Conditional activities: Regulates the rights for groups in a course: Testing phase

Conditional activities: Regulates the rights for groups in a course: Testing phase

by Bernard Boucher -
Number of replies: 17
Hi,
you will find here a demo site to test as teacher (l/p teacher1/teacher1) and as students ( student1/student1 student2/student2 ) a system based on the calendar that support the partly the following features extracted from some posts:

Gustav: Restricting activities to a subset of students:

Martin: Due-dates-by-groups

Brian: Modify dates from one page

Ger:
Regulates the rights for groups in a course

Timothy:
Teacher attendance / class finished button for irregular classes

Ger sentence reflect best what is the 3 "one screen functions" do:

1 - The regulation is calendar events dependant.

2 - Control at the course, module, group and time levels.

3 - All activities and resources are planned to be regulated ( only resource and quiz may be tested now ).

4 - One event may regulate as many activities and resources as you want for one time period.

4.1 - To activate one or many activities you create an event with the exact names of the activities ( one per line in text mode ) in the description of the event. ( Select from course view copy and paste of one or many works fine ) and specify who will have access during that period:

4.1.1 - Course events give access at all the participants.

4.1.2 - Group events give access to only members of the group during the specified period.

4.1.3 - Calendar repeat events are supported.

5 - When someone try to access an activity or a resource not available at the present time, a list of all events pertaining to that activity is presented to permit to check the available dates ( group dependant )

6 - It is possible for one course to enable the activation at the module level:

6.1 - One may choose to enable only the resource module with the regulation system. If so all other modules of the course will work as usual.

6.1.1 - For that create an event with that "reserved word" in it description: EnableModResource.

6.1.2 - That regulation will be applicable only durint the duration of the event:

6.1.3 - Before and after all Moodle resource of that course will be accessible as usual.

6.1.4 -During the
EnableModResource event period, only the resources with an event containing their exact name in the description will be available.

7 - The internal working is not very invasive on Moodle internal, much less that activity linking.
7.1 No impact on course view page.

8- No readme file exist now. If some interest, any help will be greatly appreciated to write it in intelligible english sentences.

Suggestions are welcome.

Have a good test,

Bernard
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bernard Boucher

Re: Conditional activities: Regulates the rights for groups in a course: Testing phase

by Bernard Boucher -
Small hint:

Log as student1
choose course c1
try to access quiz1 and ress1

access should be refuse for group1

Log as student2
choose course c1
you should have access
group2 is not blocked

bye,

Bernard

Regulate the rights for groups in a course: Gantt student activities

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi,
    screenshot of gantt student activities done with JpGraph integrated in Moodle.
Data are extracted from event table.
Color and event dependance ( quiz open, quiz close ) will be added and controlled soon.

gantt1.png

Bye

Bernard

Re: Conditional activities: Regulates the rights for groups in a course: Testing phase

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi,
same screenshot revamped:

Progress reprenent the % of students that have done the activity in that group.
Other numbers represent same report for the course.

Names are linked to the course activity ( if exist )
Bars are linked to calendar events.

Bye,

Bernard

gantt2.png

by Timothy Takemoto -
Thanks very much Bernard.

This looks very high powered.  Since I have not use the calendar yet, and it tends to be a bit buggy in Japanese (and most of the activities that I want to control have Japanese names), you are right, I will not be using this this semester, but it looks very promising and like it could save me a lot of work.

Do you think that this might be implemented in the mainstream, Martin?

That is the other major issue.
Tim
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Timothy,
I am happy to see that the new group aware feature may be usefull to someone else.

For the Japanese language and the calendar, if you have time, it may be interesting that you restore a part of one of your courses in the demo site. If so, without publishing yours questionswink, I will test the regulation mecanism on an other language.

For the implementation in the mainstream, two questions are staying:

1 - The way I choose ( the one with less work for me, the calendar being my user interface, lazy boyshy ) may be questionnable even if it works fine and if it no not invasive in Moodle core.

2 - The graphical representation, ( independant of the regulation ) rise another question about graphical library ( ies ) to be used in Moodle.

Every Moodle know the graphic of user log.

But Zbigniew suggest another one using phplot for Grade distribution
statistics and graphing.

Christian with it GISMO use some java code.

Nadja suggest great applets.

I use another package , jpgraph in php for gantt representation.

Maybe some discussion will be required before all these things implemented in mainstream or Moodle will suffer from "Super Size Me"thoughtful

Have a good semester,

Bernard

by Timothy Takemoto -
Dear Bernard,

I am afraid that I decided not to use your super-calendar due to the problems at upgrade and the novelty (and genuis) of the solution. I felt i needed something more down to earth.

I have obtain a small amount of funding to pay Martin to include automatic enrollment in groups according to enrollment key. The feature should be in version 1.5 apparently. This will mean that I will only need to create one course for each day on which the course is running, and all the classes on a particular weekday will share the same course homepage in seperate groups.

I am guessing/hoping that the group name is included in the gradebook.

Tim
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Timothy,
                 sorry to don't be enough fastsad.

I just posted the .1 beta version without graphic here for testing only.

But it works very well here with my real students.

Bye,

Bernard

by mandy honeyman -
Hi Bernard,

This looks like it really could be the answer, thanks so much.

The way I understand it from a quick play on your test site is that a teacher creates resource (resource has to have reserved word in description) or quiz (these only available at this time) and then in the calendar module the teacher assigns the resource or quiz to groups at different dates.

I'm not sure that I got it to work as intended but it looks like its definately going to help. I look forward to testing live.
cheers
Mandy

In reply to mandy honeyman

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Mandy,
happy to see that the group aware regulation could be the answer to your problem.

If you want to test it more, it is possible for you to restore one of your courses in the demo site.

If you want to test it at home, the regulation part, without the graphical part, is small and easy to install on a test platform.

If you want to test it with some others modules, let me know wich ones and I will add them when time permit.

Have a good regulation,

Bernard

by mandy honeyman -
Hi Bernard,
Testing will have to wait for a couple of weeks - I go on study leave heading towards an exam black eye and will have to put moodle away while concentrating on Java - yuck!

I think the next module (useful for us) would be assignment. Ideally the "upcoming events" trigger which works so well for assignment would/could/might trigger by group within your group reg function as that too is associated with calendar? i.e. so that only the group who actually had assignment deadline upcoming would see the warning?

cheers
Bernard

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Mandy,
              a couple of weeks will be perfect for me too.

To reward your patiencewink, the assignment module will be the next to be added to the group aware modules.

Bye,

Bernard

by mandy honeyman -
kiss
cheers
Mandy

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Mandy,
               your assignmentwink is ready to test here.

Have a good test,

Bernard

by mandy honeyman -
hi Bernard,

Only saw this today (been doing more exams) and now I'm off away from computers until the new year, I promise to test on my return.

Happy Xmas.
cheers
Mandy

by Deon Metelski -
Hi Bernard,

I just came across this posting by a miracle. This is exactly what I was looking for a few months ago. I was wondering if you have the files in CVS or if you could send them to me. I would very much like to test this feature out. big grin (BIG SMILE)

Thank you,
Deon
In reply to Deon Metelski

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Deon,
             I just posted the beta .1 version without graphical part here.

Have a good test,

Bernard