What would Angel users really like to see in Moodle?

What would Angel users really like to see in Moodle?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 13
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I'd be interested to know what sort of features Angel users would like to see Moodle.

So, for example, if you are looking at migrating from Angel to Moodle, what are the must-have features or aspects you had in Angel that seem to be missing from Moodle?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: What would Angel users really like to see in Moodle?

by Eric Remy -
Here's the short answer for us at this instant; full Common Cartridge support. Right now I'm not sure we can move a lot of our content over, but Angel has done a lot of work to get CC up and running in their latest versions.

We'll probably be running a test instance with a few profs over the next semester (depending on exactly what happens at the Angel users conference, going on right now) and I'll send whatever feedback we get to you. I'm most interested in the gradebook changes since we probably get more gradebook questions than anything, and faculty have an amazing variety of ways to grade. Angel is *very* flexible here, at the cost of being rather complex.
In reply to Eric Remy

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Eric,

about the IMS-CC thing be noted that there are already some ongoing efforts being documented (early stages) right now at Development:IMS common cartridge. Thanks to UVCMS (Moodle Partner), btw. cool

Hopefully we'll end with Moodle 1.9.x being able to import IMS-CC packages and Moodle 2.0.x supporting both import and export (knowing that IMS-CC is a reduced set of the Moodle "native" posibilities/activities/resources, of course).

Ciao smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Martin - I have been speaking with a couple Jesuit universities and one of them makes use of Angel. In response here is a list of what they highlighted as features they like about Angel or would expect from Moodle. I have put in brackets how I think Moodle might address these.

1. Integration with PeopleSoft to create courses (not the content) and automatically add the students. The ability for faculty to copy their courses. [May require customization. Moodle allows for importing users and course enrollments via CSV files]

2. Offering the ability to enter departmental learning goals and course objectives and then map them to the course assignments / student learning artifacts to demonstrate curricular coherence as well as compliance with departmental requirements, and professional certification. [Moodle outcomes]

3. Electronic portfolios where students can add their artifacts, (documents, multimedia, images, diagrams, e.t.c.) to demonstrate competence (e.g. ABET compliance, teacher credentialing, etc.) extracurricular projects, reflections, work experience, resumes. Students should be able to have different versions of their portfolio, such as a learning, assessment, and professional portfolios. [Moodle and Mahara via MNet]

4. Social learning and networking tools such as blogs (opportunities for blog journaling, or analytical reviews), wikis, discussion forums, collaborative learning spaces, such as google docs. Opportunities for synchronous communications, ala Web CT. [Moodle has functionality for forums, wikis, blogs, whiteboarding with DimDim or elluminate, and Moodle 2.0 file API work for working with GoogleDocs and other respositories]

5. Electronic gradebooks that are flexible and will allow faculty to export them to Excel.[Gradebook 1.9 allows export to Excel (or OpenOffice)]

6. Rigorous assessment tools for online assessment offering question banks, student tracking, and secure web interface. Excellent data analysis of student responses for each question, for class performance and individual student performance.[Moodle has a question bank, quiz and lesson modules, choice and feedback modules, and of course Petr for security]

7. Electronic drop boxes, web spaces for student hypertexts, RSS feeds, multimedia lesson content. [Multimedia filter, RSS feed, and assignment modules provides this type of functionality]

8. iTunesU integration [CONTRIB block for iTunesU integration]

9. Exportability of courses both by faculty, and exportability of student work by students [Moodle backup works fine for the faculty; however, we are missing the ability to allow a student to backup his or her work. In part Mahara may help with this but this would be a new feature request]

10. Institutional ability to search student artifacts as evidence for accreditation [I am not 100% clear what this means but Moodle roles allows for customizing who can see and search for what - combined with outcomes I think this should not be too much of an issue]

11. Good query and report building utilities, from Institutional to faculty, to students. [GSOC proposal if I recall but not one that was chosen. Moodle has many types of reports and access to the data is readily available; however, some custom reports may need to be created]

12. Excellent ability to collect metacontent, ability to add keywords, tagging, etc.[Moodle has the ability to tag information - I think this was being improved at one point but I do not know the current status of this]

13. Scalability to keep up with new technologies. [I see the scalability of Moodle adopting to or being adapted to new technologies all the time in CONTRIB]

Some of us have been kiddingly discussing the integration, as some other universities have, of Drupal and Moodle as a possible replacement for Angel should that happen. This interesting article adds one more tool, Elgg and offers a nice visual representation of what it would look like.

http://www.funnymonkey.com/together-at-last

Peace - Anthony

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Martín Langhoff -

This interesting article adds one more tool, Elgg and offers a nice visual representation of what it would look like.

Elgg being, of course, one of the primary motivators of the Mahara team (after an initial 6 months working on the Elgg codebase).

Is current Elgg doing anything that Mahara doesn't?

by Eric Remy -
1. Integration with PeopleSoft to create courses (not the content) and automatically add the students. The ability for faculty to copy their courses. [May require customization. Moodle allows for importing users and course enrollments via CSV files]

Is there a list of schools using Peoplesoft and Moodle anywhere? Right now we have some (fairly ugly legacy) homegrown software that does the autopopulate/course creation/enrollment from Peoplesoft->Angel for us and I'd be interested in talking to schools who've done this within Moodle
In reply to Eric Remy

by Kathy Cannon -
We have PeopleSoft for our student information system here at Brandeis University. I wish I could easily describe just how the three streams of user, course, and enrollment data flow from their sources into our Moodle instance.

Let me know what kinds of questions you have and I'll see what I can find out for you. There is a data mart in the middle and there's surely some semi-automated middleware apps involved in the process, unless it is all being done with lights, smoke, and mirrors.

- Kathy C,
Project Leader, Administrative & Academic Systems, Library & Technology Services, Brandeis University - kathyc@brandeis.edu
In reply to Eric Remy

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Eric,

most organisations using Peoplesoft have a range of requirements around systems that require enrolment information and export it into a central system - eg LDAP/csv/database view using a custom script.

It also really depends on what version of Peoplesoft you are using to define the best method of obtaining the information. Newer versions of Peoplesoft make this much easier!
In reply to Eric Remy

by Michael Feldstein -
Moodlerooms has supported integration with Peoplesoft via the LIS standard: http://moodlerooms.com/resource-center/newsroom/news__node/54/
In reply to Michael Feldstein

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I know of several universities that make use of SCT Banner and I believe that RemoteLearner supports integration with Banner. The question of integration with student information systems is a significant one. Peace - Anthony

by Matthew Putz -
"Offering the ability to enter departmental learning goals and course objectives and then map them to the course assignments / student learning artifacts to demonstrate curricular coherence as well as compliance with departmental requirements, and professional certification. [Moodle outcomes]"

Question I can't find an answer to anywhere else (as of yet) - is it possible to aggregate the results of Moodle Outcomes across the entire site? So that if I wanted to find out how students across an entire program (for instance) were performing on Outcome #3, over a three-year period, I could just run that report? Or are we limited to individual course reports?

Matt

by Jason Cole -
One of the common requests we get is for a migration utility. The switching costs are part of what keeps folks on their current systems.

If we can build an automated converter to take Angel backups and port them to Moodle, its a much easier sell.

by Jonathan Moore -
Martin I had a chance to see a sales pitch for Angel recently and I couple of things stood out as really interesting.

1) Forum grading automation
Angel supports a set of automated grading criteria that can be applied using boolean logic. You can do things like require each student to post 3 times, and get a certain peer rating, and get a certain teacher rating. These can be used in conjunction with manual grading by the teacher of the actual posted content. This also appears to integrate seamlessly with the filtering system. You can also filter forum posts for just a particular forum and grade from the resulting set of posts. You can also mass grade based on these filter sets.

2) Object Repository and User/Group Access Controls
All activities and resources are automatically added to the learning object repository. This is much more than Moodle repository integrations with things like Alfresco that currently only store file/resource objects.

The repository has a very consistent and powerful access system. The main difference with Moodle is that this is that not only can access permissions be set per user, but they can also be set for groups, and any setting for a learning object can be overidden as part of this system.

In its demo Angel highlights how this can be used for accessibility purposes, where a group of visually impaired may be required to be given 2x the time on an assessment as part of University regulations. In Moodle this is very difficult to implement, requiring you to maintain multiple assessments and setup special agregration categories in the grade book. Even once you do this it has been pointed out to me that all students see the grade book entry for the assessment activity for the special needs students.

So basically, site wide groups, and being able to overide all settings of any activity for a user or group.

Additionally teachers can set thier own permissions for objects they create as to who can see them or not see them. Seems to be a pretty powerful capability to sharing learning objects.

3) Rubric integration
They also have a nice rubric integration that (maybe a hack) but that is easy to paste in rubrics via macros into the grade responses to students.
In reply to Jonathan Moore

by Matt Gibson -
+1 for the automated forum grading. I posted about something very similar a while ago (forgotten where) and someone said that it would be possible using completion tracking in 2.0. I'm not sure exactly how possible, but that sort of thing ought to be there across the system for all tasks e.g. submit a 300 word assignment, post 2 messages in the chat, take the quiz twice and get x score.