Non-techie to Administrator?

Non-techie to Administrator?

by Deborah Delin -
Number of replies: 17

I hope this question isn't too laughable and I hope I am posting it in the right place!

I am writing a private home learning course to teach English to Israeli and Arab children living in Israel.  I plan to use Hot Potatoes to build the material, together with some converted Powerpoint presentations.  The project has good potential in Israel but I have very little money to invest into it. 

I will obviously be starting small in terms of the number of students I have, but the course material will be quite extensive (1-2,000 worksheets) as it will eventually be from nursery to school leaving age.

Here is my question.  Could a non-tecnical, but extremely motivated person, such as myself, set up and administer Moodle on their own?  There are no partners here in Israel, (although there are several registered courses) so I have no-one to turn to for technical help.  I am prepared to put time in learning but have to admit that the technical stuff I have read on the website so far has my head reeling.  My coding experience is limited to tweaking the odd bit of HTML but no more than that. But I am prepared to put time in learning.  I would love to have your opinions on whether this is a feasible undertaking, using tutorials and Moodle documentation (and recommendations would be gratefully appreciated), or whether it is totally unrealistic? 

Thanking you in advance for your feedback on this very important question for me.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Deborah Delin

Re: Non-techie to Administrator?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Short answer: Yes. If you have the motivation to put some time in learning and are happy to ask on these forums yes. I am a languages teacher by qualification; no ICT training but I am aMoodle admin and am learning more every day. As for " I have no one to turn to for technical help " - that is what these forums are forsmile
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Deborah Delin -
Really?  That's great news!  Bit daunting though!  Mary, did you do it all on your own with just forums and documentation for help?  Anyway, thank you for your reply.  It made my day..........I think.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I got a hosting company to set me up a Moodle to practise on as I knew our school was going to be using one. I read the forums and documentation here and basically just played around. I'm no expert and certainly not technical but with commitment on your part and willingness to ask for help you should be able to administrate your own moodle.

by Marc Grober -
Deborah,

I am not a Moodle evangelista, so I would suggest that while you could manage Moodle you would want to have some help available as far as issues external to the Moodle interface (anything from installing modules to configuration.) I would look at a low cost ISP to get your feet wet (I have used DH but there are lots.) I like DH because though they have their problems they also have a one-click install that is top notch and will get you up and running immediately. Once you want to look at a 5 nines production system, that is another matter altogether, especially considering the numbers you want to serve.

You might want to look at the docs on Finding and Selecting a Web Host.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If you do decide to set up your own Moodle, then I would recommend the recently published book Moodle Administration by Alex Büchner.

Or even if you just want to find out what is involved in running a Moodle.

by Richard Standen -
There is no reason at all why you can't achieve what you need.

As others have said - buy in to some form of hosted Moodle, or even free Moodle. We have free Moodle available at www.coursemerchant.com.

Don't get into coding. Learn to use one of the excellent content development tools - but learn to use it well. Learn to use something like Hot Potatoes too - great for interactivities. Here's some tools:

1. Course Lab - http://www.courselab.com/ (free)
2. ExE - http://exelearning.org/ (free)
3. Hot Potatoes - http://www.halfbakedsoftware.com/ (free for certain types of users - check licence)

Less is more. Good quality (short) content with interactivities where possible. Engage your learners. Online learning is (too) often a sole occupation. Working alone can be boring, which leads to demotivation and drop off...

Try to schedule online seminars, workshops etc where you can encourage live audio or text discussion. Maybe plan a monthly timetable for this. Have a few well managed online forums. By managed, I mean get in there and post, prompt, reply, stimulate, encourage, direct... there is nothing more demotivating for an online learner than making a post to a forum and seeing nothing result. I bet when you made your post, you kept logging in every half hour to see if you'd had a response? Bet your heart gave a little skip when you saw a reply? Well, that's addictive!

When you're ready, give us a shout and we can help you start to sell your online courses!

Good luck!

Richard
www.coursemerchant.com
In reply to Richard Standen

by Deborah Delin -

Thanks to all of your for your input.

So the general recommendation is to get a host company to set me up and then get stuck in learning the admin? Does the hosting company need to be in the same country?

Marc, who is DH and why would 5 nines production be another story altogether? 

Richard, thanks for the advice.  How is Free Moodle via CourseMerchant different to just downloading Moodle which is free anyway?

So you all think that I SHOULDN'T even think about trying to install and set up myself?

I think I'm getting more confused................help!

by Mary Cooch -

I would agree -get a good hosting company to set you up Moodle.  Then you can concentrate on the actual admin of it. If you were to set it up yourself you would still need to pay a hosting company for the webspace -unless you had your own server and that would be taking you into a whole new world. You can have a company in a different country from where you are based.

So the general recommendation is to get a host company to set me up and then get stuck in learning the admin?

Yes

Does the hosting company need to be in the same country?

No, although I do think it is an advantage if they are.

How is Free Moodle via CourseMerchant different to just downloading Moodle which is free anyway?

If you download Moodle and want your students to access it from home you are still going to have to get it onto the internet. Presumably Coiurse Merchant will do this for you, as will other free Moodle hosting services. The payback is you don't get all the functionality of a paid for Moodle, and in some instances you might get unwanted advertising but if you want to practise or just have a small scale start to begin with it might suit your purposes.

who is DH and why would 5 nines production be another story altogether? 

DH I presume is DreamHosts one of many companies offering Moodle. 5 nines means your Moodle is online 99.999% of the time (or something involving 5 nines anyway smile ) That means money to ensure its reliability.

by Marc Grober -
DH is Dreamhost. 5 nines means that your server is up and running 99.999% of the time, which is important if you have thousands of real time students and you can't afford to have service interruptions. I would suggest that using, for example, a shared DH account for a Moodle supporting thousands of realtime students would be just irresponsible, but using it for a couple of dozen concurrent students where downtime every now and then is not critical is a great way to get your feet wet, especially as to creating multiple Moodle and copying contentsd back and forth, cloning Moodles, etc. There are also quite a few Moodlers who have used DH and can offer suggestions on everything from tools like tunnelier to configuration of gmail....

I am not telling you NOT to try and roll your own from bare metal.... just that based on your description of your background this will be time consuming and hugely frustrating. As I said, read the moodle doc on FInding a Web Host which will give you some ideas on what rollling your own means. I mentioned DH because panel installs are notorious for being problematic, but DH's one-clicks have been excellent and provide for upgrade as well, though a caveat is in order in that if you start fiddling away on hacking or adding modules to Moodle, upgrades can be tricky no matter how you are doing them.....

Once you hav e your feet wet with one-clicks you can easily transition to a CVS install and upgrade. I guess my point is that you are facing 4 major learning curves: Moodle usage, Moodle administration, system administration and curriculum design and construction. DO you want to engage on four fronts at once?

Re: Richard's suggestions.... (and this underlines my concerns) ExE and hotpotatoes for example are "free" work station based clients for developing curriculum (though the Moodle tools will work well also). Moodle might be "free" software, but you have to install it somewhere, and Richard was suggesting a place where the hosting is "free", While Moodle is open, there is quite a diff between the concept of free hosting and the concept of open software.... remember the law of tanstaafl.

Actually based on what you are describing I would look at developing a lesson template (eXe might be a good idea if you want more granluar control of multimedia) that you can manipulate and then look at broader manipulation of files outside the gui (e.g. via xml) For language a consideration of SMIL usage so that you can easily integrate multimedia into your lessons might be advisable. You also of course may want to look at ways to make changing keyboards easy (for example if you plan on using windows via the language bar) so that students can respond in ivrit using hebrew characters and vice-versa.....

If you have some cash, the Adobe e-leaarning suite at I think $300 US for education purchasers is an incredible buy.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I haven't followed the discussion. Just my random input:

> So the general recommendation is to get a host company to set me up and then get stuck in learning the admin?

You have quite a few roles to play:
- creator/author of the course
- administrator
* of users (enrollment, etc)
* of the site (hosting, Moodle admin, backups, ...)
- teacher of the course

Commiting on all three fronts need a lot of motivation and corresponding capacity.

How about phasing that out?
1. create/author the course.
2. run a first iteration with a small number of pupils
3. launch it officially

Phase 1, you can do even in your own desktop computer or you can ask some soul here for free space.

Phase 2. Even this can be arranged free

Phase 3. Here you need the "hoster".

That would a smoother transition from being a Non-techie to wherever you want to go, IMHO.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Deborah Delin -
Wow, thank you Marc for that incredibly detailed answer,  I have read it three times and think I will have to go back to it quite a few times more before it all sits clear.  Thank you Visvanath too,  you seem to reinforce what Marc says so I'm getting the picture that, indeed, to take on all the hats may be over-ambitious.  Thanks a lot again.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Harry Sweet -
I've set up and run my own Moodle (amoodle.org) for the past couple of years on a free host (110mb.com) total cost <$50 for database and a couple of one time service upgrades.

If you want to do this, it can be done., just not overnight. If you want to see what is involved you can set up a Moodle on your computer. You'll not spend any money, and you will know soon enough if you are over you head or can go looking for a site to host. At least that is what I did to get familiar with the sytem. Now it runs happily an ocean away.

good luck
In reply to Harry Sweet

by Deborah Delin -

Yes I am tempted to give it a go.  As you say, Harry, I can always revert to plan B if I find I am over my head.  Did you have a technical background when you started?  When you say it now runs happily an ocean away do you mean with the free host?  Thanks for the encouragement.

by Harry Sweet -
I have some experience as a network admin and setting up various flavors of linux servers, so Moodle was just one more thing to figure out.

If everything is new to you you can still get there if you find this stuff interesting, just don't plan on learning everything in a week. Look up XAMMP for you platform. Get that to run, make a database, and add Moodle.

My server is (I think) in the Netherlands. I am in the United States. It works so far.

good luck

by Jai Gupta -
Hi Deborah,

I am running a non-profit project Key To School which aims to help educators like you. If you use our free service you will be able to concentrate on learning Moodle. Give it a try.
In reply to Jai Gupta

by Deborah Delin -

Goodness Jai, am I dreaming? Thank you so much!

by Jai Gupta -
I see you have created your Moodle site. I hope you will enjoy your stay with us.

Happy learning.