A standard naming scheme for Moodle hashtags

A standard naming scheme for Moodle hashtags

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 19
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I've been thinking for a while that we need to standardise on tags for Moodle event.

For example the recent Moodlemoot in the UK used #mmuk09 ... and thus you can easily find related messages on Twitter, photos on Flickr and so on.

The only problem is that this tag was not consistent with any other moots. A consistent scheme would make it easier to remember and guess these tags in future, so I'm looking for some feedback/improvement on this simple scheme:

For conferences, use mootCCYY where CC is a country or state, and YY is a year. My reasoning is that "moodle" is a bit long here (remember people are typing on phones etc), and a Moot is not necessarily just about Moodle. The two letter code would usually be a country, but for somewhere like the US where there are different moots they could choose to use "us" or a state like "sf" or "ok". It really wouldn't even matter if two moots both used mootus09, because they would be seperated in time.

For general moodle stuff, use moodle. Obviously. smile If you have room use both: #moodle #mootau10

Does this make sense?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: A standard naming scheme for Moodle hashtags

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Definitively, yes IMO. Yes

And having some sort of block in the main page, showing live tweets related to #mootCCYY / #moodle tags... could be great too.

BTW... enabling microblogging from Moodle blogs to Twitter (user preference... reducing POST size to the 140cc/specifying user l/p with custom filelds...) could be also interesting IMO.

Indeed, perhaps, also the functionality of messaging (to a "Twitter" virtual user on each Moodle server).

Wow! There are a bunch of possible integrations! cool

by Nitin Parmar -
Great idea! #mmuk09 worked really at MoodleMoot UK a couple of weeks ago, but I'd be happy to go for #moot etc. in the future smile

But, for example, for MoodleMoot's in Spain, would the tag for #mootesYY (es for Espana) or #mootspYY (sp for Spain)?

That is, do we go for the country name (or state) in English, or in the local language?

Nitin
In reply to Nitin Parmar

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Definitely the ISO code for the country ... "es" in your example.

by Nitin Parmar -
Ok. Sounds good. Thanks for clarifying smile

by Patrick Malley -
I prefer the format used during the UK Moodle Moot (#mmuk09) only because it uses fewer characters, but generally agree that any standardization is a good idea.
In reply to Patrick Malley

by Martin Dougiamas -
My problem with mmuk09 (for example) was that it was nonsensical to outsiders and possibly open to conflicts with other "mm" organisations. I'd suggest that "moot" has a chance of making those tags a bit more unique and human-readable.

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
If we use #mootCCYY we will have problems in 2100 ... the 2100 effect wink
Great idea!

by Paul Vaughan -
#mootuk09 (for example) makes a lot of sense, but can I suggest for clarity's sake and at the expense of another character, #mdlmtCCYY ?? I think this would have the least chance of clashing with any other company / location / year combinations and it's still pretty short.

smile

by Kathy Cannon -
Don't we have multiple MoodleMoots in the US? Is San Fran the only one to consider for this scheme, or do we want to make room for Oklahoma, New Delhi, NY and others?

Looks like MoodleMoot Oklahoma has already planned to use #OKmoot09
http://moodle.metrotech.org/

Also, notably, moot is more commonly used than moodle? So moodle would be more unique, but again, more letters.

So perhaps #moomooCCYY? Hee hee. tongueout

I'd vote for #moodleCCYY for most cases and #moodleCCxxYY when needed, where xx is for city or state names when countries have multiple moots. It seems like we could use CC for city names instead of country names for a largeUS moot like San Francisco.
#moodleSF09, as long as we know that it does not conflict with an existing ISO name for a country.

In reply to Kathy Cannon

by Matt Campbell -
I've added #mootok09 to our feeds and will be displaying that, along with #OKmoot09, so for right now we can display either way. I've changed our instructions on the site to use the standard Martin has suggested.

The only real problem I'm having is that older feeds show above newer feeds - and even after deleting the old feed and adding it back, the old feed is still above the new one.

I think that we can phase out our old tag and start using the new one - there is still plenty of time until the moot and as more people use #mootok09, the sooner I can just drop the old tag.

Thanks,
Matt
In reply to Kathy Cannon

by Minh-Tam Nguyen -
I think #moodleCCYY wuld work well, especially as it would be possible to also use it for other Moodle large themed conferences.

by Martin Dougiamas -
I made a page for this here: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Standard_Moodle_tags
Average of ratings: Cool (1)

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Shall we add the hashtags to the docs-page?

#mootDE09 Moodlemoot Germany 2009 in Elmshorn 18. September 2009
#mootDE10berlin Moodlemoot Germany 2010 in Berlin March
#mootDE10essen Moodlemoot Germany 2010 in Essen September

and what about Moodle activities on other conferences
#moodleOEB09 ? Moodle at Online Educa 2009 in Berlin (December)
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Martin Dougiamas -
Good idea to add them:

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Standard_Moodle_tags#Tags_in_use

Don't know about adding the city name... is it really useful given the time difference? Are people going to be tagging stuff in September about the March conference?

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Yes, I think they do it. We are using it also for viral marketing more and more.

And some of the conference have a more regional character.
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Stephan Rinke -
Hi Martin and Ralf,

I agree that including the city would be useful for the reason that Ralf mentioned. However, since I frequently run out of characters when tweeting I would suggest that the city be shortened. In the case of Germany that's easy since our car license plates include a city code. #mootDE10berlin would become #mootDE10b and #mootDE10essen #mootDE10e . A shame that Elmshorn has PI for Pinneberg sad so perhaps this needs a different abbreviation (#mootDE09elms ? )

What do you think?

Greetings to Perth and Bonn,

Stephan

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Hi Martin

is this a typo?

#moodle #OE09 Moodle at Online Educa 2009 in Berlin (December)

My suggestion was #moodleOEB09.