If you can start again - innoDB or MyISAM

If you can start again - innoDB or MyISAM

by HJWUCGA INC. -
Number of replies: 2
Hello everyone,

I now have the resources (i.e $$$) to build a new production/live Moodle server using VMWare.

My questions are:

1. I'll leave it as a 32-bit machine not 64 as I've heard there are problems running Moodle on that platform, correct?

2. I'll have 16 GB of ECC ram available and plan to install the OS/Moodle on one volume, MySQL standard on another volume, and Moodledata on yet another on our SAN. This should reduce our I/O bottleneck if they are not competing for the same disk, correct?

Any sample configurations that you could share think would help the performance botteneck?

3. We are currently using MyISAM and I don't have much experience (not yet anyway) with InnoDB. I heard it's "better" and what sort of changes, bugs, gotcha's,e tc. should I watch out for if I want to change it to InnoDB?

4. To convert to InnoDB, all I have to do is to use the Moodle builtin utility to do just that correct or would it better through SQL?

5. Once this is done, then I'll plan for failover.

Thanks.

Christopher

Average of ratings: -
In reply to HJWUCGA INC.

Re: If you can start again - innoDB or MyISAM

by Curtis Fornadley -
Here at UCLA we made the switch from MyISAM to INNODB last Spring. We notice better performance. I believe UCSB did the same.

not aware of any gottas

I believe row level locking is superior to table level

In reply to Curtis Fornadley

Re: If you can start again - innoDB or MyISAM

by HJWUCGA INC. -
Thank you Curtis. I'm leaning towards that way too.

By the way, I'm planning on designing a high availability platform here at my place of employment, a large college.

could you share with us your platform design? The more details the better =)

I'm planning on using HP blade with local drives to handle the OS & moodle and SAN with 2 LUN connections - one for MySQL and the other for Moodledata. Dual Quad core 3 G & 16 GB ECC ram. This for sure but for MySQL maybe a master slave setup.

thoughts?