External DB with MSSQL 2000

External DB with MSSQL 2000

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Does anybody know if external db authentication works with mssql 2000? I have an idea it doesn't...... (sql errors)
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: External DB with MSSQL 2000

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Howard,

I've tested it here against MSSQL 2005 and seems to be working ok. Which exact errors are you getting? (with DEBUG_DEVELOPER and ADO debug enabled?).

Note that, in order to use MSSQL properly from Moodle as auth plugin, you should have everything installed like if you were going to use MSSQL as Moodle database, i.e Installing MSSQL for PHP and then select the mssql_n driver (db auth plugin) in order to get proper UTF-8 chars from the DB.

I haven't tried other mssql alternatives, so I cannot say how they are behaving...

Ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

Re: External DB with MSSQL 2000

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Eloy,

Well it sort of works. I'm about twice removed from the customer so I only have limited information. Authentication definitely works so I am confident that the mssql connection is fine. However, the profile fields fail to get copied over and the logs show an sql syntax error from mssql_query().

I'm trying the get the actual sql that caused the problem, but I thought the version might be an issue. I'll press on smile