Accessing "Any part of the Moodle API"

Accessing "Any part of the Moodle API"

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The Site Administration > Networking > XML-RPC hosts page alludes to some interesting functionality. However, I can't find any documentation that describes how to use it.

Any offers?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Accessing "Any part of the Moodle API"

by Hubert Chathi -
As far as I can tell, you need to add IP addresses to that list. Then you need to change the mnet_dispatcher_mode configuration option to "dangerous" -- you need to do this by directly editing the database: there is no UI to do this. Plain XML-RPC calls will have a method name that start with "dangerous/". Look at mnet/xmlrpc/server.php, starting at the line that says: "////////////////////////////////////// DANGEROUS", to see what functions can be called. See also http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Web_services_API#But_what_if_I_have_a_death_wish_or_something.3F and note that this capability seems to be neither supported, nor well tested, and is called "dangerous" for a reason.
In reply to Hubert Chathi

Re: Accessing "Any part of the Moodle API"

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello,

Yes I was a few minutes behind you on realising this (after lots of digging through the code). Obviously this was primarily written to support the peer-peer functionality and the rest is confusing/undocumented and, well, dangerous.

Sadly, I think it will be quicker to write my own web services server for what I need sad

Plus, does anybody know if these MNET based services will be kept in 2.0?