Support for Sclipo Live Web Class Plug-in

Support for Sclipo Live Web Class Plug-in

by Gregor Gimmy -
Number of replies: 28
Hi, I'm Chris from Sclipo.

We recently contributed a new Live Teaching plug-in which allows teachers to schedule and teach up to 100 students live in their own private web classroom right from Moodle. The latest version is available for download here:
http://download.moodle.org/plugins/mod/sclipowebclass.zip

I've created this discussion topic so that Sclipo can provide support and receive the community's feedback directly from Moodle.org.

I hope you enjoy the plug-in and I can't wait to hear your feedback.

-Chris

P.S. You can also follow and contact Alex Blessing, the plug-in's developer, on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/SclipoMoodle
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gregor Gimmy

Re: Support for Sclipo Live Web Class Plug-in

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Chris - First, thanks to the Sclipo team for their work on this Moodle activity module. Keep in mind that it is preferred that we promote users making use of http://download.moodle.org/download.php/plugins/mod/sclipowebclass.zip so that Moodle's download server can gather statistics on the number of downloads. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Gregor Gimmy -
Hi, Anthony. Building the plug-in was lots of fun and, if the great feedback we've received from the community is any indication, improving it will be even more.

Thanks for the info on downloading... we'll make sure to link to that zip from now on.

Have a great Saturday!
In reply to Gregor Gimmy

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Chris - I am glad to hear that the development was fun and I hope that your interaction with the Moodle community only adds to your already positive experience. Keep up the great work! Peace - Anthony

by Victor Santos -
Hello.

I am trying to get it to work, But I am missing something, I can successfully create the class and I (teacher) can start the class.

But the students can't, a message appears: "You don't have access to this room" .
How can I avoid this and make it to work?

Thanks.

PS: i am using Moodle 1.9.4 (Build: 20090128)
In reply to Victor Santos

by Gregor Gimmy -
Hi, Victor. Could you answer a couple of questions to help me figure out what is not working?
  • Do your students see the attached screen asking them to create an account or sign-in?
  • If not, do they have the latest version of Flash and a new-ish browser (preferablely Firefox 3.5)?
Thanks for providing more detail,
Chris
Attachment Web_Class-_Student_Sign-in_Screen.png
In reply to Gregor Gimmy

by Victor Santos -
Hi,

Yes they see that! it's after that, that the message appears.
And I also tried on IE 7 and it only showed that grey screen, and nothing else.

In reply to Victor Santos

by Alison Hall -
Hello Chris,

The module looks really promising, however we are experiencing the some of issues described by Victor. We are testing the module in version 1.9.4 and have Flash 10+:

No access:
  • Users (other than the teacher who set up the room) receive the error message "You don't have access to this room" when trying to access the classroom via the link which can be emailed and through the moodle interface. This includes moodle admins.
Internet Explorer 7:
  • Using Firefox (3.5+) allows users to get as far as the sign in/register with Sclipo page before the situation described above happens, but if you use Internet Explorer (7) you get a grey screen and the sign in/register pop up box does not appear.
General Access:
  • Is there any way for users to not have to login/create an account with Sclipo to access the webclass? I know your registration process is very painless but additional logins and registrations for modules that are integrated with moodle often puts our users off using a tool (and kinda defeats the purpose of a plugin).
The Sclipo interface is really easy to navigate and use. A heading called "chat" on top of the chat area would improve usability a little more.

I hope that helps - can't wait to get in a have a proper explore smile

Thanks
In reply to Alison Hall

by Gregor Gimmy -
Hi, Alison. Glad to hear you're so excited about the module.

Access
We've made an improvement on our end which should resolve any connection issues. When you have a moment please try creating and entering a new web class.

IE 7
Thanks for the heads up on Explorer 7 (ah, Explorer you make life so interesting wink), we're working on this right now.

General Access
Thanks for your feedback. I will discuss this with our product planning team.

Finally, regarding the "chat" header, this makes a lot of sense.. thanks (again!)! It's really helpful getting real feedback from real teachers. Thanks!

Happy teaching,
Chris

by Alberto Teresia -

It seems to me that is not exactly appropriate to host SCLIPO in this pages and to accept its module among the offical Moodle's modules. SCLIPO is essentially a commercial initiative, i.e. the opposite of mooodle spirit. and they are just digging into moodle users to do their marketing.

The SCLIPO module claims to "integrate" with moodle but, this statement it is only a scam, i.e. a sort of advertising banner, which help SCLIPO smart marketing managers to bring users (and prospective payers) to SCLIPO withour really integration.

To prove this just note that (as I experimented and as many have innocently noticed in this forum)

1) Moodle users (not only the SCLIPO paying teachers) have to REGISTER AGAIN in SCLIPO

2) Moodle users once connected thru Moodle get the normal SCLIPO interface with all their publicity.

3) only if the course is made public, i.e. completely SCLIPO they can access (see the forum comments)

In other words the SCLIPO MODULE it is basically just a "LINK" to a commercial elearning module, camoufled by a MOODLE module, since it has no single characteristic that we can call "integration" a normal moodle link would do just the same service, whiout needing any forum for it.

On the other hand I am not saying is bad, SCLIPO is a great commercial product, although very poor respect to many competitors(they do not have desktop sharing or whiteboards). But it is JUST the opposite of the OPEN AND SHARING spirit which informs the MOODLE COMMUNITY and it is unfairly DIGGING on IT.

In reply to Alberto Teresia

by Gregor Gimmy -

Hi Alberto, thanks for your comments about the Sclipo plugin for live teaching.

In summary, when we submitted the Plugin, it was reviewed and approved by the Moodle team. Here my detailed answers:

"SCLIPO is essentially a commercial initiative, i.e. the opposite of mooodle spirit..."

Sclipo is commercial, like other companies with plugins at Moodle. The Sclipo plugin is open source, and free for K-12 and University teachers.

"1) Moodle users (not only the SCLIPO paying teachers) have to REGISTER AGAIN in SCLIPO"

Users have to register once, never twice.

"2) Moodle users once connected thru Moodle get the normal SCLIPO interface with all their publicity."

That is not the case. Users stay within their Moodle environments to register and login, as well as to schedule, start and join a session (see attached screenshot). When starting a new session, a new window or tab opens with the Web Teaching Room (this is how we call the virtual classroom.) That interface does not contain advertising. It contains a text "Teach from your own Web Teaching Room", which a link to Sclipo. For teachers with Moodle, this allows them learn about the plugin.

"3) only if the course is made public, i.e. completely SCLIPO they can access (see the forum comments)"

This is not the case. Please check your installation of the plugin.

For any questions about the plugin, please do not hestitate to write us.

Thanks,

Gregor

In reply to Gregor Gimmy

by Mariam Iman -
Hi!

I am not sure if this is the right place. But I tried to install sclipo web class plugin, it said that tables are generated correctly, but when I try to add a new activity, it shows only a empty page, only above is showed the text "add sclipo live web class to week one" And then there seems to be an empty table border.

(i use moodle 1.9.5+ with german language)

I dont´t know how to fix this?
In reply to Mariam Iman

by srinivas k -
I am also facing same problem.
I am using moodle 1.9.5 flash 10 and fire fox 3.5
Is it an installation problem or any other compatible issue?

Please guide me with full steps with configuration.

In reply to srinivas k

by srinivas k -
My issue has solved with install the curl library. more details Click here
In reply to srinivas k

by Mark Grace -
I've installed the Sclipo Module.... With out a hitch smile

In my moodle course I can add the activity Sclipo Live Web classes. When I add I can see the interface and I see the Register and Login panel....

I have an account with Sclipo but when I sign in through moodle.. Nothing happens.. I see a White page saying..

Error: Need to be logged in to Sclipo

But didn't I just login???

It's probably a flash thing right????
In reply to Mark Grace

by Nikolay Nikolov -
J have just the same problem triste
In reply to Nikolay Nikolov

by Martin Contreras -
I have the same problem
I use Ubuntu to try to connect to Sclipo and when I try to login from Sclipo form
inside moodle, a new windows opens and tries to load and nothing happend
and the page shows in a dialog box logging credentials

Thanks for all

Martin
In reply to Mark Grace

by Enrique Robredo -
I have the white page but this is the error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: date_default_timezone_set() in /home/ru000149/public_html/aulavirtual/mod/sclipowebclass/sclipoapi.php on line 487

Moodle 1.9.8 on Windows
In reply to Gregor Gimmy

by Santi Aguado -

Hi Chris,

First I want to thank's for this magnific development. I installed the plugin 2 weeks ago in our Moodle Platform 1.9, everything was ok, teachers can program their Sclipo Live Web Classes and everybody was able to enter the Class.

So this past week, something changes in the sclipo web sesion and now even the appearence is different from the first install. I think that they upgrade the Sclipo Flash Object. Now only the teacher that program the class can enter so anybody can't enter in the class. Except if we program the class to be Public, then, everything works so we don't want to do open classes in our moodle courses. Can you please hekp us solving this?

Thank's in advance,

Santi.

In reply to Gregor Gimmy

by Melody Foo -

Hi Chris,

Few weeks ago I installed the Sclipo Live Web Class Plug-in.  Everything went well; the teacher and students were able to attend the Web Class, the features (video presentation, document, whiteboard) worked fine. However, now, only the teacher (or the creator of the web class) can attend the Web Class.  After clicking on “Class Started Enter Now!”  and signing into Sclipo, the Live Session screen appears  (see attached).  This looks like a different screen from the original one, and it does not have the whiteboard feature. Moreover, when a student attempts to enter the Web Class from the Moodle course menu  (upon signing into Sclipo account) the new window  brings him to Sclipo’s “Welcome to your Profile” screen, instead of entering the Web Class. If the student uses the teacher's Sclipo's account to sign in, the Live Session screen will now have 2 identical users as presenter and student.  Appreciate your feedback.

Attachment SclipoScreen.JPG
In reply to Gregor Gimmy

by Justin Lloyd -
Hello, I've seen this issue presented a few times but haven't seen any answers posted.
I installed the Sclipo mod for Moodle and everything went fine. Took care of the notifications and such that came up, etc.

When I go to an activity, I can select "Sclipo Live Web Class"

If I haven't logged in, it asks me for my login, etc.

It says, "Adding a New Sclipo Live Web Class", and then the screen goes blank. No error messages or anything, just a blank white screen.

This is the address in the address bar:

http://www.***.com/moodle/mod/sclipowebclass/create_webclass.php?id=4&section=0&sesskey=0lQ5CeSsHm&add=sclipowebclass

Not sure how to continue from here as no information or error messages are posted. Tried this with several different computers and several different web browsers all with the same result.

Any ideas or solutions?
In reply to Justin Lloyd

by S P -
HI,

Just addition to the question above, we are using PHP 4.4.7 and we are getting the blank page as described above.

CURL:
libcurl/7.18.0 OpenSSL/0.9.7a zlib/1.2.1.2 libidn/0.5.6

When I use another server with php5 it works great, so I am not sure if this plugin works with PHP 4

Anyone please confirm.
In reply to Gregor Gimmy

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Gregor Gimmy

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Gregor Gimmy

by land owner -

can you help me to install this plugin?

i added this plug to my folder of mod

then?? i couldnt do anything

In reply to land owner

by Gregor Gimmy -

hello - please send us more info to be able to help. what moodle and php version are you running? did you follow the instructions on http://sclipo.com/plugins/moodle

please emails details to support@sclipo.com

thanks!

In reply to Gregor Gimmy

by vaishali kulkarni -

Thanks for this plugin. I used this with moodle 1.9

I installed the plugin, after that i tried to login in Sclipo Live Web Class then browser shows the following error

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/SampleMoodle/mod/sclipowebclass/create_webclass.php on line 900
Error: Need to be logged in to Sclipo

Please Help

In reply to Gregor Gimmy

by Joseph Garza Meyer -

Hello! 

I hope everyone is well.

Concerning the install, would you please clarify something for me please? 

First, while selecting the file type I've tried a few file types unsuccessfully but the one I believe was the most accurate was in selecting  Activity(module). However, the error message read "English language file" missing! Is this error message on my part and due to the file type or must I replace the file myself...? 

Please tell me how to proceed. 

In reply to Gregor Gimmy

by Dawn Draper -

Hi, I just installed Moodle on my hosting service and I downloaded, unzipped and added the Sclipo folder to the Mod folder in Moodle and uploaded to my server.  The next time I logged into Moodle I was advised of the new Sclipo plugin needed to be installed.  When I go to install it in Moodle I get a 404 error.