Site Wide User Report

Site Wide User Report

by Barry Oosthuizen -
Number of replies: 17
I have just made a new Grade Report which allows you to view all User Reports for all courses from any gradebook. You can also drill down to Site Wide User Reports for a specific student by clicking on their name. Course names act as Quicklinks to the standard user report of that specific course. If you have any questions, suggestions or problems just let me know. I just made this on Sunday so it has not had thorough testing yet.

You can download the report from the Modules and Plugins database at http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=3365

You can find more news on this report and track the progress of other modules in development at http://www.beauxcreations.com/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=34

Cheers,

Barry Oosthuizen

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Barry Oosthuizen

Re: Site Wide User Report

by alan murtagh -
Hi Barry
This is a great feature and works well. It's probably something I'm doing wrong but th only problem is that all courses in which the user is enrolled are showing up even where the user does not have permissions to view the grades in that particular course.
How do you prevent courses from appearing in the users report?
Many thanks
Alan
In reply to alan murtagh

by Barry Oosthuizen -
Hi Alan,

Thanks for your feedback. I probably have to do some more checks. To help me understand the bug, when will a user not have permission to view the grades in a particular course where they are enrolled in? Would that be when the grades are hidden or something? Do I understand correctly that students are seeing their own grades but they're not allowed to for some reason?

Cheers,

Barry

by alan murtagh -
Hi Barry
Not sure it's a bug at all really.
Basically there are some courses that I didn't want to appear in the user report (they have no graded items in them). I tried to prevent them appearing by changing the user permissions (by using roles and the gradebook settings) in those courses to prevent users from seeing grades.
So even though users cannot see their grades when they're in their course they do turn up on the sitewide user report.
I suppose the thing I'm really trying to do is to figure out how to select what courses appear in the user report.
Appreciate the assistance - really is an excellent feature.
Best regards
Alan
In reply to alan murtagh

by Barry Oosthuizen -
Hi Alan,

Yes, it's a missing check. So you use role overrides to prevent students from seeing certain user reports for certain courses?

I will update the download package maybe over next weekend if I get time (I'll add the same thing for the teacher view as well), but in the mean time try this:

In your grade/report/sitewideuser/index.php file:

change it to look like this (right at the end of the file): } else { //Students will see just their own report if (has_capability('gradereport/sitewideuser:view', $context)) { // Create a report instance $report = new grade_report_sitewideuser($courseid, $gpr, $context, $USER->id); // print the page print_heading(''.$thiscourse->shortname.' - '.get_string('modulename', 'gradereport_sitewideuser').'- '.fullname($report->user).''); if ($report->fill_table()) { echo '
'.$report->print_table(true); } echo "

"; } } } print_footer($course);

This way you can override the student's permissions in each course for the Site Wide User Report.

Let me know if it works for you, haven't had time to test it.

Cheers,

Barry

by alan murtagh -
Thanks Barry
Couldn't get it to work but will try again.
Best
Alan
In reply to alan murtagh

by Barry Oosthuizen -

Hi Alan,

Did you manage to edit the index.php file?  If not, you just need to add one line of code to the index.php file:

if (has_capability('gradereport/sitewideuser:view', $context)) {

after this line (near the end of the file):

} else { //Students will see just their own report

And then add one curly bracket just before

}
print_footer($course)

Sorry I don't have time to update things right now, pretty busy.  If you did manage to edit the file and it's not doing what you're expecting you'll need to give met more detail on the steps you're taking so I know what to add/fix etc.

Cheers,

Barry

by Dan Jeffries -
Hi

We've installed this block and am just waiting for some student feedback, but so far the tutors love the concept!

When announcing it, I did point out that some gradebooks would appear that students should ignore. We use courses for things such as Student discussions, resources etc - where there are no assignments.

However, it's pretty obvious where the feedback is.

We've been after a single-page report for a LONG time, so this is great!

Dan

by Shail Jai -
hello i got an error

Fatal error
: Call to undefined function print_grade_page_head() in /public_html/moodle/grade/report/sitewideuser/index.php on line 33

what is the wrong ?
In reply to Shail Jai

by Barry Oosthuizen -

Hi Shailesh, It seems the print_grade_page_head function was not available in 1.9.4.  Either you could upgrade or you could try using print_header_simple function instead (if you can figure it out).

Cheers,

Barry

by Barry Oosthuizen -
Hi everyone, I have updated my development version of the Site Wide User Report which now includes a category/course selector & some other minor fixes. It only works on Moodle 1.9.5 upwards.

If you'd like to try out the new code you can find it here.

I welcome your feedback on how it works for you.

Cheers,

Barry

by Jason Hollowell -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Barry,

This looks like an amazing tool. Thanks for the contribution. I have successfully installed both the Site Wide User Report and the Multi Grader Report and am trying to work out how to set up a situation where a counselor, for example, can monitor a group of students and their progress.

The "counselor" would need to have access to all the courses the students were enrolled in right? Initially I thought I would make the "counselor" the teacher in a meta course and include the courses necessary but that won't work as the "counselor" needs to have access to all courses the students are enrolled in. Any creative ideas here? I'm probably overlooking something simple. smile

Also, I realized that running this as admin puts a little bit of a load on the database server if you have a site that has many courses and users. Our site has approx. 600 courses and 4000+ users so there was a little lag as the page filled with all of the reports. Ideally I'm thinking this will not be accessed by the admin very frequently.

Adding this type of report as an admin accessible tab on each individual user's profile page would be a VERY nice way to present this information from a different perspective.

Jason
In reply to Jason Hollowell

by Barry Oosthuizen -

Hi Jason,

Thanks for taking a look at the new grade report plugins.  Not sure what to do about your counselor situation, maybe someone else has an idea.

I plan to add a category / course selection tool (with tick boxes) to both reports so that should solve the problem of waiting for too many reports to be displayed.  I think I should have some time in a month or two, pretty busy at the moment.

Also in the pipeline is a fix for letting the site wide user report work for the user's profile page.

Cheers,

Barry

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Thanks Barry,

You posted this message over a year ago. Did you ever release this update? The fix for letting the site wide user report work for the user's profile page sounds interesting...

Thanks.

回應: Site Wide User Report

by tong adam -
Hi, I use your module in 1.9 and feel great. However, now i upgrade my site to Moodle 2.0. Do you have plan to upgrade the sitewide report to 2.0 too? Thank you
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to tong adam

Re: 回應: Site Wide User Report

by Nathan Robbins -

I would also like to see this updated to 2.x

How much work would be involved to upgrade this report?

by Priscilla Mendes -

Hello, I know the topic is old, but if you can help me, anyway, I'll be thankful! My issue is that I want to use the site wide user report to a specific user, and it's not working in my moodle version, 2.3. When I click in the user name, as told in the plugin instructions, it simply shows the user report for an specific course, and I want to view the reports of all courses of this user in the same page.