Using Facebook in teaching

Using Facebook in teaching

by John Andrewartha -
Number of replies: 9
Hi,
The Facebook module has been released and looks good.
Now just how do we use it in a education model and what features should we be able to manipulate?
John

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Andrewartha

Re: Using Facebook in teaching

by Aaron Fulton -
Thanks for creating this group John. I'm the developer of this module and I will be watching this discussion closely. I started this module with only the bare-bones. Authentication seemed quite logical place to start and I did the Live feed because it was easy. I too am a bit unsure about the pedagogy of Facebook with E-Learning. I know there are lots of thing you could do with Facebook, but I don't think they are all useful for learning and therefore should not be made available in Moodle.
In reply to Aaron Fulton

by John Andrewartha -
Thanks for a great module Aaron,
I some how think that the Fb mod is a bit like the Maser that later became the Laser. We have one! What do we do with it? I have to make a confession, I had never been on or look at Facebook until 2 weeks ago. Now I have a fish tank to keep clean fish to feed and a farm.
Of the features I have discovered the groups seems a likely candidate.

Example 1
Two schools in different time zones decide to do a project lets say 'Global Warming'.
Set up a common group area on FB and us it as the transtimezone discussion area.
Moving information back to the local environment for completion.

Example 2
We all at some stage have to deal with the subject of 'Personal Development' usually accompanied by lots of blushing and looking at feet. Why not use the Group feature and have the discussion outside the edu environment. It may allow free discussion not the cloaked we seem to get.
Thats my penny's worth
John

by Aaron Fulton -
Hi John,

Thanks for your suggestions. At the moment the two areas of development I'm looking at are enabling facebook user pictures to be used in Moodle in place of the default moodle picture and creating a facebook canvas page (link - bottom left of facebook) and facebook tab (along the top such as "Wall" or "Profile"). The tab is a bit of Maser at the moment, but I hope to be able to make it a dashbord into the Moodle site (eg link the the "/my" page in moodle). The stream publishing facility appears to be another area to look at (eg Moodle can post a message to the users Facebook page when the submit assignments (look at me! I did an assigment!!), or post reminders of when quizes are due etc.

I was wondering if you could help me clarify some things for me in your examples.

Example 1:
What would the benefit be of using a Facebook group for discussion rather than simply using a Moodle forum? In your example would the two schools be running off the same Moodle or different moodles?

Example 2:
I've been looking at the Facebook API this morning and it appears to be very hard to create groups programatically. The Facebook paradigm is that there are Users, Pages, and Groups. Users can add applications (such as the moodle integration). Groups and pages cannot. It is possible to post information to an existing Facebook group however. Also to create a group you would need to do this for each Moodle group within each course manually via the Facebook site.

The best solution I can think of is to do psudo Facebook groups that are run exclusively from Moodle (though they will appear on Facebook inside the applications canvas page). Facebook discussions also tend to be very public (even more so than discussions within a course) so I don't know if people would be willing to open up any more in the non-edu envronment.
In reply to Aaron Fulton

by John Andrewartha -
The advantages of Example 1 if groups are in different country's then TZ becomes a problem. This would remove the need for one side to setup a special course area in the Moodle for the group then enrol external students.

Example 2 I fully expect the daggers on that. As far as Personal Development we can teach mechanics and the biology. It takes guided peers to evolve the emotional aspect and banish urban myths. Social space is that place.

Moodle groups is quiet interesting. I shall have to spend more time playing with FB.

John
In reply to Aaron Fulton

by John Andrewartha -
Being the slow learner I am, I just keep plugging away. Home work groups.
I created the application for eLearning@Dorset and low and behold it has a wall and a discussion area plus a couple of extras. I setup a quick discussion called Hannah Home work Genie as a self help.
Will it work? I have no idea. Just maybe there is a Genie in the Bottle.
John

by Claire Browne -
HI There,

Sorry late starter on this forum I have been busy listening to other moodlers on the IMOOT 2010

Did anyone else go?

Fantastic FB Plugin, we have been testing it for over a week now.

A couple of things come to mind were:

Security: The authentication block did not provide ssl protection while logging into FB.

There is no filter on what a user can see friend status wise. Is there a way that we can restrict what friend status are present in the live stream box?

Aka no friends on a personal level just the organisation pages status are present.
In reply to Claire Browne

by Aaron Fulton -
Hi Claire,

Security should not be an issue. The Facebook login procedure is quite robust. Adding SSL is very very complex and unneeded.

With the live stream box the simple answer is that you cannot control the way it looks/works. It is a standard component from Facebook.
In reply to Aaron Fulton

by John Andrewartha -
Another use for FB & Moodle. Using frames in a page one has FB the other learning material ie video, diagram, etc. Use the Live Box as IM or blogg. Real time discussion on a common event in the same page.

by Michael Greek -

Hello everyone

I have moodle 1.9.12 and I tried today to install the fb plugin. Although i followed the procedure by the book i can authenticate through the popup window to facebook and then login with local credentials but my facebook account does not get linked with the Moodles' account...because the next time it asks again for linking? What do I do wrong?

Greetings

Michael