Aardvark 1.1 Pro - Released

Aardvark 1.1 Pro - Released

by Shaun Daubney -
Number of replies: 106

I made some modifications over the half term and am pleased to release v1.1

Pro 1.1 (Bearhug) - Released

• PIX Folder - Additional filetype icons added
  • aardvark_layout.css - Forum controls added to restrict posted images to fit on to page ".forumpost {width: auto;overflow:none;}" and ".forumpost img {max-width: 100%;}"
  • aardvark_layout.css - Removed "position" and "left" elements from ".cal_popup_bg ", ".surround" and ".header-profileblock" to fix calendar pop-ups.
  • aardvark_layout.css - Changed .surround to #surround
  • aardvark_color.css - Changed .surround to #surround
  • header.html - Changed <div class="surround"> to <div id="surround">
  • header.html - Correctly closed link in <link rel="stylesheet" href="<?php echo $CFG->httpsthemewww .'/'. current_theme() ?>/aardvark_print.css" type="text/css" media="print" />
  • aardvark_print.css - Added
  • various css - Changed header-profile classes (.) to IDs (#)
  • header.html - Changed header-profileblock class to ID
  • aardvark_default.css - Removed #header-home and placed contents in #logo
  • header.html - Made the header elements a little more PHP and removed redundant #header-home DIV. Now reads
    <?php print_container_start(true, '', 'header');
    echo '<div id="logo">';
    echo '<a href="'.$CFG->wwwroot.'" style="display: block; width: 247px; height: 96px;"> </a>';
    echo '</div>';
    echo '<div id="header-profileblock">';
    include('profileblock.php');
    echo '</div>';
    ?>
  • header.html - Validated markup! Woop!!!

Download = http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=26&rid=2618

Previous thread = http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=134994

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Shaun Daubney

Re: Aardvark 1.1 Pro - Released

by Jesús Martín -
Hi, Shaun.

I have moodle 1.9.6 installed. With your theme (1.0 and 1.1 versions) there are several error notices when you are log out:

Notice: Undefined property: object::$firstname in /var/www/sallenet/theme/aardvark_pro/profileblock.php on line 31

Notice: Undefined property: object::$lastname in /var/www/sallenet/theme/aardvark_pro/profileblock.php on line 31

and so on...

Do you have any suggestion?

Congratulations for your work!

Thanks
In reply to Jesús Martín

by Jon Williams -

love the theme and would really like to use it for our school, however I tried uploading it to my test site and wow it does not look anything like this.

I have the menu headings and subheadings in blue going down the left hand side of the page. you then need to scroll down to see the content of the site.

Have i just made a silly mistake (I used the standard theme first)

Thanks

J

In reply to Jon Williams

by Shaun Daubney -
Hiya, which browser are you using? It doesn't work with IE6, only IE7+, FF3+ and Safari4+ (that I've tested)

by Yogesh Mani -

Hi Shaun, the styles are not rendering properly in IE6. Just wondering if there is a fix for that.

Regards

Yogesh

In reply to Yogesh Mani

by Chris Delaney -
Yogesh,

As mentioned in the release notes, this theme is not compatible with IE6.

Do you self a favour and upgrade your version of IE or better still, consider switching to another browser altogether. A few have been mentioned in this discussion.

Cheers
In reply to Chris Delaney

by Yogesh Mani -

Hi Chris, thanks for the response. I was asking the question for the benefit of some students who still use IE 6 and for backward compatability.

Cheers

by stan gomer -
Hi Shawn, i loaded the theme but i dont know how to name the drop down menus or add items to them, i see no control for the menus, can you or someone please tell me how?

thanks

stanton
In reply to stan gomer

by Mark Nicholson -
how do you add the boxes on the left hand side and right hand side of the front page.

on the newbury college moodle page they have notices about swine flu, student cards...how do I add these to my front page? is this possible?
In reply to Mark Nicholson

by Chris Delaney -
Mark,

I'm pretty sure you need to be an admin on the Front Page (which is essentially a course in itself). Once you have admin rights, 'turn editing on' and then add a block.

If you choose a html block you can add whatever you want images etc.

Good luck.
In reply to stan gomer

by Chris Delaney -
Stan, In the aardvark_pro folder find the file topmenu.php - open this file with a wordpad or notepad editor, you'll soon work out what needs to go where.

Hope this helps.

by Chris Delaney -
Hi Shaun,

A couple of questions.

When I change max width or delete the line in layout.css everything moves ok except the profile block including avatar etc. It seems to stay put at the 960 width. Any thoughts?

Also, in the footer - how can I delete the english drop down language menu. Is it necessary if I have no intention of changing languages? Could find anything in the footer.html file....

Thanks

Chris

by Shaun Daubney -

I'm looking into the width issue, it's perplexing me too. At the moment the "position" elements in the header upset the elements on the caledar pop ups, bear with me.

As for the footer, just remove <div ><?php echo $menu ?></div>

by Jay Regan -

Hi, great work, any idea when the issue of the background not being displayed in Firefox will be fixed, I also add this problem with IE8 too..

I have attempted a fix myself but to no avail.

Cheers

In reply to Jay Regan

by Richard Clay -

Great work with the theme Shaun - many thanks!

After a couple of frustrating hours, I've come up with a simple work around for the Firefox background problem. Edit line 17 in the Aardvark theme "header.html" file to the following.

<body style=" background-color:#eeeeee;"<?php 

May not be an ideal fix but it seems to work. Fix also shown in attached screenshot. 

Attachment aardvark_bground_colour.jpg
In reply to Richard Clay

by Shaun Daubney -
Thanks for the comments. Good news is that background has been fixed in 1.2 sans hack. smile I don't know if I can fix the IE6 problem though, but I'm trying.

by Paulo Bagorro -

Hi

After include a topic section, in front page, the header change height.

How can i fix this?

thanks

Attachment muda.jpg
In reply to Paulo Bagorro

by Shaun Daubney -
Bizarre. There seems to be some really odd little anomalies with 1.1, it's stable but gets upset easily. Hopefully all the working I'm putting into 1.2 will address this.

by Steve Fister -
Awesome stuff...works great on every other browser but IE6, as is known. Any idea on how to fix this for IE6? Not using IE6 is not an option for us.... Thanks!
In reply to Steve Fister

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Which bits of this version need fixing for IE6...or is that a silly question?

There is something devilishly wrong with IE6 and not many programmers are bothering putting in hacks for that browser anymore.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Steve Fister -
Well, the most obvious issue is the navigation/drop down menus are *really* messed up. The other issues are relatively minor in comparison and could probably be more easily tweaked. I'm not very well versed in CSS compatibility....so it would be very difficult for me to attempt it.....
In reply to Steve Fister

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Any chance you could post a screenshot of the menu as you see it in IE6?

I found a FIX for IE6 HERE...might be worth a try.
(See IE6 Mystery Bug near the bottom of the page)

Also in an article by Sue Nicholls is a description of a menu problem with possible hack for IE6, you need to see the source code for the hack. Looks like lots of conditional statements.

There's a very fancy looking drop-down menu here which incorporates an IE hack, I have added it to a theme I am working on...works well in IE8 & FF can't test it on anything else yet as it's not gone live.

Its all good...

smile

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Steve Fister -
Mary,

Thanks for the pointers...I will take a look at them to see if there is a fix here. Here is a screenshot of how the template looks in IE6 (top) and IE8 (bottom):

Attachment moodle_ie6_bug.jpg
In reply to Steve Fister

by Mary Evans -
Steve,

Have you seen the menu on my website? There is a link to it HERE. If the menu there works for you in IE6 then I can send you the code for it.

Just a thought.

Mary

by Jari Ylitapio -
Hi Chris,

I had the same problem with the avatar in the wrong place after removing the "max-width: 960px;" from the file aardvark_layout.css.

I made a change in the profileblock.php file. I changed on line 3:
<td width="600" height="65" valign="bottom"><div class="header-profilename" id="header-profilename">

to:

<td width="1600" height="65" valign="bottom"><div class="header-profilename" id="header-profilename">

It's probably not the perfect sollution, but for me it seems to do the trick.

Regards Jari

by Liam Nicholson -

Hi.I Love This Theme And Its Top Menu.I have one issue the login section is not working (its going behind the page) and my users are having an issue with logging in on IE (NOT IE6) but i can log in fine on FF.

Screen Shot

ScreenShot

Thanks,

Liam

In reply to Liam Nicholson

by Liam Nicholson -

Sorry.Screenshot Not Working.

New Screenshot:

ScreenShot

Basically Whats Happening Is That The Login Section On The Top Is Going Behind The Calendar And Topic Section etc. This is the first time i have encountered this on IE7 because i use firefox perfectly.In school this works fine but on others computers it does not.

Thanks Again,

Liam

Ps.I have also put the image in attachments

Attachment screen.gif

by Shaun Daubney -
Thanks for the feedback, the alignment of theprofile block is due to a conflict between the calendar and the header "position" attributes. The good news is, my brother has given me a book on CSS so I have fixed this for 1.2, the bad news is, I've rewritten 1.2 from scratch so it may not be finished for a week or 2. Sorry

by Liam Nicholson -
Thanks

by Mary Evans -
I tried a workaround for this problem by making the profile element table-less.

By creating a new div id for the profileblock and cutting out a lot of the classes in the existing css, it works a treat.

Mary smile
In reply to Mary Evans

by yazie alfy -

Hi Mary,

Thank you so much for your reply..

When you mention to create a new Div, Do you mean to create it in the file called profileblock.php? I would like to confirm if I am in the correct place.

Thanks again

Yazie

In reply to yazie alfy

by Mary Evans -
Hi Yazie,

Correct! I stripped away all the table structure and deleted all the classes, keeping only the id selectors to keep the code clean and easy to manage.

I then created a new div with a new id selector which I called header-profile. This acted as a container for the three php elements in profileblock.php.

I then adjusted the CSS to dictate where I wanted the profile to sit on the header and how I wanted it to look.

Easy peasy!

smile

by yazie alfy -

Hi Shaun,

Firstly Thank you for your great theme and the hard work that you are doing to improve it.. I had install Aardvark 1.1 Pro using moodle 1.9.6 in firefox 3.5.3 and IE 8 browsers.

Basically the issue is the heading's background; when I open the grade report, The header-profileblock section changes the background color to transparent and it doesn't show the correct background color like the other pages. Please any idea how can I fix it?

Thanks

Yazie

Ps.I have also put the image in attachments

Attachment shaun_help.gif

Odgovor: Aardvark 1.1 Pro - Released

by Salim Šabić -
Hello, this theme looks perfect, and i installed it on one Moodle site and it runs perfectly, but i need the top menu to show Latin characters like Č,Ć,Ž,Đ etc.

So my question is how tho change the topmenu.php encoding to recognise other character sets instead of just Western Latin???
In reply to Salim Šabić

Re: Odgovor: Aardvark 1.1 Pro - Released

by R Winmill -
Hi there,

Can someone help me please I have 2 easy questions.

1. How do you remove the white border around the whole page?
2. How do I move my login box back to the right?

It was all fine then I updated moodle to the newest version and got these 2 problems. Is it something to do with id="surround"? if so where do I find the settings for that?

I have done quit a few mods to the header but like I say it was all fine until I updated.

Thanks

moodleimg.png
In reply to R Winmill

by Gerrard Shaw -

Just realised I posted this in the theme comment area rather than this thread but I've recoded an IE6-compatible menu (with a nice 3D effect on the submenus) into the theme smile

The menu supports 3rd level items as well but I didn't code those in, have a look on the blog for links to the original menu code.

http://gshaw0.spaces.live.com/

Files are in the SkyDrive area, remember to sign the guestbook if you download wink

screenshot.jpg

In reply to Gerrard Shaw

by Richard Clay -
Hi Gerrard

Great work with this mod. Just what the Aardvark theme needed. Still about 10% of users using IE6 even though it’s a bit of a naff old browser.

I'm having a play with your modified files at the minute and they seem to work well. The only problem I have noticed with the menu is that when using IE6, when you roll over a link in the drop down menu the menu flashes/disappears before returning (this happens on your site too. I will see if I can work out the problem but I’m no coding expert. The flashing problem doesn't happen on the http://www.grc.com site so there must be a solution.

Thanks again for your work - I’ll let you know if I work out the problem.

Richard

by John Wolff -
Shaun,

I love this theme. Thank you for your great work! It installed easily and works fine.

I now have a question, however, and hope someone can help. I've customized my top menus just fine, but I want the links in those menus to display content in the general site box below rather than navigating to whole new page. How do I do that?

Thanks for any help.

by Keith Ross -
I am trying to download this with Google Chrome but it seems todownload bit won't open?
In reply to Keith Ross

by Gerrard Shaw -
Hi Richard,

Yup the flashing was annoying me but as soon as I integrated the grc menu into Moodle it happened, even with the menu as standard so I'm guessing it's something else in Moodle \ theme that's doing it. Had to move onto to other things so it's good enough for now but if you get a fix it would be perfect smile
In reply to Keith Ross

by Keith Ross -
I have uses IE and it downloads ok. Thanks
In reply to Keith Ross

by Gerrard Shaw -
For those using my IE6 fix I've made a small tweak to fix a little bug where the top menu hover area went into the breadcrumb trail links, meaning you could end up in the main menu when trying to hit a trail link.

Will update the package on the blog site in a mo, in the meantime here's the fixed file...

For those interested it's just the commented out height line in .menu ul lu a:visited

/*======================== TOP LEVEL MENU DEFINITIONS ========================*/

.menu ul li ul {
display:none; /* initially hide the entire list hierarchy */
padding:0px; /* this is our box border width */

}

.menu ul li a,
.menu ul li a:visited { /* unselected top-level menu items */
display:block;
float:left;
text-decoration:none;
width:auto;
color: #ffffff;
padding: 14px 17px 0 17px;
background:url('top_menu.gif') repeat-x;
/*height:43px;*/
}

by Dan Trockman -
I really like this version and would like to use it.

One change that would make it much more usable is if the text of a Label was gray when hidden from students. In large course pages with a lot of hidden labels it is quite hard to see what is hidden if it does not go gray when hidden.

by Elizabeth Senger -

Shaun,

Great theme - thanks for all the hard work!  I just had one question - where in the CSS can I modify the size of the content box for a lesson.  It appears to be a fixed height and width, and I'd like to change that so it is the same width as the header and to change the height so it adjusts to the content.  I've gone through all the CSS (both yours and Moodle) and cannot find this.

Thanks!

In reply to Elizabeth Senger

by Adrian Black -
Hi,

I'd love to try it - but when I copy it into my theme directory and try and install I see

aardvark_pro (Moodle 1.4) (In red)

(my moodle is 1.9.6.1)

The preview is blank

Am I doing something wrong ?
(I copied it and changed all permissions to 755)

Adrian
In reply to Adrian Black

by Liam Nicholson -
I had the same problem but when I used my hosting providers file manager instead of FTP it worked ! I uploaded the Compressed File And Extracted It In The File Manager

Hope This Helps

by Adrian Black -
That worked a treat - thanks - playing with it (the theme) now.

(Curious tho' - I run a Linux PC so it was effectively the same unpack on my pc as on the server)
In reply to Adrian Black

by Liam Nicholson -

Yeah.I Don't Know Why.

Surely Its The Same Unpack. Must be something it dosen't like when extracted normally.

Glad I Could Help

by Fernando Durán -

Some of the file extensions in tne pack are not accepted by the ftp transfer.

I had to upload the complite ziipped file and use my hosting's file manager to unzip. It worked ok.

In reply to Fernando Durán

by Shaun Daubney -
Just spotted this, it's because I built the theme  half on my mac and half at work on a PC so there were some confused little files left over. Cleaned it up and fixed it now.

by Elizabeth Senger -
Never mind...my bad.  These settings are actually in the GUI - imagine that!

by Fernando Durán -

I like the new release.

The only thing is that the upper part (loging and user name) is nor gtransparent.

In reply to Fernando Durán

by Shaun Daubney -

Just replace background-color: #ffffff; with background-color: transparent; under:

• .profilename, .profilename a
  • .profilename, .profilename a:hover
  • #profileoptions ul li

by Liam Nicholson -
Shaun,
When I Change The Values It Makes My Whole Background White
Also How Do I Edit The Links For The Top Menu Items? (Not The Ones In The Drop Down Menu)

Sorry, Really Posted This In Wrong Area. This Is For 1.2

by Shaun Daubney -
All of the menu stuff is in the aardvarkmenu.php file, you'll see "menu one" then the sublinks below it, then menu two, etc...

As for the profile options all going white, not sure, email me your CSS file

by Liam Nicholson -
I Mean The Actual Top Link The One That You Scroll Over To Get The Drop Down Menu

I Keep Getting www.url.com/course/id url.com again.

As For The Profile Block When I Alter To Transparent The Whole Blue Background Goes. I'll Email It Across To You Shortly.
Attachment adress.gif

by yazie alfy -

Hi,

I had an issue with the drop down navigation. When I add a flash movie into a course to open in the same window, the flash movie covers the menu entirely when they expand. I had check in the topmenu.css in #top_menu ul li div has the value z-index: 9999;

Anyone knows how to fix this problem?

Cheers,

Yazie

Attachment help_menu.jpg
In reply to yazie alfy

by Shaun Daubney -

The issue is with the flash opject. You need to set the wmode param as "transparent".

Shaun

by yazie alfy -

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for the response and great theme!!

I am sorry; I am quite new with moodle and flash... where can I set up the wmode param?

Yazie

In reply to yazie alfy

by Chad Parmentier -
if you are adding youtube or some other kind of flash element you need to do two things.
  1. add this )or similar div to the html embed page. <div id="monoSlideshow" style="float:left; padding: -5px; overflow: hidden; z-index:0;">
  2. the wmode id defined in the script call which i am guessing you will need to link to, here is an example of the code: <script type="text/javascript">

var so = new SWFObject("monoslideshow.swf", "SOmonoSlideshow", "750", "240", "9", "#ffffff");

so.addVariable("showLogo", "false");

so.addParam("wmode", "transparent");

so.write("monoSlideshow");

</script>
Hope this helps, i am assuming you added an embed to a webpage resource in moodle.

Attachment Untitled-1.png
In reply to Chad Parmentier

by yazie alfy -

Thanks Chad, smile

Yes I am trying to embed a flash movie in the label resource which has WYSWYG with HTML editor.

Hope I don’t sound too ignorant but the code that define the wmode where I need to put it?..  Is there any specific html page in moodle?

Thanks again

In reply to yazie alfy

by Mary Evans -
Hi Chad,

First you need to be in HTML mode. To do this CLICK on the <> top right of the Editor Menu
You won't see any change as such but there may be a bit of code in the text area...something like <br>. If there is delete it.

You then need to add your code which should be something like this...

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://yourwebsitnamegoeshere/yourflashobjectnamegoeshere.swf" width="600" height="100">
<param name="movie" value=" http://yourwebsitnamegoeshere/yourflashobjectnamegoeshere.swf " />
<param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />
</object>

This is all you need do to. Just click save and display.

I hope this works for you. Let me know how you get on.

Regards

Mary

In reply to yazie alfy

by Mary Evans -
My apologies, Yazie, for calling you Chad in my last reply! Also I am not sure if what I wrote in my last reply will overcome the problem associated with your query.

You could try my suggestion, and add <param name="wmode" value="transparent"> in place of the param name I added in the object code I posted above.

Further to my previous post. The text/html editor I am referring to is the same one in the Label you referred to in your post.

Hope this helps.

Let me know how you get on.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by yazie alfy -

Hi Mary,

Thank you so much, you are star!!

It works perfectly; the drop down menu is showing on top of the animation now when they expand.

This is the final code:

<object data="http://yourwebsitnamegoeshere/yourflashobjectnamegoeshere.swf" width="600" height="600" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="movie" value="http://yourwebsitnamegoeshere/yourflashobjectnamegoeshere.swf"" /><param name="WMode" value="transparent" /><param name="AllowFullScreen" value="false" />
</object>

smile

Yazie

In reply to Mary Evans

by Chris Delaney -
Hi Mary, any idea how I can add a YouTube video to a news forum on the front page?

I copy the embed code and it doesn't show for some reason?

by Mary Evans -
You have to allow objects and embedded code in public forums if you want to allow items like You Tube videos, via Site Administration > Security. This option is OFF by default. You need to check the box to allow it.

The following code works in my news forum on the front page of my demo moodle site. There's a link to it in my profile if you want to take a look...

<object height="364" width="445" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data=""> <param name="movie" value="" /> <param value="true" name="allowFullScreen" /> <param value="always" name="allowscriptaccess" />
</object>
In reply to yazie alfy

by Chad Parmentier -
I defined it in the script element in the html page. I will paste the code below and you should see how I added the so.addParm("wmode", "transparent");
if this doesn't help provide more info like or zip the files and post them so I can see exactly what you have going on.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<?php echo $meta ?>
<meta name="keywords" content="medical revision, medical finals, medical learning, social networking, <?php echo $title ?> " />
<title><?php echo $title ?></title>
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="<?php echo $CFG->themewww .'/'. current_theme() ?>/favicon.ico" />
<link rel="stylesheet" href="<?php echo $CFG->httpsthemewww .'/'. current_theme() ?>/aardvark_print.css" type="text/css" media="print" />
<LINK REL="StyleSheet" HREF="http://moodle.brandon.k12.mi.us/theme/BHS_theme/aardvark_topmenu.css" TYPE="text/css" MEDIA=screen>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" />
<title>Monoslideshow 1.3 Example page</title>
<script type="text/javascript" src="swfobject.js"></script>
</head>
<body>
<div id="monoSlideshow" style="float:left;z-index:0;">
<p><strong>Please install Flash&reg; and turn on Javascript.</strong></p>
</div>
<script type="text/javascript">
// <![CDATA[

var so = new SWFObject("monoslideshow.swf", "SOmonoSlideshow", "100%", "260", "9", "#ffffff");

so.addVariable("showLogo", "false");

so.addParam("wmode", "transparent");

so.write("monoSlideshow");

// ]]>

</script>

</body>
</html>

by Chad Parmentier -
I made som modifications so links could be added to the theme that are only seen by admin's. I thought this would be nice to add links to phpMyadmin, and the Webmin panel. bellow is what i did and I have attached a modified proflieblock.php.

-- And if anyone else wants to place links in a theme for admins only here is what i did:

<?PHP

if (has_capability('moodle/site:config', get_context_instance(CONTEXT_SYSTEM))){

print '<br /><li><a href="'.$CFG->wwwroot.'/myphpadmin">My Admin</a></li>';
print '<li><a href="https://mysite:10000">WebMin</a></li>';

}
?>

I placed the in the profileblock.php file from the MemMed theme and this works great. If user is not logged in is shows login box in header, if a student is logged in it add links by their profile pic for updating profile, logging out, and My Courses. If admin is logged in the code above adds links for phpMyAdmin and webmin. I will attach the profileblack.php with the code change. you can edit the file to include any links you would like.

by Abhayjeet Singh -
Hi Guys!

Im doing a university placement year and making a moodle website for the school as a project - and hopefully making them move from this LP+ thing. I really like the beautiful aardvark theme - i've installed it and all, but the top header (like menu and login areas appear distorted) - it appears as if it was listed.

Any ideas what could be wrong? I'm using firefox 3.5.7 and the lastest stable version of moodle.

Thanks a lot.

Abs

In reply to Abhayjeet Singh

by Mary Evans -
Hi Abhayjeet,

I have Aardvark Pro 1.1 as one of my themes and it worked OK for me in Firefox. It may be the version you have as this has been updated and has now progressed to Aardvark Pro 2 check out this link http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=141577

Aardvark Pro 2 is pretty stable now so you might like to try it out. The menu is very much better than the old version.

regards

Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

by Abhayjeet Singh -
Hi Mary!

Thanks for the prompt reply. I've tried all the versions of the aardvark theme but none seems to be displaying properly...

Here's what it looks like...

http://yfrog.com/el91568985p

Thanks,
Abhayjeet
In reply to Abhayjeet Singh

by Mary Evans -
Hi Abhayjeet,

Have you altered anything in the header.html file or the menu.php, because it looks like you may well be a </ul> or </li> or </div> missing. I'm just guessing here, but if you have made any alterations to the original files you mush check to see each section has it's own particuar opening and closing tag.

Let me know how you get on.

Mary

CSS overides html editor

by Chad Parmentier -
When using the html editor to compose a label or summary, the font color and heading size revert back to the theme css. Is there away to fix this?

Re: CSS overides html editor

by Mary Evans -
Hi Chad,

Have you tried to style the new activity using CSS 'module id' and 'activity class' selectors? That's a good way to make sure they appear as you want them to.

Mary

by Elizabeth Senger -

Just came across the strangest problem with the menus not displaying inline.  The menus work fine in Firefox.  In IE 7 and 8, the menus work fine on the home pages and course pages.

But when you click on any administrator page (view accounts, authentication, etc.) in IE7 and IE8 it suddenly ignores the fixed width and drops the menus down.  Since it doesn't do it in Firefox, Firebug hasn't been much help.

It does this on the 1.1 version of Aardvark.  Version 1.2 is completely knocked out on all pages so I'm not even trying that. 

The major difference is that we are running the 2/10 download of Moodle.  I took the exact same theme (based on Aardvark 1.1) I have running on another 1.9.7 site (build 11/26) with no problem, and it does the same thing on the new site.  Obviously, something changed in the latest release.

If anyone has any ideas on what might be different about the admin functions that is making the menu go haywire, I'd really appreciate it.

by Mary Evans -
Hi Elizabeth,

There are a few problems with the aardvark_menu.php in both versions of this theme, since they use the same menu structure.

There are some missing closing </li> tags at the end of all the sub-menus. Plus the closing </ul> tag of the main menu itself. If you have been reading the forums on this theme, and the other variants of this theme, then I am sure you will have read about our finding with regards the menu.

I would hazard a guess and say it is the missing tags which is causing the problem, but then again I could be wrong. I've updated my versions of the menu myself and so I'm not able to reproduce the problem you have, but I will upload the old menu php and try it and let you know how I get on.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Elizabeth Senger -

Mary,

Thanks as always for your great suggestions...unfortunately, I've already tried that, run through every error in Firebug, etc.  It looks like there is some stray character right at the beginning of the admin pages that gets introduced through someplace in the core code.  I haven't tracked it down yet.  It causes problems with other themes also.  In custom corners and some of the other built-in themes the font size gets out of whack on the admin pages as well.  The only theme that doesn't visibly change is the standard since it's so simple.  I'm debating whether to try a new weekly build to see if that resolves it or to keep trying to track it down.

Elizabeth

by Victor Santos -
Hi there!

Is it possible to change the menu so it can have more than one level?

Menu1
Sub-menu1
- item1
- item 2

Sub-menu2
- item1
- item 2

Example:

img
In reply to Victor Santos

by Mary Evans -
Hi Victor,

You might like to take a look at Patrick Mallory's Base Menu - YUI which you can learn all about HERE

It incorporates three or four levels of menu items and uses js scripts which are in the Moodle lib files.

I managed to incorporate this menu into the Aardvark 1.2 theme, and had it link to from the forum earlier this year, but sadly I lost the files due to a Moodle upgrade which went terribly wrong.

It was pretty easy to do...all I did was copy the YUI menu css of Patrick's theme and substitute menu.php for the aardvark_menu.php. Witha bit of tweeking it worked quite well.

Richard Oelmann also has played around with the YUI menu and has some interesting projects going on in his Sandbox website HERE which you might find of interest.

Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks for the kind comment Mary smile
Have been away from the website for a few weeks - other projects going on in school - but planning to come back to it later this week to look at a few things.
If I can be of any help, Victor, then just let me know - my email address can be found on the page Mary linked to in her message. Basically what I did was to take Patrick's yui base menu and incorporate it into Aardvark 1.2 - the details (and issues I worked through) are on the 'Theming my Sandbox' page of the website as is a zipped folder of the files I used.

Richard
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Victor Santos -
Thanks all for the the quick reply!
I'll see what I can do with the information you gave. If I can't manage it, I'll ask again.

Take care,

Victor

by Andre Brassard -
Hi:
I'm in the middle of creating sort of what you're referring to.

(more than one sub-menu, under the main menu tool bar)

Andre B.

In reply to Andre Brassard

by Dan Jeffries -
HI everyone!

Am working with the Modified 1.1 Aardvark and it's great as it's made some key modifications and means we don't have to upgrade to a brand new version.

However, I want to add a background image to the page border. I've done this in the origiginal 1.1 theme and it works fine but I just can't seem to do it in the Modified MemMed version.

I have changed the background code to:

body {
background: url('images/bg.gif') repeat scroll;
}

in the color.css file. Like I say, works fine in the original 1.1 theme but not in the modified version.

Any ideas?
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Mary Evans -
The default CSS file for Modified MemMed is style_default.css. If you look in your theme's config.php you will see layout_color.css is second one in the list as the stylesheets for this theme, with styles_default.css being the last and so will override any changes made by the other css files.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Dan Jeffries -
Thanks Mary.

I'm a little confused though - does that mean I can or can't change it? And if I can, what file do I need to modify?

Ta for yer help! smile

dan
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Mary Evans -
What I meant to say, but didn't, was to add the body css to styles_default.css and see if that has any impact on the problem.

Also while you are at it...do check you have the image in the correct image folder on the server, and that the name is the same as in the css.

Hope this helps.

Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

by Dan Jeffries -
Hi Mary

OK, I've gone to aardvark_default.css (I assume that's the right one, there is no styles_layout.css)) and have pasted the body code in:

/* Core */

body {
background: url('pix/bg.gif') repeat scroll;
}

I've stuck it right at the top. Alas, it does nothing.

The image is definitely in the right place, and I've tested a link direct to it.

Any other ideas?
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Mary Evans -
Ok is the image in the pix folder or the images folder? In your first post you say images in your last post pix...perhaps you are just making the same mistake in your css file.

I've just downloaded MemMed_Main_Theme which I believe is supposed to be a modified Aardvark 1.1 theme.

Sorry for my original mistake re styles_default etc it's just that I'm working with standard theme at the minute and got confused...as one can at this time of day.

OK...I've downloaded and run this new theme on my PC (XP/WAMPServer/Moodle1.9.9)
and adding a bg.gif to the images folder and putting the same css mark-up in aardvark_color.css

body {
background: url(images/bg.gif) repeat scroll;
color:#555555;
}

and this is a snapshot of the background border I get...

memmed_aard11.jpg
So I'm not sure what it is you are doing wrong.

The bg.gif I used was a copy of the menu background image which I placed in the images folder and re-named bg.gif...

I just don't have a clue what you have done wrong...unless...you did this...

body {
background:url(images/bg.gif) repeat scroll;
background:#eeeeee;
color:#555555;
}
in which case the background color would take precedence over the image

or this...

body {
body { background:url(images/bg.gif) repeat scroll; }
}

Putting the body css inside the body tag!

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Dan Jeffries -
Hi Mary

Yup, tried all these. However when I use this code...

body {
background: url(images/bg.gif) repeat scroll;

...I didn't put any color:#555555 code in. Why is that needed? I used the same code on the original 1.1 version and it works fine.

Really stumped now. I know I'm not doing anything stupidly wrong, and like I said it works in 1.1, just not this Modified version.

*sobs*

dan
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Mary Evans -

It might be something else which is over-riding the body code, like the #surround page which wraps the main #page and could be covering the body of the browser window completely, in which case you wont see any changes. Also...I am assuming you ARE refreshing the screen after each of these changes? Ctrl+F5 forces a complete refresh of the browser.

OK...to test the body background color try this...

In the color.css file you are using, replace your body tag with this...

body { background-color: red;}

if you see a red border all the way round the out side of your page then it's working, so you can now try adding these two extra lines...see below...

background-image: url(images/bg.gif);
background-repeat: repeat;

so the body tag should look like this...

body { background-color: red;
background-image: url(images/bg.gif);
background-repeat: repeat;}

If this works your in business...if not...

bangcomp.gif

(by the way wherever your bg.gif is (images or pix folder) make sure that location matches your CSS where highlighted above. And I hope your image is called bg.gif and not bg.GIF as this too can have an effect on whether it displays or not).

Also...a trick I use often...upload your css files to the W3C CSS Validator to be checked for errors. It's surprising what you can find. Also it's good practice and worth the time and trouble.

If you do validate your css files and come across a Parse Error this indicates there is a problem in the previous block of code and not the line indicated in the error report you are given if there is a problem with the css. If everything is OK you are given a green page telling your Congratulations your CSS is W3C Standards Compliant...which will make you feel better if nothing else.

Hope this all helps in some small way.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Dan Jeffries -
Hi Mary

Sorry to say, it still aint working!

This is the code I've used:

/* Core */

body { background-color: red;
}

#surround {
background: #eaeaea;
border-top: 10px solid #ffffff;
border-right: 10px solid #ffffff;
border-bottom: 10px solid #ffffff;
border-left: 10px solid #ffffff;
}

and i've also included the surround code, just in case there's something troublesome there.

Big thanks smile
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Mary Evans -
ok...

try making the surround border 0px which will turn off that rather wide border, which might be causing the problem
In reply to Mary Evans

by Dan Jeffries -
Nope, makes no difference. And I've tried using the image and the red border.

This is doing my head in now. *sobs*
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Mary Evans -

Can you make a zip file up and send it to my website email maryevans at moodlestudio.co.uk ?  Then I can go over it with a fine toothcomb and see what's making this simple change so difficult.

Or failing that is there a live site I could view?

One thing which I failed to ask is what server system type is this Moodle install on. Could it be your using a proxy server, so the changes cannot be seen so are not in real time, insted you only see cached version of the page?

In reply to Mary Evans

by Dan Jeffries -
The live site is www.atm-online.co.uk/moodle1011

Server shouldn't be an issue - I've updated our other site without any probs and have been working on this site for days.

Let me know if you need any more info smile
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Mary Evans -
I've just searched and found your site. I also think I've found out why you are having problems. I'll get back to you when I've done some more tests.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Dan Jeffries -
Thanks Mary - interested to see what you can come up with!

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mary Evans -
Thanks for your patience Dan.

Well here's the good news...I found out what the problem is.

And the bad news? Well I really don't know where to start.

Whilst the Aardvark theme has gone from strength to strength and has become very popular with Moodlers because it is appealing in that it marries up nicely with Windows based operating systems. Especially Aardvark Aquarium and Windows 7. And in each version errors in its coding have been ironed out, or I had thought so, until the other day.

This version of Aardvark 1.1 Pro( MemMed) has sadly some very old errors in it's coding, and now I am seeing the same errors creeping back into Aardvark-Pro1.5 (Aquarium).

The way the header and footer are written in MemMed, I wonder how it actually worked. But then Moodle has Standard theme as it's back up, and with FireFox and all the other, new breed of intelligent browsers, the flaws are masked and missing bits are added. But use IE8 and all your problems show up for what they are...bad coding. There is no other way to describe it.

I'm learning bit by bit, that you have to follow the code of good practice and even I take short cuts through the Moodle maze of PHP code, but in the end get pulled up and have to re-think/re-write some code to make the page work.

The main problem in your case is that the header and the footer don't match up.

For some reason the footer has a html DOC TYPE which it shouldn't have. It has the #content closing div missing and also the #page ending div too. So the div#page ends at immediately after the menu in the header.html file and the problem cascades down the page.

Like I said a lot of the code is masked, but put the theme through it's paces in IE8 and it breaks.

In looking at your theme, and also another similar theme that someone has emailed me, I have found the cause of strange behaviour with the menu which has been hanging about for ages.

Try resetting a theme using the theme selector when logged in as Admin, in IE8 and you will find the menu collapses. This is due to the badly coded pictureblock (or whatever it's called) which adds the user avatar into the header. Add to this the fact that the menu is missing vital components for it to function correctly, and yet you don't notice anything wrong in Firefox. Amazing!

So if you want to put all this right, I would first advise you to make a copy of standard theme, and rename it to a theme name of your choice. Then replace it's css with the MemMed aardvark css files and image/pix folders too, and then slowly rebuild the header.html and footer.html adding elements from the main theme's header & footer which you are happy with. I am assuming you know some php enough, or at least enough to read it and understand the logic behind it, and can spot inconsistency in its syntax?

You can safely use the same CSS and images as they are not affected.

The thing is with Moodle, you shouldn't need to tinker too much with the layout of the header.html and footer.html, you should be able to achieve all you want with CSS alone.

And all this because you wanted a background image.

I suppose if you went over the header.html and footer.html and put right the missing elements, you could achieve that quite easily.

Hope all or part of this make some sense?

Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

by Dan Jeffries -
Blimey! I didn't realised I had unearthed such a massive can of worms!

Firstly, huge thanks for working at this. Massively appreciated.

TBH, I have no PHP knowledge whatsoever, and kind of muddle through theming with some intelligent guesswork.

If this theme is proving to be very messy (I am a Mac user so never even consider checking with IE8!) then I will probably return back to the original 1.1, especially if I can get the background I want. It sounds stupid, but I prefer some of the font styles (such as the way the menu highlights when hovered over) and I guess it would be easier to change that code than rewrite headers and footers! (Not that I know where that code is mind...)

It's helped me rethink what I need to do tho, so many thanks once again smile

dan x

In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Mary Evans -
It's actually not that difficult to customise a theme from scratch. I learnt more about CSS from doing just that. In fact I learnt most of what I know about Moodle from this very forum, and that's why I like to pass on what I have learnt.

Well whatever you decide to do, if you want some help or get stuck post another message on the boards, and I try to help if I can.

Regards

Mary