Hotpot (quizport) and nanogong recorder

Hotpot (quizport) and nanogong recorder

by robert maran -
Number of replies: 6

Hi Gordon,

I have been trying embed the nanogong recorder in a hot potatoes exercise. It is possible and it seems to work outside the moodle environment,but when i upload to moodle, the recorder doesn't appear. Do you know if it is possible to upload a hot potatoes exercise that includes this nanogong recorder to moodle? I have taken the liberty of uploading a sample to your website for you to look at.

Cheers

Robert

Average of ratings: -
In reply to robert maran

Re: Hotpot (quizport) and nanogong recorder

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Robert,
what a fascinating idea. What happens to the recording that the nanogong recorder makes? If we could get it transferred back to Moodle as a student response, that would be pretty useful!

As always, when you are embedding media players in HotPot / QuizPort, if you are having problems, then I suggest you change all the URLs connected with the media player to absolute URLs outside of Moodle. That should get it working. Then you can change the URLs one by one to relative URLs and see which ones QuizPort detects and converts to absolute URLs. At some point you will come across a relative URL that Quizport does not detect, and that is where we have to concentrate our attention.

I can't wait to have a look at the sample you uploaded for me.

thanks!
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Robert,
I took a quick look at the file you uploaded.

As you know the nanogong recorder is inserted using the following html:

<applet id="applet" archive="nanogong.jar" code="gong.NanoGong" width="180" height="40"></applet>

At the moment, neither HotPot nor QuizPort knows about the <applet> tags so they won't try to convert the "archive" and "code" attributes from relative urls to absolute urls.

It would be quite possible to modify HotPot and QuizPort to detect this player, but first I wondered if we could make it part of a larger plan to record students responses and send them back to Moodle. The test file that you uploaded to my site, doesn't seem to do that, but do you think it is possible? How do you envisage using this player?

cheers
Gordon

by robert maran -
Hi Gordon,
Thanks for your reply. I would envisage using nanogong recorder in the following way. For example, it could be used with an audio file to check pronunication such as which words are stressed in a sentence. A student would listen to an audio file, be presented with the sentence, and they would either click on the stressed word ( using the add-on "find it) or they would have to fill in some blanked out words and then they could record their own attempt using nanogong, and compare to the original. In this form it would be more of a self-study exercise.

It would be interesting to as you say record students responses and send them back to Moodle, but not being "techie" I wouldn't know if this is feasible. Where would you store such a file? Nanogong works in the HTML editor of modules like forum, journal,(but not assignment) to my knowledge up to 1.9.2. (Maybe other moodlers have been able to make it work in 1.9.3+). Here it can be listened to by either other students and/ or graded by the teacher. For hopot or quizport, I would only see a use for it for students to be able to check their pronunication. Having said that, I suspect other moodlers will probably have some other and better ideas.

Cheers
Robert

P.s. If you download the file I sent you to your desk top and then open it, it will work. (or maybe you did that already?)
In reply to robert maran

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Robert,
yes, I see. I could be used as a tool to allow (motivated) students to check their own pronunciation.

I would like to find out more about nanogong "in the HTML editor of modules like forum, journal". If you happen to have a link to a thread or an example, I would be very grateful.

Along similar lines I am interested in trying to incorporate MASLE into QuizPort at some stage. MASLE is oftware which can compare sound files of spoken language and give an indication of how similar they are. This would also be very useful for checking students pronunciation.

I think it is technically possibly to fix HotPot and QuizPort to recognize the nanogong player. In due course I will investigate properly and report back.

regards
Gordon

by robert maran -
Hi Gordon
You can find out info about nanogong and moodle here:
http://gong.ust.hk/nanogong/moodle.html
http://gong.ust.hk/nanogong/moodle_inst.html

I saw somewhere on the hotpotatoes forum that someone was incorporating nanogong in hot potatoes quizzes- but probably not moodle. Here a some examples of how other people have used it:
http://mark.yates.free.fr/tel/
http://www.victoria.ac.nz/llc/edith_dev/sina/sina.html

Cheers
Robert
In reply to robert maran

by Gordon Bateson -
Thanks a lot for the links Robert.

In due course I am sure I will find time to add this player those that HotPot / QuizPort's can handle.

best regards
Gordon