Update on FLV Player activity module

Update on FLV Player activity module

by Matt Bury -
Number of replies: 93
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi,

I've just uploaded a new activity module that is the successor to the FLV Player activity module. It has a lot more features and functions, including improved support for JW FLV Player plugins, a simpler SWFObject 2.2 embed method that is "gentler" with users without admin privileges and a more logical mod_form layout.

Here's the project site: http://code.google.com/p/moodle-mplayer/

If you can install it on your local testing server and report back any changes you'd like to see or any problems that you have with it, that'd be great. Please report back to the project site issues section so I can get back to you much faster.

P.S. I had to create a new module because it breaks some of the settings of the FLV Player module.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Matt Bury

Re: Update on FLV Player activity module

by Matt Bury -
The Media Player Activity Module is working better than expected and I've managed to get the Snapshot feature, where users can take a snapshot of a video and save it in the course files directory, to work reasonably securely and to allow its use on a user by user basis on each course just by creating the right destination directories with the selected users' IDs.

I've set up some demos of a lot of the features, though not all:

http://matbury.com/moodle/course/view.php?id=9#section-9 (Login as a guest)

If anyone wants to test it out on their local development servers, I'd love to hear back from you about it.

Thanks in advance!

All the best,

Matt smile
In reply to Matt Bury

by Bob Puffer -
Matt,
I've enjoyed greatly watching your work progress. Checked out The Media Player Activity Module and would like to give it a go on my test server.
Thanks for your work,
Bob Puffer
In reply to Matt Bury

by Barry Oosthuizen -
Hi Matt,

Sounds interesting, thanks for your efforts, I'd like to try it out as well.

Cheers,

Barry
In reply to Matt Bury

by Sankar Krishnan -
I tried it with YouTube.. Works Gr8. But when I try to upload a .WMV file... I get no response. From the download site/home it says that FLV, SWF, MOV F4V and many other types are supported, so I natuarally believe that .WMV files would work.

Please tell me I am wrong.

Apart from that I really love it..

- Sankar.
In reply to Sankar Krishnan

by Matt Bury -
Hi Shankar,

Unfortunately, Flash Player doesn't support the WMV media container and, as far as I know, Adobe have no plans to support it in the future.

There are several applications that can transcode from WMV to other formats that Flash Player supports but, if you possibly can, recode your video files from the original source video files. Transcoding degrades the video quality substantially.

For progressive download, i.e. videos stored in the course files directory (moodledata), also make sure that whatever software you use to encode your video puts the "MOOV atom" at the beginning of the video file, not at the end. If the MOOV atom is at the end, the entire video file has to download before playback can commence. This can take several minutes depending on Internet bandwidth and file size.

There's an Adobe AIR application that will move the MOOV atom in some video files for you without having to recode the video: http://renaun.com/blog/2008/02/25/250/

I hope this helps!

Matt
In reply to Matt Bury

by hamdi ihsan -
thanks you matt.... it's work great... and very hope full.. =) GBU... smile
In reply to Matt Bury

by Mathieu Pierotty -

Hi Matt.

i´m trying  to do some grouping on the FLV player resource, but i found that this action is not  available on this aplication.

Do you know if there is any possibility to creat this option for the FLV player resource, so i can deside wich video to run for a diferent group on my course?

thanks for the information

Mathieu

In reply to Matt Bury

by Jerome Di Pietro -
Great work Matt. All very exciting; both the FLV player and the SWF Activity Module. Will try them out properly as soon as I get the chance.
In reply to Jerome Di Pietro

by Matt Bury -
Hi,

I've just published an article about the Media Player module on my blog and I've recorded a demo video, deployed in my Moodle (the link is at the end of the article), demonstrating how easy it is to use:

http://matbury.com/wordpress/2010/02/25/new-media-player-module-for-moodle/

The video is very high resolution, 1280x720, but compressed using H.264 at 500Kbs so most people should be able to view it without too many problems. Please let me know if it stutters or takes too long to start!

All the best,

Matt
In reply to Matt Bury

回應: Re: Update on FLV Player activity module

by Mott Meng -

I have to know how to handle it and put an program into my website to enable flv online player, such as Youtube, etc.  www.cnjete.net

In reply to Matt Bury

by Tieku Bortei-Doku -
How can I get a YouTube video to auto-play instead of showing up as a link (that has to be clicked) when I create Media Player as an activity

Tieku
In reply to Matt Bury

by Giorgos Fousekis -
Hi Matt

mplayer is great. I have installed it and it works great. Im from Greece and i have a problem in the General form (Name and Descritpion) whatever i write in Greeks when i save it turns to ????????

Regards
Giorgos
In reply to Giorgos Fousekis

by Matt Bury -
Hi Girorgos,

That sounds like a database issue to me. Perhaps you could have your IT department check that the mplayer table entries have the correct encodings for the Greek alphabet. Please post your solution here if you find one.

Thanks,

Matt
In reply to Matt Bury

by Giorgos Fousekis -
Hi Matt

Yes it a database problem. I turn the collation for the table to utf8 and for the fields to utf8_unicode_ci. I use the phpmyadmin to do that. I change the collation of each field separately.

Thanks
Giorgos
In reply to Matt Bury

by Eamon Walsh -
Dear Matt

Thank you so much for adding mplayer - it is very helpful and useful.

I am currently organizing new courses on our LMS at http://onlinelearning.fpmt.org which have alot of video - one course has 14 sessions and each video is about 2 hours long.

Up to now i have just used progressive download for the videos through Moodle except for oneteaching which is outside Moodle and which is streaming video on a Red5 server (accessed from http://onlinelearning.fpmt.org/mod/resource/view.php?id=484)

These video files work well from this page and play fast and i configured mplayer to link to this red5 streaming server by changing the code to add the address etc. I then had this server as an option in mplayer and was able to add the video files for testing.

So when i view these streaming videos they start and then pause and just keep loading like it was buffering. If i fast forward in the file it shows a picture of the video at that point in the file and then starts playing for about 1 second and then starts loading / buffering on screen.

Any help / advice appreciated on what you think might be the source of this problem and please contact me for any further details or access to the test course i am using.

Eamon

Eamon Walsh
Online Learning Administrator, FPMT Inc
http://onlinelearning.fpmt.org

In reply to Eamon Walsh

by Matt Bury -
Hi Eamon,

Thank you for you kind words and support.

I don't provide support for streaming media services as this is part of the JW FLV Player itself, streaming media can get very complicated and their experts and forums are much more helpful than I could ever be. The JW FLV Player project site is here: http://www.longtailvideo.com/players/jw-flv-player and they have public help forums and an issues tracker that can help you with this.

Good luck and all the best! smile
In reply to Matt Bury

by angie dubis -
Hi Matt!

The Media Player is awesome!

Quick question. I notice on the help file it shows "camera" as being a media type, but camera doesn't show up in the dropdown menu when I go to select type. Am I missing something?

Angie
In reply to angie dubis

by Matt Bury -
Hi Angie, I'm pretty sure that the camera function only works with a connection to a media server. You'd need to contact your media service provider for details on how to set that up.

I hope this helps! smile
In reply to Matt Bury

by Brian Turner -

love the player, makes life so much easier.

have a problem though, because I am a complete muppet when it comes to writing xml code... is there an easy way to create a playlist without writing a load of xml code?

What i would like to do, is create a media player activity, then be able to choose from our own site, ALL the videos as a group (or playlist). Currently, all i can do is select one video clip and then create a new media player for each clip. Is there a plugin for creating playlists ? or am i missing something completely here...?

any help appreciated.

In reply to Brian Turner

by Matt Bury -
Hi Brian,

If you host your videos on YouTube, they have a lot lot of facilities for creating and managing playlists: http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/search.py?ctx=en-uk:searchbox&query=playlist

The JW FLV Player supports a number of different playlist formats so you could look for any sites or apps that create playlists for you. You can find info on their help site: http://www.longtailvideo.com/support/jw-player/jw-player-for-flash-v5/24/creating-a-playlist

I hope this helps! smile
In reply to Matt Bury

by Brian Turner -

ok, could some nice xml expert please tell me where i went wrong in this playlist.xml file....

this is my first ever xml file , but it doesnt work.

i have *** out the full links to protect our site. When i use this file, i get a black player with a small scrolly box thingy in the middle of it, but nothing opens and i dont get teh names down the side of the player.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<smil>
    <head>
        <meta name="title" content="Example SMIL playlist for the JW Player"/>
    </head>
    <body>
        <seq>
            <par>
                <video title="1.Introduction" src="http://www.*****.co.uk/vledata/41/EDL2010/1.Introduction.flv"/>
   <par>
                </par>
                <video title="2.Spanish and French_Song" src="http://www.*****.co.uk/vledata/41/EDL2010/2.Spanish_and_French_Song.flv"/>
            <par>
                </par>
                <video title="3.Prayer and Bible Reading" src="http://www.*****.co.uk/vledata/41/EDL2010/3.Prayer_and_Bible_Reading.flv"/>
            <par>
                </par>
                <video title="4.Prayer for Peace" src="http://www.*****.co.uk/vledata/41/EDL2010/4.Prayer_for_Peace.flv"/>
            <par>
                </par>
                <video title="5.Hip Hop Dance" src="http://www.*****.co.uk/vledata/41/EDL2010/5.Hip_Hop_Dance.flv"/>
            <par>
                </par>
                <video title="6.Irish Dancing" src="http://www.*****.co.uk/vledata/41/EDL2010/6.Irish_dancing.flv"/>
            <par>
                </par>
                <video title="7.Carrie Alexander Song and Mime Act" src="http://www.*****.co.uk/vledata/41/EDL2010/7.Carrie_Alexander_Song_and_Mime_Act.flv"/>
            </par>
                </seq>
            </body>
        </smil>

In reply to Matt Bury

by Keith Wills -

I love the Media Player Module. I have used it on a number of short video instructions I made of screen captures and it works great. My problem is on longer and larger files in .mov or even mp4 format. I want to show 3 hours of class video and when I load them they seem to work fine but then freeze up midway into the presentation. Any ideas? Is this a Moodle issue or my server's issue?

In reply to Keith Wills

by Matt Bury -

@Brian: The error is here:

<par>
<video title="1.Introduction" src="http://www.*****.co.uk/vledata/41/EDL2010/1.Introduction.flv"/>
<par>
</par>

It should be:

<par><video title="1.Introduction" src="http://www.*****.co.uk/vledata/41/EDL2010/1.Introduction.flv"/></par>

Remember that XML tags have to open and close evenly. Make sure that every opening <par> tag has a symetrical closing </par> tag and likewise for all the tags in the file.

@Keith: I don't recommend deploying videos of more than 20 minutes in length as this is more than likely to overload users' browsers and plugins in general, causing those irritating crashes and freezes. It also makes it difficult for users to resume viewing from where they left of if the stream is interrupted or they take a break. I'd break the videos up into 10 minute files and deploy them in a playlist OR pay a streaming media service provider.

I hope this helps! smile

In reply to Matt Bury

by Tony Bleything -

Hello Matt,

I just sent you a previous note.  I have realized that the problem is with firefox.  For some reason, I can't view the mplayer in Firefox.  Have you found this to be a problem or is there something I am doing wrong?  It does work in Chrome and Safari.

In reply to Tony Bleything

by Matt Bury -

Are you sure you haven't got a Flash blocker or No-script plugin installed in Firefox?

In reply to Matt Bury

by Tony Bleything -

I'm not sure, how would i check that?  I am pretty novice at all this...

In reply to Matt Bury

by Tony Bleything -

I checked on those add-ons, and I don't have them.  I disabled nearly all the add ons that I do have and it still isn't working.

In reply to Tony Bleything

by Matt Bury -

I can't reproduce the problem.

In reply to Matt Bury

Re: Update on FLV Player activity module for Moodle 2.0

by William Ratto -

Hi Matt,

I can't tell you how useful your plugin is!!!! I have a site that uses primarily very large interactive videos.

I need to know if the latest plugin will work on 2.0. If not could you please tell me if your plugin will be available for 2.0 smile I am really lost without it.

Also if not could you tell me how to resize the default size height and width window settings in  the default player in Moodle 2.0.

If I ever start making a little money I will support your development of this plugin all I can.

Also if you ever need a tester I'm here to help.

Sincerely

William Ratto

In reply to William Ratto

by Matt Bury -

Hi William,

Thanks for your kind words of support! smile

AFAIK, most Moodle 1.* modules are not compatible with Moodle 2.0. None of my modules will work correctly in Moodle 2.0.

I'm still not up to speed with Moodle 2.0's new file API and have very little time to spend on it at the moment. I do have plans to create new branches for Moodle 2.0 but not any time soon.

I hope this helps!

In reply to Matt Bury

by William Ratto -

Hi Matt,

Happy New Year to you...

I un-installed 2.0 and went back to 1.9.10 version, in my opinion 2.0 is not ready for productions sites, that being said in stalled your media player, but have noticed that many of the options that I used before are not available this time. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

William

In reply to Matt Bury

by Keith Bloom -

I have spent a great dfeal of time thus far updating mPlayer for 2.0 compliance. I have sorted out all the data base related issues and have forms workinfg for the most part with a single exception. I cannot find a solution to the editor error I get when using the legacy code in mod_form.php @ line 55:

"$mform->addElement('format', 'introformat', get_string('format'));"

With that line acrtive in mplayer/mod_form.php, the following error is returned:

"Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: MFORMS: Coding error, text formats are handled only by new editor element."

If i comment it out, i get an error on form submission saying:

"Error writing to database.

Debug info: Column 'introformat' cannot be null
UPDATE lclmdl_mplayer SET name = ?,intro = ?,mplayerfile = ?,type = ?,streamer = ?,playlist = ?,playlistsize = ?,item = ?,mplayerrepeat = ?,shuffle = ?,configxml = ?,notes = ?,width = ?,height = ?,skin = ?,image = ?,icons = ?,controlbar = ?,backcolor = ?,frontcolor = ?,lightcolor = ?,screencolor = ?,smoothing = ?,quality = ?,autostart = ?,fullscreen = ?,stretching = ?,volume = ?,mute = ?,mplayerstart = ?,bufferlength = ?,plugins = ?,author = ?,mplayerdate = ?,title = ?,description = ?,tags = ?,audiodescriptionfile = ?,audiodescriptionstate = ?,audiodescriptionvolume = ?,captionsback = ?,captionsfile = ?,captionsfontsize = ?,captionsstate = ?,hdbitrate = ?,hdfile = ?,hdfullscreen = ?,hdstate = ?,infoboxcolor = ?,infoboxposition = ?,infoboxsize = ?,livestreamfile = ?,livestreamimage = ?,livestreaminterval = ?,livestreammessage = ?,livestreamstreamer = ?,livestreamtags = ?,logoboxalign = ?,logoboxfile = ?,logoboxlink = ?,logoboxmargin = ?,logoboxposition = ?,metaviewerposition = ?,metaviewersize = ?,searchbarcolor = ?,searchbarlabel = ?,searchbarposition = ?,searchbarscript = ?,snapshotbitmap = ?,snapshotscript = ?,logofile = ?,logolink = ?,logohide = ?,logoposition = ?,fpversion = ?,tracecall = ?,course = ?,introformat = ?,timemodified = ? WHERE id=?
[array (..."

So i have tried to find the code that is attempting to include a NULL value for introformat in $DB->update_record() command and have been unsuccessful. I have even tried inserting a $mform->addElement('hidden','introformat',"1") to load the equivalent of 'HTML Format" into database update array without success.

It may be a tall order, but does this make sense to you? I would be very willing to send you my update in progress with the updated database and other $mform elements if you would like to run your own diff.

Since the modedit.php page in course directory is calling functions in the mod/mplayer/mod_form.php, I highly suspect I am overlooking something critical with this introformat issue. It seems that the new 2.0 code base for Workshop has a similar $mform->addElement('format'...) component, but I am getting buggy myself trying to figure out where the function goes with the intro text array...

Keith

In reply to Keith Bloom

by Matt Bury -

Hi Keith,

AFAIK, the introformat parameter is required by the database table and any attempts by Moodle to insert a new record will be rejected by MySQL or whichever database you're using. I guess the only way to fix it is to find out how to include that column insertion code in mod_form.php.

Have you looked at the other Moodle 2.0 modules to see how they do it?

I hope this helps.

Matt

In reply to Matt Bury

by Keith Bloom -

i have looked at Workshops and Forums, but the trail is muddied a bit. Could be too much caffeine in the search engine. I'll circle back and try again anew this a.m.

Once the error codes are vacated, I will send you the module code so you can review and use it as a jumping point for a 2.0 update if you like.

Keith

In reply to Matt Bury

by Keith Bloom -

Figured it out. New modules that support intro editor use the following code to load elements into $mform:

$this->add_intro_editor(true, get_string('description', 'mplayer'));

This essentially tells moodle that the module supports intro editor and then creates the editor box and the format selector elements.

I should have the module 2.0 compliant in full by week's end.

In reply to Keith Bloom

by Matt Bury -

That sounds great. Thank you so much for your time and work. I'm sure plenty of people will appreciate your contribution! smile

In reply to Keith Bloom

by Ben Frueh -

Matt - I've been really happy with this module on 1.9. Thanks for all your work.

Matt and Keith - I am working on a 2.0 server now and was wondering about the status of your updates? I see on Google Code mentions of continuing file API issues.

Thanks again!

In reply to Ben Frueh

by Matt Bury -

Hi Ben & Keith,

I don't know what the progress has been on the Moodle 2.0 front for the Media Player module. I've been very busy with projects.

I have, however, added an HTML5 fallback for the 1.9 version (Literally 3 lines of code!). This is specifically for iPhone, iPad and iPod(?) users because iOS blocks Flash Player. Most other mobile devices support Flash Player 10.1 so this isn't an issue for them.

All the best,

Matt

In reply to Matt Bury

by Keith Bloom -

I have a working instance of mPlayer on my dev.telepresenceu.com Moodle 2.0.2 development site. It has a migration script from 1.9 and seems to work but would like feedback.

I borrowed heavily from the resource module code to bridge the file management differences from 1.9 to 2.0. As a result, on first install, all existing media files are migrated into the new 'filedir' directory in your moodledata directory and then cascaded into hash indexed subdirectories.

It works for me and I have one other developer having a look at it. Would you like to try it as well?

Keith

In reply to Keith Bloom

by Matt Bury -

Thank you so much for your hard work Keith!

I can't wait to try it out. smile

In reply to Matt Bury

by Justin West -

Matt/Keith,

I would like to know progress of this update. I am helping a friend with his site and would be willing to integrate the update into it in an effort to help the evaluation process along. Please let me know what you will need me to do.

Thanks!

Justin

In reply to Keith Bloom

by Christoph Stadlbauer -

Hello Keith,

Can you tell when the new version will be available?

I wrote a litte plugin for our school for Moodle 2.0 and our headmaster can't wait to see it on our production site. Since some of my colleagues are using the mplayer activity, I can't update till I have a (at least half way) working version of mplayer.

I was thinking of doing it myself but then found your post, and I think time will also be against me.

I would be very glad to get a test version or if I could do anything else to help to your work - let me know.

Christoph

In reply to Christoph Stadlbauer

by Keith Bloom -

See the thread for download info on mplayer20_beta.zip and mplayerlib.php file needed for testing install.

Keith

In reply to Keith Bloom

by Matt Bury -

Hi Keith,

I've finally got round to having a look at the Media Player module for Moodle 2.0 that you sent me. I'm getting a blank screen because it's looking for a lib file that doesn't exist:

require_once("$CFG->libdir/mplayerlib.php");

I couldn't find this file anywhere.

Also, it's showing up as a resource. I'm guessing this is deliberate and probably a good idea.

Any help?

All the best,

Matt

In reply to Matt Bury

by Justin West -

Matt/Keith,

If there was available funding, would that help to move this update forward? How about available assistance?

Thanks

Justin

In reply to Justin West

by Matt Bury -

Hi Justin,

Time is the issue for me. just too busy at the moment.

Keith?

In reply to Matt Bury

by Keith Bloom -

Apologies for the tardy reply. I didn't expect you to continue the conversation here Matt, so I haven't been looking.

The new 2.0 module needs the mplayerlib.php for the /lib directory, I thought I included it in the email I sent as a loose file compressed with the mplayer directory that goes in /mod.

Let me collect it again and then I will make a downloadable link at http://www.keithbloom.com/moodle/mplayer20_beta.zip.

No warranty is expressed or implied, however I will do my best to address issues that my pop up with each tester's implementation of it. In the porcess of upgrading, it clones all of your existing media files and resaves them in the filemanager 2.0 architecture. If you have a lot of large media files, it will take a while to complete, especially on a shared server.

Keith

In reply to Keith Bloom

by Werner Gold -

Hello Keith,

I tried the beta with 2.1 and whenever I upload a file, I receive a DB error:

Debug info: Unknown column 'display' in 'field list'
SELECT id, name, display, displayoptions, tobemigrated, revision FROM emeadef_mplayer WHERE id = ?
[array (
0 => '1',
)]
Stack trace:
  • line 393 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: dml_read_exception thrown
  • line 794 of /lib/dml/mysqli_native_moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->query_end()
  • line 1279 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: call to mysqli_native_moodle_database->get_records_sql()
  • line 1251 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->get_record_sql()
  • line 1231 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->get_record_select()
  • line 237 of /mod/mplayer/lib.php: call to moodle_database->get_record()
  • line 1125 of /course/lib.php: call to mplayer_get_coursemodule_info()
  • line 1124 of /lib/modinfolib.php: call to get_array_of_activities()
  • line 564 of /course/modedit.php: call to rebuild_course_cache()
In reply to Justin West

by Keith Bloom -

Donations gladly accepted, funding is a treat.

I have posted 2.0 compatible mplayer module that is working on my testing server when upgrading from 1.9.9. I am eager to get feedback on others' experience with the migration script, and ultimately, i still have work to do on the player window control settings, however the core is well structured and seems very resilient.

http://www.keithbloom.com/moodle/mplayer20_beta.zip

You will also need the attached library file (mplayerlib.php) if it is not included in the mplayer202.zip archive. Is it to be saved to the /lib directory in your moodle root.

Keith

In reply to Keith Bloom

by Christoph Stadlbauer -

Tried on a clean install today. (I know that your primary goal was a working upgrade)

Only workes for me with attached install.xml and Javascript disabled. (I'm sure there are a little to many DB-fields.)

With enabled JS I get:

SCRIPT438: Das Objekt unterstützt die Eigenschaft oder Methode "init_flvflowplayer" nicht 
view.php?id=24, Zeile 372 Zeichen 1

Ressource lib uses M.util.add_video_player but I wasn't able to get it to work by now.

Christoph

In reply to Christoph Stadlbauer

by Keith Bloom -

Hmmm. It is possible that because you are doing a clean install on 2.0, there may be some 1.9.9 resources deprecated and not included in 2.0 that are needed outside of files I attached.

The core of my upgrade is based around the resource acivity module, so it may be the file(s) you seek are part of the 1.9.9 resource library, which may in turn, also be upgraded/altered during migration from 1.9.9 to 2.0.

Unfortunately, I am going to be some time before I can try to troubleshoot a clean install break. I have a full plate at the office and on side projects for the next few weeks.

Has anyone else attempted a clean install with the files Christoph attached?

Keith

In reply to Keith Bloom

by Carlos Suso -

Hi i have installed the mplayer20_beta plugin in my Moodle 2.0 and it give me not errors but in the moment i want create an activity with the plugin i get an error. I put de debugging in developer mode and now in the moment i want to insert the Media player activity i get the next error.

Please can you help me with this??

Invalid get_string() identifier: 'mplayerdisplayauto' or component 'moodle'
  • line 5869 of /lib/moodlelib.php: call to debugging()
  • line 6424 of /lib/moodlelib.php: call to core_string_manager->get_string()
  • line 103 of /lib/mplayerlib.php: call to get_string()
  • line 77 of /mod/mplayer/mod_form.php: call to mplayerlib_get_displayoptions()
  • line 152 of /lib/formslib.php: call to mod_mplayer_mod_form->definition()
  • line 71 of /course/moodleform_mod.php: call to moodleform->moodleform()
  • line 219 of /course/modedit.php: call to moodleform_mod->moodleform_mod()
Invalid get_string() identifier: 'mplayerdisplayembed' or component 'moodle'
  • line 104 of /lib/mplayerlib.php: call to get_string()
Invalid get_string() identifier: 'mplayerdisplayframe' or component 'moodle'
  • line 105 of /lib/mplayerlib.php: call to get_string()
Invalid get_string() identifier: 'mplayerdisplaynew' or component 'moodle'
  • line 106 of /lib/mplayerlib.php: call to get_string()
Invalid get_string() identifier: 'mplayerdisplaydownload' or component 'moodle'
  • line 107 of /lib/mplayerlib.php: call to get_string()
Invalid get_string() identifier: 'mplayerdisplayopen' or component 'moodle'
  • line 108 of /lib/mplayerlib.php: call to get_string()
Invalid get_string() identifier: 'mplayerdisplaypopup' or component 'moodle'
  • line 109 of /lib/mplayerlib.php: call to get_string()
In reply to Matt Bury

by Keith Bloom -

It is showing up as a resource because that was the 2.0 template I used as starting blocks. I suppose when all the kinks are ironed out, I will see if we can get the mplayer activity type officially recognized.

FWIW, I am not sure about whether the jwplayer legacy code will even come into play in the 2.0 version, it is the remaining block of cleanup to do. The player window configuration settings are now stored in a serialized array, and I think since I borrowed the roots of that function from the new resource player, we may now benefit from logo/license free media display. All that said, all 42 media files in my existing moodle1.9.9 site migrated cleanly and play successfully in my testing instance of moodle2.0.2.

Keith

In reply to Keith Bloom

by Derek Chirnside -

Keith, you comment "I suppose when all the kinks are ironed out, I will see if we can get the mplayer activity type officially recognized"

Do you mean into the core?

If so: there are coding guidelines (etc etc)

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Category:Coding_guidelines

Might as well get the best mileage for your time.

-Derek

In reply to Keith Bloom

by Jody Steele -

Hi Keith; Matt,

We're investigating upgrading to moodle 2 and as Media Player is a module we use a lot I figured I'd test out your modification.

After getting it installed (was installing to a fresh 2.1 so the database wasn't setup properly as someone else noted below), I discovered that the module does not work with non-file type media entries (Youtube, RTMP, HTTP, etc).

Since we have an RTMP server where all of our video content goes this is a show stopper.  I'll be working on it, as my priorities allow, to get it back in line with the 1.9.X version, but i was just curious if either of you had made any headway into making it feature compatible.

Cheers,

Jody Steele

In reply to Jody Steele

by Matt Bury -

Hi Jody,

No, I haven't made any headway. Your contribution is very welcome. Thank you for your time and expertise! smile

In reply to Jody Steele

by Marie-Josée Leblanc -

Hi,

We are planning of upgrading to Moodle 2.1 next semestre and since we have an RTMP server, I was just wondering if you have any idea of when this feature will be available with the FLV Player for Moodle 2.1.

Thanks!

In reply to Marie-Josée Leblanc

by Serg Tolpygin -

Can anybody upload again mplayer20_beta.zip file and get link ?

Thanks.

In reply to Keith Bloom

by Will Taylor -

any progress on updating to Moodle 2+ ?

reliance on this module is one of the major reasons I have not yet upgraded my platforms to Moodle 2 - I use lots of video, and this is one slick way to elegantly implement that

In reply to Will Taylor

by Elias Cisneros -

Hello,

This Module is excellent, any progress on updating to Moodle 2+ ?

Bye

In reply to Elias Cisneros

by Keith Bloom -

See thread for download information on mplayer20_beta.zip and mplayerlib.php file.

It is a working "work in Progress". Any experience/feedback would be appreciated.

In reply to Keith Bloom

by Chad S -

I get the following message - even after uploading the mplayerlib file into the /lib folder...

----------------------

Plugin "mod_mplayer" is defective or outdated, can not continue, sorry.

More information about this error

Debug info: Missing mandatory en language pack.
Stack trace:
  • line 462 of /lib/upgradelib.php: plugin_defective_exception thrown
  • line 265 of /lib/upgradelib.php: call to upgrade_plugins_modules()
  • line 1426 of /lib/upgradelib.php: call to upgrade_plugins()
  • line 290 of /admin/index.php: call to upgrade_noncore()
 -----------------
I'd love to be able to use this mod - I read great things about it!!
Thanks
In reply to Keith Bloom

by Lael ... -

Hi Keith,

I was happy to see there is work being done on moving mplayer to Moodle2. We have a number of video resources we use in classes and it is a much better player than the filters included by default in Moodle. I was wondering if you might be able to make the download available again? I checked out the link to keithbloom.com/etcetc but its returning a 404, and browsing through the exposed folder system it doesn't seem like there is a moodle folder there anymore.

Any help you can give would be very appreciated.

In reply to Matt Bury

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Matt. I use your Media PLayer mod a lot on my site.

Is there any way for users to post comments within the mod just like in Youtube where each video watched has a section where you can read viewers' comments?

Frankie Kam

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Matt Bury -

Hi Frankie,

I think the best options to do that would be either to use an iFrame to emebed the whole YouTube page or to see if they provide an API that does what you want and write an application or module for Moodle.

In reply to Matt Bury

by Greg Jeffrey -

Can anyone advise on progress with an update to Mediaplayer for 2.1 please?  I find it really useful, as a direct link to YouTube encourages students to all the 'suggested' files and adverts.  I have 170 instances on my 1.9 site and my admin is intent on updating.  At the moment the "Download latest version" link takes me to a dead google code page.
If I can't find an update I'll have to redo all of my links with a far less satisfactory option sad

In reply to Greg Jeffrey

by Matt Bury -

Hi Greg,

The Google Code project site is at:

Current version: http://code.google.com/p/moodle-mplayer/

Old deprecated version: http://code.google.com/p/moodle-flv-player/

In reply to Matt Bury

by Greg Jeffrey -

http://code.google.com/p/moodle-mplayer/
Thanks
Matt, but I'm getting a Google response of:-
"500. That’s an error. The server encountered an error and could not complete your request."  sad

In reply to Greg Jeffrey

by Matt Bury -

Hi Greg,

Ths link works OK for me. Try copying and pasting the link into your browser's address bar. It's definitely: http://code.google.com/p/moodle-mplayer/

In reply to Matt Bury

by Greg Jeffrey -

Thanks Matt - don't know what happened there, but I had left the screen open overnight and just hitting refresh this morning - bingo smile   However it does specify Ver 1.9 - I had missed the fact that Keith was working on 2.x and his version lives elsewhere.  http://www.keithbloom.com/moodle/mplayer20_beta.zip plus
mplayer.php
Fingers crossed smile
Greg

In reply to Greg Jeffrey

by Matt Bury -

Yeaah, Moodle seems to be doing some kind of redirect with your link:

http://moodle.org/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://code.google.com/p/moodle-mplayer/

In reply to Greg Jeffrey

by Ishan Anders -

Hi Greg,

I installed the beta for Moodle 2.x

Do you have also?

Playing around I get an error, when trying to restore a course in Moodle 2.x. The debugger told me, that "restore_mplayer_stepslib.php" is missing. Do you know something about that issue?

The file should reside in "mod/mplayer/backup/moodle2"

Thanks for any hints and suggestions

Ishan

In reply to Ishan Anders

by chris liv -

Hi
I recently submitted a issue on the module tracker re; an issue with 2.1. Thought I might post here too, to see if others are experiencing this.

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. MAMP Mac install. Moodle 2.1
2. mplayer' and 'mplayerlib.php installed

What is the expected output?
I installed the 'mplayer' folder and 'mplayerlib.php' in their correct spots. Turned on debug mode and received the following error (point 1.)immediately after selecting 'Media player' from the 'Add a Resource' menu.
Then upon uploading an flv with title/description etc, I received the error at point 2.

cheers, and thanks for any help
chris

Point 1.

Invalid get_string() identifier: 'mplayerdisplayauto' or component 'moodle'

line 5908 of /lib/moodlelib.php: call to debugging()
    line 6498 of /lib/moodlelib.php: call to core_string_manager->get_string()
    line 103 of /lib/mplayerlib.php: call to get_string()
    line 77 of /mod/mplayer/mod_form.php: call to mplayerlib_get_displayoptions()
    line 154 of /lib/formslib.php: call to mod_mplayer_mod_form->definition()
    line 71 of /course/moodleform_mod.php: call to moodleform->moodleform()
    line 219 of /course/modedit.php: call to moodleform_mod->moodleform_mod()
----------

Point 2.

Debug info: Unknown column 'display' in 'field list'
SELECT id, name, display, displayoptions, tobemigrated, revision FROM mdl_mplayer WHERE id = ?
[array (
0 => '4',
)]
Stack trace:

line 394 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: dml_read_exception thrown
    line 794 of /lib/dml/mysqli_native_moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->query_end()
    line 1285 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: call to mysqli_native_moodle_database->get_records_sql()
    line 1257 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->get_record_sql()
    line 1237 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->get_record_select()
    line 237 of /mod/mplayer/lib.php: call to moodle_database->get_record()
    line 1125 of /course/lib.php: call to mplayer_get_coursemodule_info()
    line 1124 of /lib/modinfolib.php: call to get_array_of_activities()
    line 564 of /course/modedit.php: call to rebuild_course_cache()

What do you see instead?
Without debug mode on; the movie uploads etc, however, upon 'save' an error is produced and no movie eventuates.

In reply to chris liv

by Ishan Anders -

Hi Chris,

same issue by me.

I need to uninstall the plugin sad

Any news?

Ishan

In reply to Matt Bury

by llywelyn morgan -

Hi

Great player.  Is there any way to force the player to open in a new window?  I can't find the option in settings.

Llywelyn

In reply to Matt Bury

by Kevin Hunt -

Moodle 1.9.11+

Great module and very useful.

Is there any (easy) way to embed in a forum post ? I use forums for assignment help and would like to include some videos from YouTube (rather than just linking to them).

Thanks

In reply to Kevin Hunt

by Matt Bury -

Hi Kevin,

You can do it with an iframe. It's the same principle as YouTube.com embedding. See here: http://code.google.com/p/moodle-mplayer/wiki/MediaPlayerInMoodleQuizzes

Good luck!

In reply to Matt Bury

by Jorge OYARZO -

Any news about an update for using this plug in with moodle 2.1? I would really appreciate this to work with my site, thanks in advance

In reply to Jorge OYARZO

by Matt Bury -

Update:

It looks like any version of the Media Player module for Moodle 2.x won't be able to natively support playlists, i.e. videos, thumbnail files, captions, etc. will have to be hosted and managed outside of Moodle's new file API. Please see this discussion thread for more details: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=189665

Matt black eye

In reply to Matt Bury

by Lael ... -

Hi,

Is there still development occurring on the mediaplayer module for Moodle 2? I haven't been able to find any new releases / information on it?

In reply to Matt Bury

Vastus: Re: Update on FLV Player activity module

by Tõnis Tartes -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I've made a little script/hack for Moodle 1.9 to convert all FLVPlayer instances to MPlayer instaces, because it seems that MPlayer has better chances getting support in Moodle 2.x than FLVPlayer.

https://github.com/t6nis/FLVPlayer-to-MPlayer-instance

Anyway before using this script make sure you have FLVPlayer and MPlayer installed in your Moodle 1.9 installation and i recommend you do backups before using it, also read the README before using...

In reply to Tõnis Tartes

Re: Vastus: Re: Update on FLV Player activity module

by Matt Bury -

Hi Tõnis,

Thanks for sharing! I'm sure a lot of people will find this useful. Have you had any feedback on how well it works on other people's systems?

Thanks again for all your hard work.

In reply to Matt Bury

by Lynn Harvey -

a 2.3 version ???

In reply to Lynn Harvey

by Matt Bury -

Hi Lynn,

No, still nothing yet. Sorry! sad

In reply to Matt Bury

by Ayman Baba -

Hi Matt, any idea when will you have mplayer support 2.3?

Thanks

In reply to Ayman Baba

by Tyler Gilpin -

I believe this project is dead. No response from Matt for almost a year now. sad

In reply to Tyler Gilpin

by Matt Bury -

Hi there everyone,

Nope, it's not dead. The Media Player module is an adaptation of the SWF Activity Module which I've been working on, on and off. See: http://code.google.com/p/moodle-mplayer/issues/detail?id=8

The new Media Player more than likely won't be upgradeable from Moodle 1.9. There are too many issues with making that transition and in many cases it may fail anyway; for example, I can't see an easy way to support XML, Atom, etc. playlists. So, it'll basically be a new Media Player module for Moodle 2.x.

On the upside, I'm going to make it so that you can add other Flash media players and choose between them, e.g. the default player is the JW Player but it can also use a Strobe Media player (http://www.osmf.org/strobe_mediaplayback.html) or a custom Flash media player, perhaps using the Open Source Media Framework (http://www.osmf.org/) or a similar project.

Meanwhile, there are some other media player plugins (filters and modules) being proposed too. I'd have a search through these forums to see what you can turn up.

In reply to Matt Bury

by Morris Cerullo -

Hi Matt,

Any updates on this project?

Thank you.

In reply to Morris Cerullo

by Matt Bury -

Hi Morris and welcome to Moodle.org!

I have a beta version of the SWF Activity Module available. It incorporates 2 media players; the JW Player and the free and open source Strobe Media Playback (Backed by Akamai and Adobe).

On my Github.com account: https://github.com/matbury/SWF-Activity-Module2.5

On Moodle plugins repo: https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=mod_swf

I've also managed to come up with a workaround for the issues with Moodle's file management system which uses Moodle's File Repository system instead (requires FTP to upload files).

I hope this helps! smile