Converting custom modules to 2.0

Converting custom modules to 2.0

by sam marshall -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
At the Open University we've created / had created many custom Moodle modules and plugins, some large and complex. (Several of these - OU wiki, OU blog, ForumNG) are available to the public, so you can see and use them if you want to.)

Upgrading all these to 2.0 is a bit of a scary thought. smile

I - and I'm sure others - would appreciate input from anyone who has already converted a custom module to work properly with 2.0. It's early days given that 2.0 is not even in beta, so I hardly expect many people have. However, people can always add to this discussion later. smile

I'd like to know (a) about timescale [converting a simple module took X hours/days/whatever, converting a more complex one took Y] and (b) about difficulty - i.e. does it work almost 'by rote' so that we could get less experienced developers to do it by following a wiki page - there doesn't seem to be a single one yet, or I couldn't find it, but I guess there will be - or did it require many complicated decisions about new approaches, or something in the middle.

The reason for this is so that I can give my employer some idea of how difficult we're expecting the conversion to be. At present, I'd say my expectation is that module changes will be significant but not too bad, while dealing with our changes to core (deciding some are no longer necessary, re-implementing others) is probably more serious.

--sam
Average of ratings: -
In reply to sam marshall

Re: Converting custom modules to 2.0

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I'll try and remember what I did... This happened over a long period of time. Going back through commits, here are the major changes...

Change
Description
Difficulty
Comment
Documentation
Database refactoring changing all database calls to new database API significant Requires restructuring of database functions to use new array structure for arguments.
Moodle Docs
Output refactoring changing all output functions to use combination of $PAGE and $OUTPUT class functions very significant This one took me a long time, because I did it once quite a while ago, and then the API changed again. You may need to re-check what old code did in old API's to successfully convert new code.
Moodle Docs
Forms changes
change htmleditor element to editor element. May need to change to use new "intro" element.
medium
Need to look at old code and refactor for options.
??

Average of ratings: Useful (1)