i don't see forums listed as a "Dependent activity" for getting a certificate

i don't see forums listed as a "Dependent activity" for getting a certificate

by nancy nerenberg -
Number of replies: 8

Hi, we are setting up our courses so a student must complete quizzes, assignments, and graded forums in order to receive a certificate. But the Certificate Module does not appear to see graded forums as available to be dependent activities.

When I click the help question mark in the section where you add the "dependent activities,"  it says:

Any activities that are graded using points will be converted to a percentage for calculating the required grade."

However, when I click the drop-down to add the activity, forums are NOT listed as a choice. Why not? How can I get forums added to the list of possible "dependent activities"?

Help please, anyone?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to nancy nerenberg

Re: i don't see forums listed as a "Dependent activity" for getting a certificate

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
Sorry, forums were never added. If I get a chance, I will add them.
In reply to Chardelle Busch

Re: i don't see forums listed as a "Dependent activity" for getting a certificate

by nancy nerenberg -

That would be wonderful. Please let me know. It would be perfect for our purposes. Thanks,

Nancy Nerenberg

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
Hi Nancy,

Replace your certificate lib file with the one attached and let me know if it works okay. If so, I will add it to the download.

This will only work for forums using a numerical scale (rating) system.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by nancy nerenberg -
thanks. i'll let you know! -nancy

by Matthew Loxton -

Had the techies load the lib file and it broke Moodle.

All we could see was the logo and login prompt on the frontpage all courses and other content was gone and admin and other menus vanished.

Backed it out and things went back to normal.

Moodle 1.9.6 (Build: 20091021)

LAMP

by nancy nerenberg -
Chardelle,

We finally got Moodle to upload the lib file for us, and today I've been testing it. A few quirks:

-if I declare the forum to be a "dependent activity" and set the required grade to "no" (ie, learner just has to participate but doesn't get rated), moodle will let the learner print a certificate whether they've done the forum or not.

-if I declare the forum to be a "dependent activity" and set the required grade to a specific number of points, Moodle WON'T let the learner get the certificate, EVEN IF they had done it and gotten the points required.

It seems that the certificate block works correctly for quizzes, assignments, and questionnaires, but not for forums.

Is there anything you can recommend? Is there a better version than the one you sent me aug 19, 2009?

Sincerely, Nancy Nerenberg

by Paul Drayton -

I have moodle 1.9.7 and the new .lib didn't break anything I can see - the forums show up in the dependent activities.

Can't tell if the cert is doing what it should until I figure out what the forum grading options mean and do.... sad

In reply to Paul Drayton

Forums not working as dependent activities

by Paul Drayton -

This is what I have discovered:

Forum dependency works, but not as a %.

eg, I have my forums rated on a scale of 0-2. on the gradebook this shows up as 0-100%. But in the certificate module you have to ignore the % sign after the grade and assign the required grade as 2%, i.e. 2.

I looked at the code in the lib file, and there are checks about the rating scale, but I don't really understand them, so I left it alone.

Bottomline: Test your dependencies with different values, and ignore the % sign.