Where to find blocks?

Where to find blocks?

by Sean S -
Number of replies: 20
Where can I find a list of blocks available for download and installation? It would be great to browse a list of non-standard blocks and see if there are any I would like to try out.

Thanks

Sean
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sean S

Re: Where to find blocks?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes, it would be!   I'm still waiting for someone to step forward with a block repository for us.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Idea for block repository

by Jan Dierckx -
This is just an idea for a user interface for a blocks repository. Do you think it is useful?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jan Dierckx

Re: Idea for block repository

by Gustav W Delius -
Nice! In addition to this a categorized list of available blocks will be needed.
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by John Papaioannou -
I think a categorized list (preferably one you can also do keyword search in) would come first in importance. The live preview is certainly very very nice, but unfortunately it doesn't scale.
In reply to Jan Dierckx

by W Page -
Hi Dirckx,
Please share the block code for the two clocks on your site.
I had gotten one previously from another Moodler but it would only work in IE.  Both of these work in IE and FireFox.
WP1
In reply to W Page

by Samuli Karevaara -
Click the Info link on the block, the "I" on the upper right corner. You get a download link. I didn't check it but it seems to be the real thing. At least the .swf is there and a block_fancy_clock.php. 
In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Samuli Karevaara -
Jan, how public domain is the "Fancy Clock" on the site you linked to? Could I use it on a public site?
In reply to Samuli Karevaara

by Jan Dierckx -
Bryan Williams sent me the code after I remembered seeing a clock which worked in FF and IE on his site. His site uses Mambo, which is open source.
That's why I thought I could take out the code and put it in a Moodle block.
Correct me if I'm wrong. mixed

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Bryan Williams -
All code released for the Analog Clock is done so under the GNU open source licensing scheme. This code, and other cool stuff, is available at http://mamboforge.net/projects/mambohub/. Mambo is a PHP open source content management system with a robust developer community like Moodle.
In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Sean S -
This is great. I downloaded the regular clock and the bookmarks block today. Woo Hoo!

Is there anywhere else where I can find other blocks?
In reply to Sean S

by daniel ginerman -
oops! where did you find a "bookmarks block"? i didn't find it in that page, and i'd very want to have such a thing in my site...
could you share it, please?
thanx,

daniEl
In reply to daniel ginerman

by Jan Dierckx -
There are two versions of it in the Moodle forums. Both contain various improvements of my version, that's why I didn't bother updating it on my site.
If you take N's version, please fix a small typo in the following line of block_bookmark.php

$this->version = 20041001900;
should read...
$this->version = 2004100100;

Do this before you install, otherwise you will not be able to uninstall it as it prevents you from accessing the admin pages.
In reply to Sean S

by daniel ginerman -
oops! where did you find a "bookmarks block"? i didn't find it in that page, and i'd very want to have such a thing in my site...
could you share it, please?
thanx,

daniEl
In reply to Jan Dierckx

by daniel ginerman -
hi Jan,
I am using the too fancy clock in my site, it's really cool smile
tell me, is there any possibility of getting the "hebrew calendar" block alone, without the muslim attached to it?
thanx,

daniEl
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Tareque Chowdhury -

Hi

Could you please let me know how I can use fancy clock on my moodle site. I laready downloaded from your moodle site but I do not know how can I use this. Please help me.

Thanks

Tareque

In reply to Tareque Chowdhury

by Jan Dierckx -
Unzpip, then copy the directory fancy_clock to your moodle/blocks directory.
Afterwards visit the admin page of your Moodle installation, normally it's moodle/admin/index.php
The block will only work in Moodle 1.4.x
I will make a 1.5 version when 1.5 is released. That version will have a user configurable title. Still I must remember to change that strange name fancy_clock when I make a 1.5 version of this!
In reply to Jan Dierckx

Fancy Clock

by Karrie V -

I was just wondering how I could change the title Fancy Clock -  is it hard to do???

Thanks

In reply to Karrie V

Re: Fancy Clock

by Steve Hyndman -

I just opened the php file and changed the title. Look for the title variable and you will see "Fancy Clock". Change that title to whatever you want. See mine here: http://www.kentuckyclassroom.com/teacher/

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

Re: Fancy Clock

by Jan Dierckx -
blush I should have used language strings there. They will be in the 1.5 version of the block. And that one will have a configuration screen where every teacher can change the title.
I am stuck with one thing. The time should in fact be the time at the student's pc, not the server time. If someone knows how to do that, I will include it in the updated  version.