How do I (simply) export Quiz content to GIFT format?

Re: How do I (simply) export Quiz content to GIFT format?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Since they are text files, I think it makes more sense if they defaulted to .txt.

I can see the posts now: "How do I open .gft files?".
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Matt (M) -
For what it's worth, I second Martin's motion. I would prefer to keep it .txt for the same reason.

If GIFT supports comments in the content, then maybe a comment header at the top of the file explaining it's GIFT content might help (if it doesn't already do this)?

-Matt
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes, but the thing that opens .txt files when you just click on them in the file window sticks
 tags round the text which is a pain, and why I went for the .gift extension - it started as .txt. And an xml file is text too? smile

Anyway, you're the boss and I don't have a big thing about it either way, so I'll go with what you think is best.

I like Matt's comment idea - I'll sort that out later on (and the .txt) - off to sort out the messy garden, seeing as it isn't raining for once!!
In reply to Howard Miller

by Timothy Takemoto -
There is a minor but fatal bug (?) in the GIFT export in that random questions ("qutype4") cannot be exported (of course) and this prevents the export of the non-random questions. I think that random questions should just be ignored and posted a bug to that effect. Even if at some time in the future there are plans to export random questions (I don't really see the need) then it would be very nice to ignore them in the meantime. Indeed, it would be nice for the routine to ignore all question types that it cannot export, rather than give up on the export completely.

I suppose one might export them as something simple like ::!RANDOM QUESTION!::

To bad about the .gft format. I think it could have become an international standard, and allowed us to keep tabs on which files contain our quizes. As Howard points out there are lots of other "text files" (e.g. .html) that are given other extensions. But, the boss is the boss.

Tim