moodle quiz template (updated)

moodle quiz template (updated)

by Luckas luckas -
Number of replies: 35
I've used the word quiz template and I've missed one functionality so I've added it.
I have updated the word template with the option to add Essay questions (open questions) and minor changes.
It's in English and Catalan language.
I hope you find it useful.

See you!
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Luckas luckas

Re: moodle quiz template (updated)

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Awesome - thanks! What other "minor changes" have you made?
Thanks so much!
In reply to Deb Burdick-Hinton

by Luckas luckas -
Interface changes: new icons for example and maybe some very small thing (I don't remember).
If I have time I'll try to add more type of quizes questions and more functionalities (category of the question,...).
In reply to Deb Burdick-Hinton

by Daniela Elford -

Wow, I've just discovered this awesome template, but having a few probs. Any chance that the numerical questions have been fixed? They don't import. And is there any way give an answer a partial grade?

Plus my feedback doesn't import sad

by Marc Dastous -

Before anyone else adds to this template (not that I am unappreciative), but it would be nice if someone who understands the coding to correct the d.loadXML textrange.XML error that occurs in Word 2010. There are no less than 15 requests in various forum posts that have gone unanswered over the last 2 years.

Does ANYONE havea solution to this problem?

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers

Daniel, Leal and Luckas

I've blogged on your excellent quiz making Word Template version 21 here. Hope more users get to use their tool in their institutions.

Thank you very much for this piece of, no, masterpiece of software.
Frankie Kam
Malaysia

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Normand Charette -

Thank you Frankie for your post and blog. Also, thank you to everyone who have made a push for making Moodle better through your tools. I found moodle_quiz_v2_1 very useful. I have been scratching my head trying to get moodle_quiz_v09 to work with Office 2010. I am currently using Windows 7 x64 with Office 2010 x86/32 bit.

I found adding a new location within Trusted Locations of Microsoft Word made the quiz making process a little easier. I hope that doesn't pose too big of a security issue for my PC.

1. File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Trusted Locations > Add new location
  2. Browse to the folder location where you extracted or moved the folder moodle_quiz_v2_1
  3. Select the folder and click OK
  4. Check the box "Subfolders of this location are also trusted
  5. Click OK > OK > OK

**Word 2010 and Template for creating quiz questions - Moodle XML files for importing/import into Moodle Course - Question bank questions**

It seems that CopyPasteEditThisoneforWord2010.docx or the Example.docx (from Frank) is to be used as an initial template file to get started then choose File > Save as to save a separate file with a more meaningful name (for later use or archival). It also seems that this new .docx file you create should be saved into the moodle_quiz_v2_1 folder.  Once you save the separate file you can export the quiz into Moodle XML format.
I tell you... it is sweet! to be able to import Moodle XML files into Moodle.

Norm
Seattle, WA USA 

In reply to Normand Charette

by Paula Clough -

I have been really playing with this 2.1 version of the Word Quiz Template and really like it. I have made some videos for our instructors and want to share what I have learned about using this template.  This is Word 2010 on a PC in the videos. The Moodle is 2.3.  I did create and example2 file for these videos that acts as a template. It is the example file that came with the zipped folder with the questions taken out.

Enable Macros Quiz Template v2.1 for Importing Moodle Questions

Word Quiz Template v2.1 for Moodle Quiz Question Import

Import XML From Word Quiz Template v2.1 Into Moodle

Preparing & Adding Pictures for Word Template-Moodle Import

Tips for Bringing Pre Exisitng Quetions to Word Quiz Template v 2.1

I did have problems with the pictures at one time, but I re-extracted the zip file and used the example file out of it and it worked fine after that.

Some of the forums on the older verison of this template mention that the Mac version of Word cannot make the xml file.  Does anyone know if that has changed any?

These are automatically embedding with just the link copied in.  That's interesting.

Paula cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Chris Chapman -

does this work with Word 2013 - just wondereding as College has just gone full windows 7 with Office 13 :/

In reply to Chris Chapman

by Paula Clough -

Sorry, Chris, I just saw this. I don't have access to Office 2013, perhaps someone else out there knows.

Paula cool

In reply to Chris Chapman

by Cris Fuhrman -

Hi Chris,

I'm late to the party, too. I can tell you that the macros do not work in Office 2013 because of changes to the XML libraries. The Toolbar also won't appear, or if it does, the buttons don't work because the macros behind them have not been enabled (perhaps due to security settings).

However, I was able to make some changes for the code to work minimally. But there are a lot of problems with the Toolbar I wasn't able to fix. I don't understand yet how this works in Word 2013 (under Windows 8.1).

I created a repository on Google Code to share the VBA module called XML.bas (export of the macros from the file). The inital code has the MIT license, so I think it should be OK to do this. For now, I uploaded only the XML_2010.bas file that supports question feedback. I will see how much time I can dedicate to fixing the 2013 file.

Anyone who's interested in collaborating can join the project. I'm hoping this will continue with more collaboration focused in the Google Code repository.

Cheers,

Cris Fuhrman

In reply to Cris Fuhrman

by Frankie Kam -

And it gets more interesting! Emily Twitchett has released a "cleaner" version of the tool publicly (support for Office 2010/2013). Try it at https://code.google.com/p/word-moodle-quiz/ See here: view Emily Twitchett's post » "where we're going, we won't need roads".
In reply to Frankie Kam

by Cris Fuhrman -

Hi Frankie, I think you confused my comment to her original question Google+... The publicly cleaner version is the same one I mentioned here, but there's no such thing as bad press smile

In reply to Cris Fuhrman

by Frankie Kam -

It a recursive publicity stunt! Oh alright, yes, I was confused. 

In reply to Cris Fuhrman

by Lael ... -

Hey Guys!

How is the update of the template going? I think we are moving to Office 2013 soon and was wondering if anyone had fixed the template so that it works?

Thanks!

Lael

In reply to Cris Fuhrman

by Jurgis Pralgauskis -
In reply to Jurgis Pralgauskis

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. I presume you mean to add Emily's cleaner version to the docs? I will happily save you the time and do that tomorrow. The way docs work is this: every Moodle version has its own documentation. and unless it is vitally essential we only update the documentation of the current and previous version - so at the moment, that would be Moodle 2.6 and Moodle 2.5. (Next week we'll be updating Moodle 2.7 and Moodle 2.6) Everyone is free to add to the docs and of course to add to earlier versions if they wish.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Cris Fuhrman -

Hi there - I just updated the import page in 2.6 and 2.5. I noticed that logins don't persist across those URLs, even if I check "remember me" (I had to login once each time, for each documentation tree). I'm guessing they are separate sites (with separate sessions) even though the URLs look like they're not. My docs.moodle.org password is something really twisted, so I count on my browser to remember it. But Chrome forgot everything after I logged in twice, even though it said it was remembering the password. 

In reply to Paula Clough

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Paula

Really nicely produced videos! Very informative and precise. Keep up the good work!

Frankie

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Paula Clough -

Thank you so much, Frankie.

I have been happy that they have been of help to some folks out there.

cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Georgie OLeary -

I am a relatively inexperienced site administrator for a small college which has recently upgraded our Moodle site from v1.9 to v2.5. The vast majority of our faculty need a very user friendly method of creating quizzes. We are using Word 2010. I am attempting to duplicate results using the v2.1 Word to Moodle template, and have experienced many of the issues/errors documented in the blog. I found your videos explaining how to integrate the downloaded template and its macros into Word on my computer.

Your video, "Enable Macros Quiz Template v2.1 for Importing Moodle Questions", shows the folder that is available once the zip folder is extracted. The file list includes a file "example2" which you use in your explanation. I have searched every forum post I can find but have not been able to find a link ANYWHERE that links to a zip file that contains that file; they only have the "example" file. Can you please give me a heads-up as to where I can download that updated zip file?

Thank you so much for any help you can offer me.

Georgie O'Leary    olearygl@webber.edu

In reply to Paula Clough

by Declan Maher -

Any advice on the following would be very welcome:

Essay questions can accept Feedback on template page and this  is accepted as OK when  checking layout prior to XML export- however, unlike multiple choice or short answer questions, the essay  feedback is not imported into Moodle - is this rectifiable?

Thank you for reading this.

回复: moodle quiz template (updated)

by zj jys -

I can't change "*.doc" to "*.xml"  in  Office 2010 ,could you help me ?  there is a mistake "d.loadXML textrange.XML" in VB 

In reply to zj jys

Re: 回复: moodle quiz template (updated)

by Cris Fuhrman -

Can you try the VSTO document-level customization (Word document in Office 2010) tool that's based on the moodle quiz template? It's installation is handled by Microsoft and it's even working in Office 2013. Much of the videos apply to it, although there are some big differences. We've added support for answer feedback, for example.

I applied for internal funding to pay a student to extend this tool, so I'm open to hear from folks here about what kinds of features are most important. The VSTO option is more robust to changes in Office, but unfortunately requires knowledge of .NET programming and use of Visual Studio. Being an IT professor, I have no trouble finding people with those talents.

In reply to Cris Fuhrman

by Jurgis Pralgauskis -

I tried it on MSO 2010...

not sure if the setup.exe completed successfully, but stuff worked...

Except short answers showed no answers (I pressed enter and then back space while writing the correct response -- maybe that was the rpoblem.)

But missing word was ok.

And also it didn't show pic I tried (from clipboard with snipping tool).

and later on it even didn't save export the file - or I couldn't find it :/ But didn't throw any error...

EDIT: attached my edited file

In reply to Cris Fuhrman

by Lael ... -

Hi Chris,

We've gotten the tool working at our school. However, I'm finding that when creating multiple choice questions the default next option after hitting enter is per answer feedback (good), and then when hitting enter it doesn't add another incorrect answer option like it used to. And it is tedious to find the list of all the styles and then select the right one. Is it possible to make it add another answer option by default?

Thanks!

by Teddi B -

My supervisor has asked me to make this work with Office 2013. I decided to see if we were just missing something before trying things I know very little about yet at the current moment, and I'm noticing that this conversation seems to have gone from discussing moodle_quiz_v21 to talking about something from this location: https://code.google.com/p/word-moodle-quiz/.

Is this a step up, or just something similar to the v2.1 document?

He just kind of threw it at me without a lot of explanation....

I've seen mention up top that it's related to the XML library changing. Does that mean that the version just needs a second one for 2013? Or is it more complicated than that?

Also, if the one from the link isn't the same thing...is it better? Is it going to be something easy enough for teachers with absolutely no computer skills but can somewhat create their own quizzes this way?

Thanks for any answers/help!

In reply to Teddi B

by Teddi B -

Update to question: Supervisor just wants to see if I can make the 2010 version work with 2013. Does it, and I just don't know the steps to do that? I've been poking around a lot, and Google isn't helping me...though I could also not know what to search for.

In reply to Teddi B

Trả lời: Re: moodle quiz template (updated)

by Huỳnh Tấn Vinh -

This is moodle_quiz_v21 I was edited. I checked, it works well on MS Word 2007, MS Word 2010 and MS Word 2013. I want to share the tools for everyone.

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58268437/moodle_quiz_v21.zip

In reply to Huỳnh Tấn Vinh

Re: Trả lời: Re: moodle quiz template (updated)

by Cris Fuhrman -

Thanks for sharing. Although I was able to open the file in MS Word 2010 under Windows 7, whenever I try one of the functions on the toolbar, I get an error that the macro is missing or has been disabled because of security reasons. This was the same problem in Office 2013. I do not want to turn off macro security to make it work, as that's a risk.

I think the VB macro solution for this project is not viable long-term. This is why we started the https://code.google.com/p/word-moodle-quiz/ with a VSTO solution that installs in Windows with a setup.exe file. We should have a new release coming up in the next week or so, with user-friendly editing of multiple-choice questions with feedback, including images in both questions and answers.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Teddi B

by Teddi B -
You know what, I figured this out myself. The boss decided that since it just needs one set up per computer utilizing the file, it should be fine. Thanks anyway....
In reply to Teddi B

by mahnaz moghbeli -

Dear sire/madam, I am webmaster of an English learning private institute, my major is learning English to none English student. i want to add some online class and online quiz to my web page. my web site is wordpress CMS. can you suggest how can i do?

this is my web page. oh i forgot to say that my site is in Persian language

تدریس خصوصی زبان