Workshop 2.0 screenshots

Workshop 2.0 screenshots

by David Mudrák -
Number of replies: 31
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Into this discussion thread, I am going to put screeshots of the new Workshop UI so you can get an overview how the project evolves. Every screenshot will be added as a separate reply to this initial post. Comments, ideas, contra-proposals are (as usually) warmly welcome smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Mudrák

Editing assessment form

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
One of the first steps in the workshop set-up is preparing the assessment form. On contrary to the current version, teachers will be able to modify the assessment form until there is a first peer-assessment done. Assessment form is specific for the current grading strategy used in the workshop. Here, you can see how it looks with the default Accumulative grading strategy.
Attachment preview-form-editor.gif
In reply to David Mudrák

Assessing using the assessment form

by David Mudrák -
Here is how the form defined by the teacher is used by a peer to assess an assigned submission.
Attachment preview-assessment.gif
In reply to David Mudrák

Random allocation

by David Mudrák -
Here you can see how the random allocation (it est assigning submission to peers to assess) is done. By various combinations of allocation settings, the teachers can repetitively play with the tool until they are happy with the set-up.
Attachment preview-random-allocator.gif
In reply to David Mudrák

Re: Workshop 2.0 screeshots

by Stephan Rinke -
Hi David,

this looks really cool. I like it a lot! Now I know what you must've spent your summer doing. Hope you have been able to catch at least a bit of sun wink

Thank you so much,

Stephan

PS: just thought that "Students can assess without having submitted anything" would possibly be better than "Users can assess without their own submission" But I may be wrong...
In reply to Stephan Rinke

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
No you're not wrong, Stefan - I agree - the clearer the language the better - I suppose you could argue that users are not always students but nonetheless I think "can assess without having submitted anything" or is preferable (I am always reminded of the button in the online text assignment - "edit my submission" How long will it take an eleven year old - or even a 16 year old - to work out that means "click here to type your answer"? As for the screenshots - great- I am liking it already,although trust Hermione to be a show-off with hers!smile
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by David Mudrák -
Oh - that is a surprise for me! I always thought that these messages are only difficult to translate while they are clear for English speakers surprise
Thanks for such comments! The whole module will need a lot of language and stylistics review, indeed. However, being a Moodle translator, I do not agree with having the word Student here. You know, Student is just the name of a role archetype. If you change the role name, it should not appear anywhere else (ideally). The mentioned setting applies to all users with a capability to submit to the workshop. That is why I talk about users.
So, what would you say to "Users can assess without having submitted anything" ?

--mudrd8mz
In reply to David Mudrák

by Stephan Rinke -
Hello again,

what would people say to "Participants can assess without having submitted anything"?

I think that'd be a nice compromise in the users/students controversy.

Best,

Stephan
In reply to Stephan Rinke

by David Mudrák -
Yes, I like it Stephan. Thanks a lot.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Stuart Mealor -
Hi David - great work on this smile

We actually show people Workshop on our training courses, and apart from 5% who say it is too complicated most love the idea of peer-assessment opportunities.

Can you comment on whether Workshop 2 will be in Moodle 2.0 ?

There was talk about Peerlight being an option - has that officially been dropped and Workshop 2 is 'the way forward' ?

Thanks, Stuart smile
In reply to Stuart Mealor

by David Mudrák -
Hi Stuart,

yes, the current plan is to have the new Workshop in Moodle 2.0. There is still a lot of work to do, but I am trying my best to finish it asap.

I have no news about the Peerlight module nor I can say anything about its current state. However, the rewrite I am working on is "officially" supported by Moodle HQ.

d.
In reply to David Mudrák

by John Holmes -
You might also consider the word "Learner". I like to think we all fit into this category.
David, thank-you for your work in this area. I love the idea of the peer assessment, though I've not delved deeply enough into it, as it seems quite complicated to me.
However I like what I've seen from your new version.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Dan McGuire -
As someone who works with 8 and 9 year olds, I can say that the choice of words labeling the button doesn't make much difference. For many students the letter combinations associated with buttons are merely iconic, anyway. It is best to keep the number of letters and words to a minimum. Keep it simple; use icons when practical. Kids will figure out which button needs to be clicked to produce the desired result by either trial and error, or teacher and peer coaching. Conceptual understanding of the system within which the button resides, the meaning of any label, may not happen for years and is not necessary for the tool to be effective for learning how to write about the topic of the lesson.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Dale Jones -
This is great David. I look forward to following the way the New Workshop develops. It always was my favourite module.
In reply to David Mudrák

Editing assessment form - "Number of errors" grading strategy

by David Mudrák -
This is how teachers define the assessment form, when the Workshop uses "Number of errors" grading strategy (currently known as "Error banded"). The teacher defines a set of "assertions", ie propositions that may be evaluated and answered with "Yes/Good/Correct" or "No/Bad/Error". The grade for submission is based on the number of bad/error/missing aspects of the submitted work.
The assertions can be weighted. The assertion with a weight X is calculated X-times when mapping the number of errors to a grade.
Attachment preview-form-editor.gif
In reply to David Mudrák

Assessing using the assessment form - "Number od errors" grading strategy

by David Mudrák -
And this is how the assessment form is displayed to the peer to make the review. Note the submission being reviewed is displayed in a similar way as a post in the forum module (there is no submission attachment here in the example, just a piece of online text). I use a very new feature from Moodle 2.0 called "output rendering" to display the submission. This will allow not only to modify the CSS styling but also the whole HTML generated by the Workshop module. So experienced themers may tweak the output to fit their unlimited creativity's needs tongueout
Attachment preview-assessment-form.gif
In reply to David Mudrák

Re: Assessing using the assessment form - "Number od errors" grading strategy

by Juan Marín -
It looks pretty good!!

I think that this module will surpass my initial expectations. thanks a lot for your work
In reply to David Mudrák

Workshop planner tool

by David Mudrák -
The new version introduces a new user interface element called Workshop planner. Basically it displays all workshop phases (stages) and highlights the current phase. For every phase, a list of tasks the user is expected to do is provided. So the Workshop planner quickly informs both workshop participants (students) and moderators (teachers) what they are expected to do right now.
The planner populates tasks dynamically for every user to provide relevant and up-to-date information about the current state of the whole activity. Using the planner, moderators (teachers) shall easily recognize the progress of participants' work and get a quick overview of how many of them have submitted their work, finished their reviews etc.

From the technical point of view, the tool uses the new HTML output machinery. Thanks to that, advanced themers can not only tweak how the planner is CSS-styled but also to change the HTML output completely surprise.

See the attached picture for an example of what the planner may display to the Workshop moderator during the Submission phase.
Attachment planner-moderator.gif
In reply to David Mudrák

Workshop planner tool

by David Mudrák -
... and here is how the planner may look like to a student during the peer assessment phase.
Attachment planner-student.gif
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to David Mudrák

Re: Workshop planner tool

by Olli Savolainen -
This novelty indeed looks impressive. Visuals with both color and font size highlight the active element beautifully. Would love to hear how well people understand the whole dynamics of the tool in usability testing, though.

Hm, what does the light bulb stand for?
In reply to Olli Savolainen

by David Mudrák -
> what does the light bulb stand for?

Consistently with the main course page, this makes the phase active (switches the workshop to that phase) - compare with the "Mark the course section as the current one" (same icon).

In reply to David Mudrák

by Stuart Mealor -
I think this Workshop Planner view is going to be very helpful - for both teachers and students
- good stuff !
In reply to David Mudrák

Re: Rubric assessment form

by David Mudrák -
"Rubric" is a grading strategy that merges current "Rubric" and "Criterion" into a single assessment type. The assessment form consists of a set of criteria. For each criterion, several levels are defined, every level having a grade and definition. There will be an option whether the form should be display in a "list" format (as illustrated in the attached screenshot) or in a "grid" format* (as rubrics are usually displayed).

Attached, you can find how the assessment form might look. Thanks to http://www.nald.ca/CLR/Btg/ed/evaluation/multimedia.htm#student for the Rubric data. Also, note how Workshop integrates into the new side blocks - Navigation block and Setting block smile

*) Actually, displaying the form in a grid is not so easy due to the limitations of the underlying form library.

Attachment preview-rubric.gif
In reply to David Mudrák

by John Holmes -
This has been a long time coming.
Rubrics are what it's all about. Lack of rubrics have really been an issue for me and my school.
I'm really looking forward to this release.

If you would like a beta tester, I'm happy to help out.
In reply to John Holmes

by David Mudrák -
> If you would like a beta tester, I'm happy to help out.

Thanks a lot. I should announce a pre-release testable version here in the forum during three or four weeks.

d.
In reply to David Mudrák

by David Mudrák -
And now, the same rubrics, just the layout set to "grid". It is a little HTML/CSS hack of the Moodle form library output but it seems to work smile
Attachment preview-rubric-grid.gif
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to David Mudrák

by Maryel Mendiola -
Hi David !!

This Workshop is getting awesome every update smile

I think many teachers are going to use it now (and Like it)

I'll be waiting to try it

Congratulations David, and Thanks you so much for this Great work

In reply to David Mudrák

by Joe Murphy -
Fascinating! This looks like a great way to implement a rubric - is it likely to be restricted to the Workshop, or available for teachers in grading assignments (or even exams) as well?
In reply to Joe Murphy

by David Mudrák -
Rubric is going to be part of Workshop module only. However, there will be a way how to setup Workshop so it behaves similarly to the Assignment (all three types) - it est turning peer assessment off with teachers grading all submissions.
In reply to David Mudrák

by José de Jesús -

Paz y Bien.

David:

Congratulations by your great work. I am investigating how I can realise something similar, but not in the Workshop, but all the course. I to say, to create a module that integrates the assignment, the forums, examinations (Quiz), chats, Hot Potatoes, lessons, wikis and Workshop with the outcomes, in each of its items, by competitions, that allow to generate a report complete.
outcomes1.GIF   
Outcomes23
 Tabla de Valoración
Congratulations
Greetings
José de Jesús