A taste of Wiki 2.0 ... alpha but functional version.

A taste of Wiki 2.0 ... alpha but functional version.

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Number of replies: 9
Hi there,
now that Moodle 2.0 core imporvements seem to have setlet down we have caught speed in the development of wiki 2.0.
We are ready to release a version for testing. You can download it in this link:
DO NOT USE THIS IN A PRODUCTION ENVIRONMENT!!!!
I have tested it in a clean install on today's release of Moodle 2.0 dev.
Copy the Mod/wiki folder into the moodle's Mod/wiki folder (replacing completelly the folder)
And you may also copy the contents of the /blocks folder into the /blocks folder of the moodle 2.0.
A clean install worked fine, so far.
This version features a functional wiki featuring Creole 1.0 parser, Mediawiki like parser, and HTML WYSIWYG page edition. The teacher can let the students choose the page format of make mandatory one format.
The blocks don't work very well.
As you may see the page differences engine has been borrowed from OUWiki.
A migration engine is in place, but requires heavy testing.
Now starts the process of testing testing and testing. And completing lots of features remaining.
Feedback, bug reports and chocolate are most welcome.
Ludo

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

Re: A taste of Wiki 2.0 ... alpha but functional version.

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
I forgot, this version also features page section edits and locks.

by Xavier de Pedro -
Wohooooo, that is very interesting!
Thanks ludo & ludo's team.
I'll give it a go in a testing environment in a few days!
Cheers
Xavi

by James Bossert -
Thanks Ludo!! smile

Here at NC State, we've been using nWiki for the last couple years instead of the default, built-in Moodle wiki. Could you remind everyone what the status of nWiki will be in Moodle 2.0? Will the default wiki in Moodle 2.0 be based on nWiki? Do we need to install this separately?

Thanks! smile

James
In reply to James Bossert

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Hi James,
in 2.0 ther will no be a version of NWiki. We are building a brand new wiki module from scratch taking features from OUWiki and NWiki, and includinga new wiki creole parser (in adition to NWiki parsers) and WYSIWYG.
This wiki migrates contents from nwiki, standard wiki and ouwiki. But is in a very early stage of development.
Ciao
Ludo

by James Bossert -
Awesome!!! Thanks so much Ludo!! Can't wait to see it! smile

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi!

Thanks for the update. I have briefly looked at your current version, here is some feedback MDL-20812 wink

petr

by Stuart Mealor -
Hi Ludo

i just tried installing this on an up-to-date CVS Moodle 2.0 install.

It appeared to install OK, but when I go to Admin>Plugins>Activity modules>Wiki to alter Setting I get the message:

"Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: The theme has already been set up for this page ready for output. Therefore, you can no longer change the theme, or anything that might affect what the current theme is, for example, the course."

The site is using the Standard Theme (I'm not sure this error is really Theme related anyway?)

Although I can add a Wiki to a Course (as a Teacher), if I then try to enter the activity I get the message:

"Error reading from database" sad

I was going to show a couple of people the new Wiki (albeit very early days) on Sunday this week.

Question: do you have a Moodle site somewhere I can get to a demo version that is up and running ?

Many thanks, Stuart.
In reply to Stuart Mealor

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Hi Stuart,
last weeks Moodle 2.0 code has been evolving and so the Wiki 2.0 code (even more).
The current code can be found here http://potato.lsi.upc.edu/projects/wiki20/browser
or using GIT , "git clone git@potato.lsi.upc.edu:wiki20 pa"
I will add to my todolist to heavy test the current version against todays Moodle 2.0 head release a new test version and of course to set up a demo site.
Thanks
Ludo