Dropping support for multiple submissions in workshop

Dropping support for multiple submissions in workshop

by David Mudrák -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
In Workshop 1.x, teachers can "allow resubmissions" which means students can submit more pieces of work and each of them is then assessed separately (IMHO the name of the setting is confusing). It has shown during testing that this may introduce quite problematic situations and it does not fit into the new workshop framework at all.
In Workshop 2.0, every student can have just one submission in one activity instance. This allows certain things - like allocating submissions for review or calculating the final grades - to be more intuitive.
The question is how shall we handle the migration of legacy workshops where there are more submissions uploaded and assessed. I would need to know how common it is for you to have workshops with 'Allow resubmissions' on.

Thanks for any suggestion
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Mudrák

Re: Dropping support for multiple submissions in workshop

by Vernellia Randall -
In the three years of using workshop extensively, I have never used that feature and don't forsee myself every using it.
In reply to David Mudrák

by ben reynolds -
I have never used Workshop (because it was nonstandard when we began with Moodle), but I plan to use it when 2.0 comes out.

If you were to drop "allow resubmissions," what happens in the case where a user uploads the wrong file?
In reply to ben reynolds

by Dan McGuire -
Ben brings up a good point. I've only used the Workshop module a little, but 'mistakes' in submission by students need to be able to be revised and resubmitted. Otherwise, a new workshop assignment will be necessary.
In reply to Dan McGuire

by Stephan Rinke -
Hi,

I agree with Ben and Dan. While I have never used the resubmit option in the past, there must be an option to allow a student to resubmit if a mistake happens. Even if this is just that the teacher can swap the file for example.

Best,

Stephan
In reply to David Mudrák

by Vernellia Randall -

I think of multiple submission and resubmission as two different things. Could we allow the student to delete a previous submission and resubmit. Thus, only having one submission.

In reply to Vernellia Randall

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

multiple submission and resubmission as two different things.

Exactly, this is how the new workshop has been designed. Workshop allows students submitting their work during the Submission phase (additional checks based on dates are possible). If the workshop is in the Submission phase, students can submit and/or modify their submission. They actually can't delete the submission record (for a good reason as it can already be allocated for the following peer-assessment). But they of course can delete the submission "body" (online text) and remove all attachments. Removing attachments is standard feature of Moodle 2.0 "File picker" component.

Allowing legacy "resubmission" (the name of this setting is really confusing in 1.9 as it is not "re-submit" but "submit multiple times") leads to really strange situations. The problem is the eventual additional submissions must be processed somehow during the migration. I have an idea of converting all extra student submissions into teacher examples. That way seems to be the best compromise between data loss and data integrity.

Workshop users are not expected to migrate from 1.9 to 2.0 in live courses, anyway. Migration should be considered mainly as a way to keep workshop assignment and have data and grades archived somehow. Note that grades calculation is not 100% backward-compatible so if you re-calculate workshop grades in 2.0, you will probably get slightly different figures - especially in grades for assessments (grading grades).

In reply to David Mudrák

by Lauren Keinath -
Thanks for this clarification. I have been using the Workshop for awhile now, and really like its potential. I am looking forward to the upgrades in 2.0.

I don't know that I made the distinction of re-submission and multiple submissions; thanks for making me more aware of this. Given what you have said, and students have the ability to correct errors during the submission phase, I would not use multiple submissions.