Lightwork web services

Lightwork web services

by Paul Charsley -
Number of replies: 14

The Lightwork project is using the web service support available in Moodle 1.9.x to display and update data in Moodle. See our page in the Modules and Plugins database (http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=2743). We are using:

• The OKtech libraries with version 0.7.3 of the NuSOAP PHP toolkit
  • Version 1.1 of Apache axis for our web services client
  • SOAP 1.1, document style

So far our experience with using these tools to integrate with Moodle has been good and in addition to database data our web services can download student submission files as attachments.

We have a test Moodle site set up which you can connect to to test out our Java rich client marking tool. All the source code can be obtained from the repository on the project web site. The project is under development and we welcome feedback and questions either on this forum or on the Lightwork site (http://lightwork.massey.ac.nz).

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Charsley

Re: Lightwork web services

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I just wanted to makes sure you were aware of the web services work being done for Moodle 2.0? Development:Web_services.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Paul Charsley -

Yes, we are aware of the work being done for Moodle 2.0. However, since many Moodle sites will be using 1.9.x for some time to come and there isn't a release date for 2.0 then the first release of Lightwork will be targeted at 1.9.5. In the meantime we are keeping an eye on the improvements and opportunities that 2.0 offers. A challenge for us is to ensure that our software will always be backward compatible with 1.9.x.

by Olumuyiwa Taiwo -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Paul.

Is any work being done in a Moodle 2.0-compatibe version of Lightwork?

In reply to Olumuyiwa Taiwo

by Paul Charsley -

Hi Olumuyiwa,

Creating a Moodle 2.0 compatible version of Lightwork is high on our list of priorities. We hope to do this work in the first half of 2011 once funding is approved. You'll be able to track work on this issue by looking at http://lightwork.massey.ac.nz/issues/show/992.

Thanks, Paul

by Olumuyiwa Taiwo -

Thanks Paul.

In the meantime, there doesn't seem to be a way to report issues with the current version on the project site.

We're currently evaluating Lightwork and have run into an issue with the 2.3.5 version for Mac OSX. The issue is that we are unable to connect to the Moodle site through a proxy server. The error we get is "nested exception", which is not very helpful.  The same version for Windows works well on PCs connecting through the said proxy server from within the same network.

Any hint as to what may be going on would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Muyi

by Paul Charsley -

Hi Muyi,

I will update our project site to allow you to create an account and add your issue. Please can you attach the log file with the "nested exception" error.

Thanks, Paul

by Olumuyiwa Taiwo -

Thanks for the prompt reply, Paul.

Where (i.e. in which folder) should I look for the log file?

Thanks,

Muyi

by Paul Charsley -

Hi Muyi,

This file/files are located in the lightwork user's home directory which on a MAC can be opened by going to menu go->home. The files are lightwork.log, lightwork.log.1, etc.

Thanks, Paul

by Olumuyiwa Taiwo -

Hi Paul,

Please find the log file attached.

Thanks,

Muyi

by Olumuyiwa Taiwo -

We found a solution to the issue of Lightwork not being able to go through a proxy server.

The problem was that Macs use a different proxy from the one used by Windows PC's, and that proxy requires authentication.  But for some reason, Lightwork was unable to authenticate with that proxy server.

The solution was to install Authoxy on the Mac, and configure it with our proxy server, plus the network username and password used to authenticate with the proxy server. Lightwork's proxy setting was then set to use Authoxy, which runs by default on port 8080 on 127.0.0.1, no authentication.

Setting up Authoxy is fairly straightforward, but this article may be useful.

Hope this helps somebody.

-- Muyi

Lightwork Moodle integration problem

by Paullo Abreu -
Dear Paul,
I tried hard and long to install the moodle integration package (the client is installed in my machine), using the package you compiled here:

http://lightwork.massey.ac.nz/attachments/107/lightwork-2009100600-moodle.zip
but I keep getting the error:

Errors found in XMLDB file: Problem loading table lw_rubric, Some FIELDS previous/next values are incorrectScroll to continue button

Upgrade failed! See local/version.php

when visiting the admin page.
Can you help?
Also, it took me ages before I could find your package. That could be more clearly signaled in the documentation in the project page.
Thanks in advance...

Paullo Abreu
In reply to Paullo Abreu

Re: Lightwork Moodle integration problem

by Paul Charsley -

Hi Paullo,

Sorry for the confusion. The reason that you couldn't easily find it is that it hasn't been released yet. It is being released with Lightwork 0.1.9 this Friday 16th October. You have found a very early version of the file that was still under test and designed for a later client than the one you are using. All our software for download is on the http://lightwork.massey.ac.nz/projects/list_files/fat page.

Apologies again for the time you have wasted. We will let you know when the package is added to our site this Friday and will help out if you have any problems installing and getting it to work with the client.

thanks, Paul

Re: Lightwork Moodle integration problem

by Claire Browne -

Is there a Lightwork for Moodle 2.0 yet?