Survey Module

Re: Survey Module

by Thomas Robb -
Number of replies: 1
Here are some ideas on features that I think a survey module should have:

Types of surveys:

1) Likert scale questions where the survey maker can select the number of points on the scale from 2 for a simple "agree/disagree" "like/dislike" to up to 10. Some people like to have an even number of points so that people cannot select a middle, neutral point, while others want that.

There should be a provision for a separate "Doesn't Apply/No opinion" selection so that people don't simply choose the middle point becuase the question is inapplicable to them or they don't want to bother thinking about it.

2) Multiple choice questions where the creator can stipulate that only one, or one or more can be selected.

3) Prioritization questions where the respondants can arrange the items in a specific order. (This will also take some fancy report programming to make the results interpretable.

Result reporting

1) The results would have to be presented in an attractive and meaningful way depending on the nature of the item type.

2) The creator needs to be able to stipulate when people can see the results:

a) immediately upon responding
b) after the survey has been closed

3) Respondants should be given a choice of having the results sent to them by e-mail (or a notification of where the results may be viewed) once the survey has been closed.

4) The survey creator should be able to review the results by individual respondant in addition to seeing the overall summary.

5) Additional bell & whistle: Having the results exportable in a comma/tab delimited format readable by Excel and other spreadsheet programs. This would allow people to do cross-tabluations on responses, calculate the signficance of responses, etc. without having to build this feature into the program where it might be little used.

Other desirables:

1) Any one logon ID should be able to take the survey only once.

2) There needs to be a reset capability so that survey creators can pilot test the survey on a small number of people to make sure that the responses conform to their expectations, and then reset it to 0 for the actual survey.

3) A graphic should be insertable on each item in the survey for questions that require them.

Well, this is all that I can think of off the top of my head. I hope it doesn't discourage you too much! Many of the above features can be added slowly once the basic module is up and running, providing that the code allows for expansion.

--Tom
In reply to Thomas Robb

Re: Survey Module

by P. Timothy Ervin -
It seems to me that most, if not all and more, of this is already included in the Workshop module which I believe is coming along fairly soon.

The current survey (Choice Module) is much simpler and for getting a quick idea of users' opinions works fine just the way it has been set up, in my opinion. About the only option you bring up that I would second is the reset option, but it's fairly easy to do that through the back door using phpMyAdmin.

Moodle is a complex program as it is and I don't think that we should be pushing for making it even more complex (or bloated). Once the Workshop module is completed, I think you will find it can handle your type of "survey" quite nicely.

Just my two yen on the topic.

Cheers,
ptervin