How to set up extra credit?

How to set up extra credit?

by Wendi Dunlap -
Number of replies: 8
I have some extra credit options for my students. How do I set them up so that Moodle lists them in the gradebook but does not include their points in the total points possible?

(So, for example, if I have 200 possible class points, + 30 extra credit points available, 200 is still the possible points and a student can theoretically get 230/200.)

In the eCollege system I used previously, I could specify that an item was extra credit and it would automatically do this. I don't think it's built into Moodle, but are there any good workarounds? I'm thinking now I will have to put the assignments in as 0 points and manually give points, but that will confuse students.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wendi Dunlap

Re: How to set up extra credit?

by jason browne -
Hi Wendi Dunlap, where you able to solve this problem? I to have planned to have extra credit in my course? If I can not find a suitable solution I may have to just forget about adding extra credit.
In reply to jason browne

by Wendi Dunlap -
Nope, no luck. I ended up just putting the extra credit items up, labeling them in BIG LETTERS as extra credit smile, and then dealing with the students' confusion.
In reply to Wendi Dunlap

by jason browne -

Thanks wendi,

Does anyone know how I can have one of my quizzes count as extra credit?

If not is there a way I can drop the lowest scoring quiz. I have five quizzes, I was thinking I can drop the lowest scoring quiz and that may serve instead of extra credit.

Cheers,

Jason

In reply to Wendi Dunlap

by Gustav W Delius -

Hi Wendi, I only just discovered your question. The gradebook with calculated columns was written exactly to allow the kind of final grade calculation that you want. See http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=3784.

In reply to Wendi Dunlap

by Dan Eliot -

The way I do extra credit is as follows.

(1) Set up an assignment called Extra Credit.  Make it worth 1 point, and give every student 1 point on that assignment.  This way, no penalty.  Every student starts with 100% on this "assignment", and you have nothing to explain to the students.

(2)  When you want to give a student Extra Credit, modify the assignment to be worth, say 100 points temporarily.

(3)  ADD the number of extra credit points into this "assignment" for each student.  Don't forget to leave them the 1 point they already had.  So if they just earned 10 extra points, they now have 11 Extra Credit points  (10 plus the 1 "default" point).

(I know... this is silly... about as silly as Moodle not having Extra Credit in my opinion.)

(4)  MODIFY the assignment BACK to being out of 1 points possible.

The end...

Hopefully, once Gustav's new calculated grade module is part of the general distribution, we can all forget this Extra Credit nonsense smile

Dan