Can't get paid enrollment to work in any form

Can't get paid enrollment to work in any form

by David Jakob -
Number of replies: 5
Hi
I've spent the last three hours searching this site and seen many issues and checked what might apply to my set up but I'm stumped.

• I've set up three courses, each of which has a different charge.
  • I've set up paypal as the default and only enrollment method
  • I've enabled email registration
What happens is the following:

• I register as a new student
  • I receive an email to confirm by clicking a link
  • I log in to the site and I can choose any course and it just let's me in
No paypal, no charge, all courses immediately available - not plan A!

I want users only to be able to get in after payment and only to the course for which they have paid.

I must be missing some step, but can't figure out what.

Any ideas?

Oh yes - I am using Moodle 1.9.6. + Build 20091028

I'm grateful for any and all help
Regards
David

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Jakob

Re: Can't get paid enrollment to work in any form

by John Langlois -
I had a similar problem. Make sure you have done all of the of the following:

1). Assuming you have already set up the course, go to
Administration->Courses->Enrolments

ENABLE PayPal. Once Enabled EDIT PayPal and put a cost for the course in the appropriate field.

2). Under Administration->Courses->Add/Edit Courses drill down on the course name so that you can get to the underlying View. Under Administration Click on Settings

(Convoluted, is it not!)

There you will find a section called Availability and a COST box in that section.
Put the same cost amount there that you put in PayPal. Why the left hand can't talk to the right is a mystery to me.

3). Make sure the enrolment plugin is set to PayPal, up in the enrolments box.
I set my default to Student.

Save your settings.

Note that the challenge for payment doesn't occur until the student tries to enter the course.

Further, expect problems when trying to get the PayPal IPN to flag back that payment has been completed.

But, that's another days searching.

Good luck.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Langlois

by David Jakob -
Hi John
Thanks very much.
In fact I had done all of these steps with on exception - I had set a minimum price in paypal, which it claims will be overridden by any number put inside the course. As each course is differently priced, that is an important element in my site - however, I duly set the price the same and tested it and.....

......got straight into the course without any sight of paypal in between.

You've confirmed in considerable detail, that I had done the correct steps - thank you very much.

However, I am beginning to think this might be a bug that's crept in. sad

You're little aside about the IPN doesn't fill me with confidence either. I suspect I have to look at alternative solutions.

Again, thanks.
Regards
David
In reply to David Jakob

by Susan Kyzer -
Have you solved this problem?  If you didn't solve it, did you find an alternative solution? Susan
In reply to Susan Kyzer

by Andrew Lian -

It may be late in the piece - but I have had the same problem. HOWEVER...

when I try to DO anything, like access an exercice (I only have one) then the system tells me I have to be enrolled in the course. Unfortunately, it does not take me to the enrolment page, just to the main course page which contains an admin menu on the left where the Enrol Me in this course link is hidden. This has forced me (at least for the moment) to place some text at the beginning of my activity with a warning and a link to the paypal enrolment page.

Not very satisfactory - but seems to work. Now to see if the expiry warnings etc are given.

Andrew

In reply to Susan Kyzer

by John Daniel -

First of all, you guys rule. 

I have a hosted Moodle server on Siteground, and I also have an installation on localhost.  I can not enroll a student: always get stuck at the "

You are about to enrol yourself as a member of this course.
Are you sure you wish to do this?" page.  Is there a programming step somewhere for internal enrollment?