy

Re: Fandango Theme - blocks disappearing !

by Kevin Hunt -

Just got MS Live Services working but when I add the block on the Fandango theme all of the blocks on the right hand side vanish.

I want the block on all courses so added as a sticky block - would it be that causing the problem ?

Anyone with an idea ?

Thanks, Kevin

In reply to Kevin Hunt

by Richard Oelmann -

Have you tested this with any other themes Kevin? Is this an issue with Fandango or with the block itself?

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Kevin Hunt -

Tried it with the default Moodle theme and get the same issue.

Loggin in as Admin (standard Moodle login, not live services) and I get the block on all courses but saying I'm not logged in to Live Services (which is correct). When I log in as teacher I don't get the block at all.

Struggling to see why ???

In reply to Kevin Hunt

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi Kevin,

I'd suggest that as you get the same issue with Moodle standard theme, then the issue is probably with the block itself and possibly permissions for it, rather than with the theme. You may have more luck re-asking your question in the User Authentication Foum here. smile

Richard