Optional Rank Question not working how expected

Optional Rank Question not working how expected

by Mat Cannings -
Number of replies: 4
I am putting together my first survey and have hit a minor problem. I have an optional Rate question that asks a person to Rate any rows that are relevant. When the user puts in a response on one row they are forced to put a response in all rows. Is there any way to avoid this problem as I would only like response on the relevant rows.

The (abridged) question is detailed below

If you do not use a specific ILT resource for any of the following please indicate why.

1=Not available at all
2=Not accessible when needed
3=Not familiar with
Internet and World Wide Web
Word-Processing
Database

If a person were to select "Not familiar with" for Database the system forces a response to be filled in for all the other rows as well.

Is there a way to avoid this behaviour with the Rate question type or can anyone think of a better way of asking this type of thing using the Questionnaire?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mat Cannings

Re: Optional Rank Question not working how expected

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Mat,
Your question has been asked before: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=116641
In your case, I suggest adding a N/A column to your table (see attached edit question and questionnaire view screenshots).
What might be useful would be for all the N/A choices to be checked by default. What do you think?
Joseph
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Mat Cannings -
Hi Joseph,
I did have a search before but failed to find that, must have used the wrong search terms.
Your suggestion will definitely work.

Can I also thank you and Mike for the work that you must have done on this module as it works perfectly and I have now been able to convert an almost useless paper based survey into an very useful online one. The last time I tried this module, several years ago, it was quite ugly and difficult to use and I did not implement it, but now it is really slick and straight forward to use and I can see it being widely used here.

MatC
In reply to Mat Cannings

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Mat,
Thank you (on Mike's behalf and my own). It is nice to get the occasional word of gratitude.smile
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Joseph Rézeau -
Fix committed to have all the N/A choices checked by default (in a rate, non required question with an N/A column). See CONTRIB-1552.
Joseph