Excluding practice quizzes from gradebook

Excluding practice quizzes from gradebook

by Ali Hastie -
Number of replies: 4

Hi

We currently have practice quizzes and official quiz tests within our courses and wish to exclude only the practice quizzes from the gradebook completely. We would still need to keep the students responses such as their scores etc after they have attempted the practice quizzes.

Sorry if i have missed anything, I am not usually involved with the gradebook.

Many thanks

Ali 

In reply to Ali Hastie

Re: Excluding practice quizzes from gradebook

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Ali,
I would probably create 2 categories in the gradebook: one for graded stuff, another for the rest. Then, use Weighted mean for the aggregation of the Course Total, and make "the rest" column to have 0 weight.
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Rob Monk -
Elena's solution works. The other option is hide them and zero weight them in the gradebook. Then the student never sees them and they don't effect the student's grade.
In reply to Rob Monk

by Marcus Hoberg -

That´s what we introduced recently. And: beside of computing only relevant quizzes ("final quizzes"), you can make the unrelevant quizzes ("self-evaluations") invisible in the gradebook. That´s what our students asked for in order to gain better overview on their individual test results.

In reply to Ali Hastie

by Bob Walberg -

My reply may be too late, but I thought I would take the chance anyway.  I have the same situation (in the "Grades" section).  My solution is to exclude the practice quizzes from the course total calculation.  To allow students to see their practice scores, I use the "Edit Categories and Items" (also in the "Grades" section) to sort the graded items from the ungraded items (graded items on top).  To further distinguish the graded items from the ungraded, I include the percentage contribution of each item to the total in the title (e.g., Assignment 1 (10%)).  This is done in the "Edit this Assignment" area.  When students view their grades, they know their grade is based on only those items that have a percentage contribution amount in the title.