Thinking about clearing all "Overridden" flags

Thinking about clearing all "Overridden" flags

by Bob Puffer -
Number of replies: 22
These overridden flags are an incredible pain in the button-clicking finger. Maybe a plugin that allows clearing all category and course total overridden flags? Ideas?
In reply to Bob Puffer

Re: Thinking about clearing all "Overridden" flags

by Andy Cravens -
I routinely do a mass reset of the overridden flags by using SQL. Check this post and see if this is what you need.

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=128532#p565472
In reply to Andy Cravens

by Andy Cravens -
I just now had a chance to sit down and re-read your post. The SQL in the referenced post isn't exactly what you need but I can edit it to work. I'll look at it when I get out of this meeting.
In reply to Andy Cravens

by Bob Puffer -
So... I decided to see about a plugin that would remove grades overrides for course and category totals. Really wasn't that hard. Here it is, if anyone finds it useful. Unzip from your moodle directory, it'll add a folder to grade/reports and a language file to lang/en_utf8.

Run Site admin->notifications so you get the permissions set and you're good to go. Will give you another report link under the gradebook->view tab.
In reply to Bob Puffer

by Mark Pearson -
Bob,

How does this relate to Helen Foster's post here :

"Regarding bulk removal of overridden flags, you'll be pleased to hear we're hoping to add the LSU's grade item and student grades quick edit feature to the grader report (MDL-18229) as part of our Stage 2 gradebook improvements (see Development:Gradebook improvements)."

and this tracker item that she refers to :

Add grade item and student grades quick edit feature to the grader report

Please forgive my obtuseness -- I'm wondering whether I should pre-emptively worry about this issue smile

Mark
In reply to Mark Pearson

by Bob Puffer -
Well... there is some relationship between LSU's Quickedit feature and removing overrides in that the Quickedit feature allows you to remove them but also removes the finalgrade value in so doing. The (rather simple, feeble) fix I've put forth here only removes the overrides on category and course total grades (in the event they've been "usually-accidentally" overridden) and forces a recalculation of all the totals (very minimal overhead, actually).
In reply to Bob Puffer

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Bob - I have also had challenges with all the clicking involved in overriding grades. Curious if you could describe the situation in which you need to do this?

My situation is this:
If a student has not yet completed an assignment and it is getting close to the assignment I like to enter a "0" for their grade so they can see the "negative" affect not completing the assignment will have on their grade total. But when you manually enter the grade the "overriden" flag is checked and even if the student completes the assignment (like an autograded quiz for example) the new grade will not be entered. So I can see if I did this it would be nice to "undo" all the overrides for that category but not necessarily all the overrides in the entire course as I may have overriden other grades for other reasons and do not want to clear them all out.

What challenges have you encountered and why might you want to clear them all out.

Thanks for your work on this.
In reply to Deb Burdick-Hinton

by Bob Puffer -
I don't want to clear them all out -- just clear out overridden course and category totals which frequently occur when the "grader" (read: teacher's assistant) tabs through a bunch of columns inputting points, gets to the bottom of the last column in a category or the last column in the course and continues inputting grades (ostensibly from the next category). Now they're inputting numbers into the category total or course total column and a simple <ENTER> is sufficient to force them to override requiring painful, manual deletion, one-by-one.

If someone wants overridden flags cleared altogether, they should be looking for a different hack.
In reply to Bob Puffer

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Bob Puffer

by Andrey Shtifanov -

Thanks for your plugin, but it do not work in our Moodle installation (v. 1.9.10).  I am correct your script (index.php) and now plugin work fine.

include_once('../../../config.php');
require_once($CFG->libdir . '/gradelib.php');
require_once $CFG->dirroot.'/grade/lib.php';
require_once $CFG->dirroot.'/grade/report/lib.php';

$courseid = required_param('id', PARAM_INT); // course id

if (!$course = get_record('course', 'id', $courseid)) {
print_error('nocourseid');
}

$context = get_context_instance(CONTEXT_COURSE, $course->id);

require_capability('gradereport/removeoverrides:view', $context);

// default return url
$returnurl = $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'];

// Update all overridden flags for any item with 'course' or 'category' as the itemtype for this course
$sql = "UPDATE {$CFG->prefix}grade_grades g, {$CFG->prefix}grade_items i
SET g.overridden = 0
WHERE i.courseid = $courseid AND i.id = g.itemid";

// $info = get_records_sql($sql);
$db->Execute($sql);

grade_force_full_regrading($courseid);

redirect($returnurl);

In reply to Andrey Shtifanov

by Bob Puffer -

Hi Andrey,

We don't use the "clear overrides" anymore as we're using the "Value input assignment grading UI" with $CFG->wipealloverrides MDL-9085.  Check it out if its of interest to you.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Jane Rice -

Has there been any progress on the highly desirable goal of clearing overridden grades by column? I'm using Moodle 2.6 and do not have admin privileges. I assist other faculty in using Moodle, and this is one of the common headaches I encounter with Moodle. It seems that for some reason a lot of people enter grades into the wrong column and then need to remove them when they discover it. When they enter grades into category total columns, it's even more of a headache to remove them. A "remove overrides on column" feature would save instructors I work with a lot of time.

In reply to Jane Rice

by Bob Puffer -

Removing overrides button was not an outcome of the Gradebook conference. You should see an admin setting that disallows input into category and course grade cells.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Richard Samson -

Bob,

This - making overrides impossible for category toals and and course totals - is not what most users (teachers) seem to want. We want to be able to override grades manually sometimes. But we also want to be able to remove all overrides at once in a grader column (item or category total) where these have been entered wrongly.  Not possible?

Richard

In reply to Richard Samson

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

But if you want the gradebook to work, you should never override a category total or course total as that will stop it from calculating.  You should override the individual item which you still can. 

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Edwinna Lucyk -

I disagree that category totals should not be overridden.  There are times when a teacher wants to override a category total.  For instance, the teacher may want to round up a semester average.  As long as the category override is the last thing you do, i.e. after all items contributing to the category total have been entered, there is no problem.

I agree that when overridden flags have been set in error, you need to clear all overridden flags in a column.  For example, we have had the problem that when a teacher enters grades in Grader view and presses the Update button, sometimes the overridden flag is set for all entries in the category (grade items and category totals).  We have experienced this problem in v 2.3 and 2.7.  When that has happened, the teacher needs to clear the overridden flag entry by entry which is very time consuming.

In reply to Edwinna Lucyk

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I can see that but as an admin, I constantly battle "My gradebook isn't working" because teachers do this and then don't realize that it will stop calculating.  I recommend adding an extra item if you need to manually adjust the grade but that is just my preference!

However, going back to the override clear option, 2.8 does has the feature to clear the overridden status in a column by going to the Quick Edit screen.  From this screen, you have the option to set Overridden for All or None.

by Lisa Wiebenga -

I feel this pain as an administrator, too.

Not just a column...I'm dealing with an instructor that re-enrolled a student from a previous semester (Emma, you responded to my other post, thanks!) and cleared his grades manually in the grader report. Now she can't enter any new grades in until we clean out the overrides.

by Richard Samson -

Thanks, Emma.

We are using 2.6.3+ at the moment but I think that in the autumn we will move to 2.8, so then i will have the feature I want.

I understand your reservations about overriding category and course totals. As some of the other correspondents have mentioned, it is clearing out the overrides after misuse that is so time consuming pre-2.8. Rectifying the error takes as long as making the error. Much too long in many cases!

Richard

In reply to Richard Samson

by Emma Richardson -

Install the LAE Grader Report - it allows you to clear them by column.  When I used it, it did not work on the category totals or course total but that might have been rectified in later releases.  Or you can run a script on the database and clear them all at once.

by Richard Samson -

Thanks, Emma, but I see that developmentof the LAE Grader Report is now discontinued in favour of developing the core gradebook in 2.8. So I'll wait!