Please refrain from CVS commits for a while

Please refrain from CVS commits for a while

by John Papaioannou -
Number of replies: 9
Hi everyone,

I 'd like to ask you to refrain, if possible, from committing changes to the blocks/ directory and to anything else related to blocks for a few days. Currently I 'm working on rewriting the blocks to include many popular feature requests that Daryl Hawes implemented in his "blog" system. The changes being done are rather radical, so please minimize your commits since I have no choice but to merge them into the refactored code.

Thanks!

Jon

PS: I 'm only talking about HEAD, of course, not the 1.4 branch.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Papaioannou

Re: Please refrain from CVS commits for a while

by Jan Dierckx -
Jon,

Sorry, I didn't know about that. I'm new to this cvs-stuff, I tried to follow the directions on moodle.org but maybe I made a mistake.  Should the glossary_random block go in HEAD  or 1.4 ?
(And if it's in the wrong place can I delete it? Or even can you delete it?)

Jan,

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
This one should go into the "contrib" module for now, Jan. You will need to check this module out separate from the "moodle" module, and it doesn't have any branches.

by Tony Hursh -
Jon, I realize you're probably busy with this right now, but I was wondering what this means for existing third-party blocks (that aren't included in the distribution). Will those break, or will they just not have the new features until they're rewritten?

In reply to Tony Hursh

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Tony,

Jon will correct me if I'm wrong.... Jon is reviewing several changes Daryl Hawes has made to the block code - existing blocks might still work, although when it is released, you may want to improve some of the third party blocks to take advantage of some of the new features available in the block code!

-even if backward compatibility is broken - it shouldn't take much to upgrade old blocks - it should be an easy fix.

smile

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Tony Hursh -
Thanks! I'll be looking forward to seeing how the new features work.
In reply to Dan Marsden

by John Papaioannou -
Yes, indeed. Daryl's version keeps backward compatibility, but I 'm not sure if that's good for the future. Understandably Daryl went that way because otherwise it would be a major pain to install Blog on a Moodle site. We 'll have a secret voodoo midnight gathering with Martin and see what happens in the end; read my post below.
In reply to Tony Hursh

by John Papaioannou -
It's possible (though not decided at this time) that backward compatibility will break. However, even if that happens:

• It will be to achieve both greater simplicity and greater flexibility in the block code
  • It will not require more than a couple minutes editing from an experienced developer to fix a block to work once more

Hope that helps...

Jon

by Tony Hursh -
Sounds great! Is the version 1.17 moodleblock.class.php file in CVS representative of the new features, or are more changes still underway?

In reply to Tony Hursh

by John Papaioannou -
Not that I know of, I haven't checked anything in yet.