Language dropdown list in TinyMCE editor ?

Language dropdown list in TinyMCE editor ?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 10
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi all,
Doing some tests on Moodle 2.0, just noticed that the Language dropdown list that we have in HTML editor is no longer available in TinyMCE editor. Is that the default? Why? is it configurable somewhere?
Joseph

Attachment image00.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Language dropdown list in TinyMCE editor ?

by Mauno Korpelainen -
It's one of those "Moodle HTMLArea hacks" that is not implemented to TinyMCE and has never been an official part of original HTMLArea or TinyMCE

As far as I have understood Petr is going to check settings of editor after main theme changes. wink
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Tom the Teacher -
I can't seem to find any current information about this issue, so I'm hoping in Moodle 2.0 this has been resolved and someone can simply point me to a solution smile.

Plainly put, I need Moodle to function completely in Chinese. I have the language pack installed so, of course the site content is no problem however when I want to input text into TinyMCE, I get a host of errors. Best I can tell, TinyMCE doesn't have language support installed to post Chinese characters.

Can anyone point me to a solution? I don't really want to create images of Chinese text and upload them.
In reply to Tom the Teacher

by Mauno Korpelainen -

It has nothing to do with TinyMCE or that old editor Lang menu that was used in HTMLArea to render multilang spans when people wanted to show the same content using different language in resourses according the selection of users language in site language menu or user profile.

If your site/moodle does not show chinese characters the problem might be in database - it should be using unicode & utf-8 characters - or you might be using some fonts that do not support chinese characters.

Moodle and tinymce do support unicode characters including chinese:

的支持中文字符

by Tom the Teacher -
Thank you so much for your quick and accurate reply. You were right on the money. The database collation was not set to utf-8 when it was setup (UTF-8 is not the default in mySQL I learned).

For anyone else who makes the same mistake or just needs to convert their collation to to the utf8_general_ci standard, I highly recommend using this free webtool. Worked great for me.

http://www.phoca.cz/documents/38-tools/154-how-to-change-collation-in-database

You will probably have to raise the default execution time (just edit the index.php file) 120 seconds isn't enough time for Moodle 2.0. My site is just a starter and it took about 4 minutes.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

BUMP !

Almost 2 years have gone by since I asked that question which has remained un-answered.

Any hope of seeing the good old language dropdown list restored to TinyMCE?

Joseph

by Mauno Korpelainen -

See http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-25490

2 years is a relatively short period in moodle 2.X development cycle wink

by Joseph Rézeau -

@Mano,

Thanks for pointing me to the tracker entry.

Well, 2 years may be a relatively short period, but the missing dropdown lang list is clearly a regression and 2 years waiting for a regression to be fixed certainly does not feel like a "short period".sad

Joseph

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

And in all those years, it has only got 2 3 votes, which is not very impressive.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Rosario Carcò -

As I said in another thread here, I switched off html_purifier (in 1.9 and 2.x) and make no use of HTML-editor to compose my multilanguage texts like latest news, etc.

Of course, for teachers, it may be a lot more comfortable to use the lang box in the HTML-editor. So I am going to vote for it.

Rosario