Course Back-up in 1.9.5 fails

Course Back-up in 1.9.5 fails

by mike sebolt -
Number of replies: 7
I get to the screen where the zip file is named and back-up details are shown.  When I click on continue the process just hangs and eventually goes to a blank screen w/ no back-up file created.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to mike sebolt

Re: Course Back-up in 1.9.5 fails

by Jean-Luc Delghust -
Here's a question and 2 wild guesses:
Did you have the problem in a previous version of Moodle?
- check if the max upload size is sufficient for the backup ZIP to hold the course and the course files. Try to backup the course without course files and if that works, that may be the reason.
- We had a problem on our site with pages not loading until the end. It was sorted when our server admin increased some server settings:
php_admin_value max_execution_time 72000
php_admin_value memory_limit "512M"
php_value upload_max_filesize "512M"
php_value post_max_size "512M"
Your case may be totally unrelated of course, but who knows...
In reply to Jean-Luc Delghust

Re: Course Backup in 1.9.5 fails

by mike sebolt -
Works fine in 1.8.4 and file size is set high enough.  Makes no sense unless there is something about 1.9.5 I'm missing.
In reply to mike sebolt

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Just for reference, MDL-19229 is the bug where this is being analysed.

Mike, as commented there, if you can try the backup again with debug enabled... perhaps that could give us some hint about what's causing problems in your server.

Blank pages are really white and clean, but not too much informative, big grin so running with debug enabled (DEBUG_DEVELOPER) is always recommended to be able to gather some info. Yes

TIA and ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by mike sebolt -
I set the debugging mode but it did not generate an error massage/page. After several minutes of processing I am left with a blank, bluish/grey page (blank)

by Tom Heisey -
I'm having a very similar problem. I started another thread as I had received errors on the page with the zip file selection and item summary, but those must have been a temporary issue.

Backup proceeds as expected up to the page where you select the zip file and get a summary of the items being backed up. When I click continue, I get this useless page:
Moodle_error.gif
Even with diagnostics turned on to Developer, I get no hits, no runs, no errors. As you said, without info, it's hard to know where to go. This blank page loads with no noticeable delay and appears when I try to back up any course, even 1 page test courses.

I took over the server from a retiring professor, so I don't know when backups started failing or if any changes to Moodle or Windows caused the change. Here is our setup:
  • Windows 2003 Server
  • Moodle 1.9
  • MySQL 5.0.27
  • PhP 5.2.0
In contrast to the MDL-19229, I'm not seeing anything unusual on the server - It continues to serve other pages and functions normally as far as I can tell.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tom Heisey
Electrical and Computer Engineering
Texas Tech University
In reply to Tom Heisey

by Dalal Ahmad -

I was able to backup and restore from version 1.90 to 1.94, but it's not giving me all of the user's data, such as their uploaded assignments.  I am also having problems with the grades import.  Does anyone know all the correcr field names for 1.94?

Thanks

by JD Hall -
The fix described in the comments of the Bug (MDL-1922) worked for me.
It sounds like future releases will include this modification.
Thanks to all!

[Server 2003, IIS, PHP5]