ePortfolios in moodle

ePortfolios in moodle

by Crafton Williams -
Number of replies: 31
Does anyone know whether there is an ePortfolio system in the moodle pipeline?

If not, can anyone recommend an open source system that I can try to integrate?
I came across OSPI, but that is in java and I don't know how  well moodle will react to that. If no other system can be found, i'll give the java implementation a wak!smile

Crafton
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Crafton Williams

Re: ePortfolios in moodle

by W Page -
Hi Crafton,

Do a search on the site for "Portfolios" [without quotation marks]. This has been some discussion about that.

Also, send an email to Ger Tielemans.  He seems to know a lot about Student Portfolios and may be able to guide you better about it. I think he once suggested using the "Book" module for something like this.

Please post any good links here about any "free" software you come across that can do this.

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Jacob Romeyn -

An opensource Eportfolio is here:

http://www.theospi.org/

We installed it on a server and seems to be a good program.  A major advantage, it's Freeapprove

In reply to Jacob Romeyn

by Bryan Williams -
Would be wonderful if a project like this were undertaken by the PHP community, something that would rival the Java JSR 163 specification used by OSPI, Sakai, uPortal and these folks. This spec will allow all compliant portal, middleware and LMS/CMS software to exchange add-on features (portlets), like the OSPI eportfolio, among their different applications.  
In reply to Jacob Romeyn

by Jay Lloyd Neal -

I was just recently looking at The Open Source Portfolio Initiative (OSPI) platform. Which version did you have success installing? v1.0 or 1.5? Mandrake, Fedora, RedHat or OS X?

My biggest concern is that according to their docs they are gearing the OSPI towards being an Oracle installation (rather than a purely open source solution).

I have been thinking of ways to modify a MOODLE to duplicate or better yet improve on OSPI 1.5's interface for managing student uploads and resources... (I understand that the OSPI version 2 is still alpha-ish, but more feature rich than current demos, so I cannot compare to that).

Here's what I believe OSPI 1.5 does:

Provides a template with required fields for a student resume.
Provides a mechanism for upload of resources (images, word docs, etc...) to be displayed within the template.
Provides (v.2) mechanisms for assessment (advisor access and feedback).
Mechanism for selective guest user access of (multiple) finished portfolio "presentations."

Moodle is already more stable, and has parts that do most of these featured mechanisms towards a different end while using a basic and accessible lamp platform (as compared to tomcat, ant, Java, oracle, swing?, etc.).

I wonder if a Moodle codebase could be modified to allow every student to be assigned their own "eportfolio" course (with a new more restrictive course format with fixed labels) and access to only the blog or journal, and teacher-like control of label and resource modules within that course. The special resources in the eportfolio would need a feedback area that would be available to the student and the advisor, but hidden from those guests that were allowed in to view the portfolio via a "guest" key. If moodle could handle a couple of thousand such courses (minus quizzes, chats, forums, and all the other typical mods) then we are talking about potentially the best and most flexible eportfolio platform available. I guess the biggest change would be a mechanism restricting the size of each "eportfolio" course in Megabytes (at least until terabyte raids become commonplace tongueout).

What do you people think about this? Plausible?

by Michael Penney -
I haven't seen any good systems specifically made for ePorfolios, though there are a range of content management apps that could be good candidates for setting up an eportfolio system.

In face, we've discussed doing it here with a Moodle where every student is a teacher of their own course, and the lang and theme files hacked accordingly.

Since teacher level users can control the enrollment into their courses, can put content into their courses, etc. this seems to fit the usual definitions of eportfolio systems (though those do seem to vary depending on the people in the conversationsmile. For some defs of eporfolio you might need set things up so that advisors are automatically added as teachers (maybe non-editing teachers)?

For students interested in educational fields, the ability to create their own working quizzes, lessons, and assignments, etc. in their eportfolio might be a great 'selling point'.

by Deon Metelski -

Hello,

Here is one that I have been hoping to integrate into Moodle. It is simple and the code is pretty straightforward. I have adjusted and added grade levels where necessary. http://sourceforge.net/projects/klahowya2/

Just my contrib to further exploration big grin

Deon

In reply to Deon Metelski

by W Page -
Hi Deon!

I wanted to check this out so I installed the program.  Looks nice.

Install instructions are not clear about the admin userid/password but I worked it out via the database.

Anyone who would like to check this out you can go to,

Sign in as student01/student01.
I will leave it there for a while.

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Ger Tielemans -

nice, clean: candidate for the showcase-part of a student?

1. can you change the TOC of the pages (more or less headers)
  2. can the student decice which product will be visible for the public and which part only for the "inner circle" ? (=teachers of the institute and peers of the course)
  3. The app wants to have magic_quotes_gpc to be off, Moodle prefers on, is that a problem?
  • safe_mode = off
  • register_globals = on
  • magic_quotes_gpc = off
  • file_uploads = on
  • upload_tmp_dir = "\var\tmp"
  • upload_max_filesize = 2M
  • SMTP = your.mailserver.org

In reply to W Page

by Marc Dastous -

WP;

I got everything installed for this, but I too am stuck on the password issue for the admin.  How did you fix this?

Marc

In reply to Marc Dastous

by Marc Dastous -

Never mind, another learning experience!!!  I got it!!!

Marc

In reply to Marc Dastous

by W Page -
Hi Marc!

As you probably figured out. One has to manually put in the valures for the admin in the "admin_users" table in the database.

For anyone who would like to install this program and check it out they are:

TABLE --> admin_users
Field
Value
userid
login
admin
password
admin
firstname
Systems
lastname
Administrator

WP1
In reply to Deon Metelski

by W Page -
Guys Deon Metelski brought this program to the table, but, we have not heard anything on followup from him.
Deon are you out there??
WP1

by Jurgis Pralgauskis -
why not use wiki ?
In reply to Jurgis Pralgauskis

by Marc Dastous -

The application that is currently being discussed is VERY user friendly.  The learning curve is minimal and once the system is set up it is great!!  I do not find Wiki, user friendly for my younger students.

So when Deon brought up "Klahowya", I thought I would take a look at it.  The code is pretty straight forward and can be traced relatively easy (there aren't that many places the code could be). 

There are some issues that have already been discussed or need to be addressed:

1) The issue of Admin user name/password needs to be addressed

2) The need to amend the styles.php so that we could link to a Moodle CSS

3) I have altered the code a little to make it easier for visitors to view portfolios.

4) There are glaring mistakes in the code when you try to upload or delete files.  I fixed those last night.

I did all this to demonstrate ePortfolio possiblities at a second interview.  Trying to get it all done by next Monday at 3 EDT!!!wide eyes

This is what I have to this point: http://monroe.socialstudies4u.com/portfolio/

Marc

In reply to Marc Dastous

by W Page -
Hey Marc!

You are on a definite role with this.  I am going to take my demo site down.  What you have done so far is very logical and takes up much less screen space.

Now it needs a nice icon.

BTW, I'm grooving on your theme.  Very nice.

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Marc Dastous -
Hey WP thanks alot, I've learned alot over the last 24 hours big grin.  However, there is an issue...

The navigation doesn't work properly for the Admin.  Can anyone help me with the menu on the main page? It will allow us to select the letter of the last name to provide the list of students, but there is an apparent conflict that does not allow the admin to login; students can, but admins can't.  It has something to do with the following statement id="navlist"

Any ideas?  I have attached the entire edited version of this code.  The inc/alpha.php is the file in question.

Marc

In reply to Marc Dastous

by Marc Dastous -

Ok, I think I have a solution to the Admin login issue.  The login for the admin is calling the same block as the list of letters.  So I created a beta.php file that has been placed in the main INC folder.  At the same time, I edited the admin/index.php to call the beta.php file instead of the alpha.php file and everything seems to work.

I have attached the updated zip file with the patch.

Marc

In reply to Marc Dastous

by Ger Tielemans -

On the forum of the product, the author says that during seeding of the database the default admin was forgotten.. (soon solved?)

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Marc Dastous -

The Admin issue I was referring to was one that I created when I replaced the very long main page menu with a drop down menu.

While not a clean patch, it works none the less.

Marc

PS.  I have contacted the original coders for Klahowya and they are excited about the possible implementation into a Moodle distribution.

In reply to Marc Dastous

by W Page -
Hi Marc,

Good move!  I was thinking about the same thing.but did not want to intercede since you had taken such a great interest in the project and was moving it along.

My present wish list for the MoodlePortfolio would be,
  • A way to eventually plug it into a Student MyMoodle page probably via a link.  [The student should not have to signin if signed in already in Moodle]
  • A Separate entrance [web site address created from the Moodle site the portfolio is associated with] that college scouts, employers, etc. could use to access the portfolio and locate information on a student.
  • Someway for the admin to turn the feature on for the site
  • Someway for a teacher to have the option to keep it on or turn it off for their course.
  • Someway for the Admin and/or Teacher to be able to make a Student's Portfolio private if the parents or student do not want it to be public [By private I mean primarily for only other classmates and the teacher to see but maybe only the student and teacher to see.]
  • Allow the student to determine
    • what subjects from what year or not separated by any year to display/
    • If they want grades displayed or not [This should be more useful in a college or graduate setting].

If one looks at a student's Portfolio the way it is laid out now, it might look like the student is hiding something if a subject in a particular year is not completed.  That is why I suggested the student be able to have some options in how the portfolio is structured.  Maybe, even different templates. smile big grin  Art students may want to display their work differently than science students. Something like the College Scout Template, Employment Template, Course Work Template, etc.. smile big grin

Will stop now. big grin

WP1
In reply to Marc Dastous

by Ger Tielemans -
  • Nice implementation, like your background
  • I agree with you about wiki, it must be worth the effort to learn a wiki. The wish to have a portfolio is not enough for that...
  • Question is: can it be so simple? (a school wishes to lock pages that are accpeted with a school seal, maybe)
  • The system invites the whole world to open an account, hwo can you restrict it to your school: moodle control of the create an account  page? (Set selfassign to no, but then the admin has to do a big handjob, not moodle style....)
  • Only the admin can kill the account (so kill mine as soon as you are admin)
  • In this approach the student is 100% owner of his portfolio
  • The institute can structure the pages with headers,I like that
  • It makes you wonder if this could be sufficient, if you use Moodle for the process part/coaching during courses and you have an adminsitrationfor the formal registration of the results
  • the system is also accessable for visitors without a moodle account

Wishes:

• Keep this simplicity (easy to tune style, independent of moodle, important for presenations..)
  • I can create a button in Moodle to go to the frontpage, but I would like to jumpo to my personal page
  • The same for several buttons to go back to my last moodle course
  • Is it possible to sync the login for users and admin with the moodle login, like Martin does this with phpMyAdmin (if you merge the database with moodle, you could take this backdoor to setup the admin, I did it this way: open the admin_users tabel of portfolio and filla row to make my self admin)
  • The visbilaty of the passwords (and not md5) is a flaw, I think

• Technical question: I get errors if I try to upload images on my own system, has that to do with the on/off settings?

by Marc Dastous -

Ger;

Not being a coding wizard (not even an apprentice), many of the ideas that you mentioned are currently beyond my ability, but I am willing to collaborate with someone to learn more.

To address your points:

1. I think the user should have the ability to CHOOSE whether they want their portfolio visible to the whole world. I realize some institutions would prefer to approve student postings before they are made visible to the world, but...
  2. It would be nice to see this merged into the Moodle installation.  However, the ability for visitors to easily see the portfolios without an account is IMPERATIVE.  That is the whole idea; a portfolio to promote yourself.  Is there a way that any student portfolio that has been selected as visible to the world could be directly accessed by GUESTS without login in?  Essentially that would mean it couldn't be inside a course.
  3. Point 2 is exactly why I am torn on this one.  Should this be two separate installations?  Maybe as an option for the Main Menu?  I'm not sure.
  4. I believe your jumpoff could be implemented as a variable in the student portfolio view.  The menu could say something like, "My Homepage".
  5. I agree with the password issue, but that is definately beyond my understanding.  That's why a merge, as a module in Moodle, would be great.
  6. The images issue I am not sure.  I did not install this locally, I installed it on a subdomain at my host.

by David Le Blanc -

I have been adapting an open source product developed by Middlebury College in the U.S. It can actually be used as a course delivery or portfolio tool, depending on the end-user. You can play with the guest user account I have set up by loging in at: http://mysandbox.net/segue

username: guest
password: portfolio
The interface will be more understandable if you review the instructional guide that I have modified for my users: GUIDE (the links refer to my site)

I have the segue software on a shared server so I am unsure how it will handle multiple users accessing a single account mixed. If it should get overwhelmed, here's a link to the Middlebury guest user system:  http://seguecommunity.middlebury.edu/index.php (login in with demo/demo)

The site's home page is:
http://segue.middlebury.edu/index.php?&action=site&site=segue 

More discussions and information can be found at the SourceForge site:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/segue/

One thing that I have been very unhappy with many ePortfolio programs is that these tend to be overly determined.

1. The Segue system allows the learner/owner to modify and adapt the system to their own needs/preferences without the need of knowing HTML, etc.
  2. It is a secure system that allows the user decide what documents and sections they what to share with others and with whom.  
  3. Discussions can be added and controlled by the user/owner on any artefact they have posted. The owner/user decides who can participate in those discussions.
  4. The system integrates well with moodle by simply pointing to it / adding it as a resource Website. 

I'm will be using WinHTTRack to copy the contents of the learners' individual ePortfolios to CDs, so that the learner can take their ePortfolio away with them when they leave the school district.

P.S. At the time of this posting, I'm using an older version of the software that is currently available.

In reply to David Le Blanc

by W Page -
Hi David!

This is very interesting material.  I have flagged it in my mail so I can get back to it and study it when I have a bit more time this weekend.  Thank you for the info and demo site.

WP1
In reply to David Le Blanc

by Ger Tielemans -

Nice view

What I do not like is that the product does not support the option to enlarge these very small fonts, just by choosing a bigger font. (frames in use?)
The same for Enrico's portfolio, very nice view but... 

by David Le Blanc -

RE: What I do not like is that the product does not support the option to enlarge these very small fonts, just by choosing a bigger font.

Yes. There is an updated version of the software. I wonder if they've fixed this feature? thoughtful

by Deon Metelski -

Hello all,

I appreciate all your work and looking at the portfolio open source I had suggested. I thought it was clean and simple. I should have been looking at the forum more closely but when you are in charge of tech for 2 new schools opening in the Bronx I got a little sidetracked.wide eyes 

I plan on looking at all you have done today and the only thing I had concerns with was getting the public access to the student work turned off unless the student specified a password to say a college or a workplace to view. The rest of it is nice and easy. Maybe you looked and solved that already. Well back to work.

Thanks,

Deon 

by Matt Oquist -
As I find more and more discussions relating to Moodle Portfolios, I'm trying to link them together. Here's another one, rather inaccurately located in the Activity Modules forum. (I thought it would be an activity module when I started working on it.)

In case anyone is interested, here's some history on my current project:
The school district sponsoring my current work on a Moodle Portfolios module originally sponsored me to do some work on Klahowya in Jan.-Feb. of 2005. I added a Personal Learning Plan module* to Klahowya, and along the way I added basic (config-file) publication control over each portfolio element. I was so dismayed by the quality of the code and the total lack of security that I strongly encouraged the school district not to use it, and as a result I'm now working on solving the problem in Moodle instead.

I did contact the Klahowya folks to get my changes into the project, and I was invited to become a dev and get CVS access. I said "sure", but I never heard back from them. sad

* When I say "module", I mean nothing like "module".  Klahowya is anything but modular.