Using Moodle in an elementary classroom.

Using Moodle in an elementary classroom.

by Devin Hume -
Number of replies: 12
Hello I am using this Moodle account for a school project. I am trying to research the positive and negative of the use of Moodle in a lower elementary classroom. If you have any opinion about the use of Moodle in the elementary classroom please let me know.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Devin Hume

Re: Using Moodle in an elementary classroom.

by Paula Clough -

Devin,

How young of elementary students?

Paula Clough cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Paula Clough -

Devin,

The nice thing about Moodle is that it can be exactly what you  as a teacher want it to be. It can be as simple as websites and online text assignments to entire units of study incorportating webtools like wiki, chat, forums, etc.

For very young students in a computer lab or a classroom with computers used as a station during center time, there could be links to websites set up for the students to use.  The teacher could have links to websites that would be used through out the year but have all but the current ones hidden.  This would save time for the teacher having to set up which sites they want the students in that day... they set up just the Moocle course and it works for all the computers for that teacher's class. (there is a sample in the Moodle exchange)

My experience with elementary age children is that we don't usually give them enough credit. They love technology and they will put the effort into trying to figure it out and make it work... the teacher has the hardest time figuring out what they will do with it. Older students (and siblings) can be very helpful to younger students and teachers.

Teachers of a grade level could get together and work on courses which could be used like units of study for various subject areas... such as a series of science courses that would have the info, internet sites and activites that the students can use... the various units in the series can be created by different teachers in the group and then shared.  Providing more product for the time each teacher spends.  At the same time each teacher could modify the units to the specific interests and level of technology expertise of their own students.  Powerpoints, SmartBoard lessons and other resources can be stored in the Moodle course so that the teachers don't have storage or organization problems when they need them this year and years to come. 

If you have older students doing a unit of study that is retaught with different levels of understanding across grade levels, your older students may make a database with results of their research that can then be shared with younger students to use as a resource in their class... example  older students form a database of animals that lif in different biomes and the characteristics that make them more adaptible to their environment.  They will probably write in language easier to understand for younger students than some of the internet resources.  That database can be used for the younger students to find out about different kinds of animals and compare and contrast how they live... example... barn owl and snowy owl or red fox and artic fox. 

Glossary entries can be add by students (assigned or otherwise) that show the depth of their understanding of the vocabulary in any subject area.

The possibilities are endless... the biggest downside for my teachers... is time... but my advice is just get started... start with one or two things and then go from there. Once you start and you and your students become familiar with what is there and how to use it, you will find more and more that you want to do.

Paula Clough cool

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Devin Hume

by Dan McGuire -
I have some observations of my experiences recorded here under the link, Classroom Benefits in the 'course' Moodle for Elementary Math, Science and Writing which was the bones of a presentation that I made at the TIES 2008 Educational Conference in Dec. '08.

In short, Moodle is the best thing since the invention of the pencil for teaching writing to any age.
In reply to Dan McGuire

by Paula Clough -

Dan,

Agreed... "best thing since the invention of the pencil for teaching writing to any age." and so many other things.... Loved the resources... thanks for sharing.

Paula Clough cool

In reply to Dan McGuire

Broken link to Using Moodle in an elementary classroom.

by Erin Gibbs -

Hi Dan,

I tried the link in this old post of yours (12 March 2009) but it is broken. I would love to have a look. I am working on an MEd and have to come up with a Project proposal. I would like to formulate a topic that would look at some issues in using Moodle with elementary school aged children.

Erin

In reply to Devin Hume

by Devin Hume -
I am looking at using Moodle in the second, third, and forth, grade. So if you have any advise please let me know.
In reply to Devin Hume

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
What age is second/third/fourth grade elementary please? I'm from the UK so the system is different.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Paula Clough -

Mary,

2nd grade is 7-8, third 8-9, fourth 9-10

Paula Clough B-0

In reply to Paula Clough

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Ah right Paula- thanks - I've just written a book on Moodle for teaching 7-14 year olds so I reckon those grades would fit into there. And I completely agree with all your suggestions -excellent post smile
In reply to Devin Hume

by Dan McGuire -
The online text assignment activity has been the thing that has been the most successful for my 3rd and 4th graders (Last year I had a multi-age 3rd/4th grade room, this year just 4th.)

I have the students respond to various writing prompts from stories we've read and also have a standard weekly assignment of using a list of spelling words for the week in sentences, either individually or as a part of a story that they write, their choice.

I've also used forum, wikis and recently the workshop. This week we're using a wiki to post poems and comments on them. I recommend using the online text assignment for at least a month or so until everyone is comfortable with the mechanics of the system - the kids will hopefully be patient as you catch on. smile

Which reminds me, the full text editor in the online text assignment does not work, at least very well, with Safari; use Firefox. It is also useful to show students how to cut and paste from word processors into the Moodle text- that depends more on individual student's skill level.

Jump in.
In reply to Devin Hume

by John Andrewartha -
What activities did you have in mind to do on Moodle?
Digital citizenship, introduction to network learning or real learning units?
I assume ages 7 to 10 years, now many?

I use Moodle for Kids with cognitive issues so VoIP and games, whiteboarding are a major part.
Assisted reading. Story telling.
I am in AU and like Mary our systems are different.
I love playing with Lego.

John
In reply to Devin Hume

by Nathan Hutchings -
Hi Devin
I have used Moodle for year 4 students and they loved it. The main problem you will have is them forgetting their passwords so here is what to do. Get them to make a Moodle Passport sort of like a real passport. When students have shown you they can do a few things like click on links, say hi in a chat and answer a short quiz give them the Moodle Visa Stamp. Put the Passports somewhere safe so they can write their password in it and not forget it, write your email address in their student diaries if they want to use moodle from home and can't remember their passwords they can email you. This should get the kids ready for Moodle. Another tip is to have a Moodle Mini Admin and give a student the permissions to update a label on their Class home moodle page. Good luck

Cheers
Nathan