Displaying one item at a time in Quiz

Displaying one item at a time in Quiz

by Remigio Taga -
Number of replies: 18
Please guide me on how to make my quiz display one item at a time and the students can no longer get back to the previous items. Thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Remigio Taga

Re: Displaying one item at a time in Quiz

by Jon Streeter -

I too am interested in this feature,

In my specific case, i want to prepare students for a standardized test by having a large bank of old test questions from prior years.  I would like for them to be able to take questions one at a time, and immediately after one question is answered it states whether the answer is correct - and if not displays the feedback as to why that choice was incorrect and allows them to choose another choice. once the correct choice is made it procedes to the next question. 

This turns a bank of questions into a learning activity in and of itself. It may be that this is a structure that would lend it's self to a completely new type of module - something like "practice exercise" or "self-instructing quiz". This module could draw from the same question banks that are used for the current quiz module.

I don't believe this functionality currently exists. Would anyone else find such a module useful?

In reply to Jon Streeter

by Timothy Takemoto -
Dear Beaux Phus
Have you looked at the lesson module or SCORM module? You may find that the functionality exists already.
Tim
In reply to Remigio Taga

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I have some submitted code for this that will be in 1.5.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Will this only allow one question at a time (sad) or any number of questions per page(big grin)?
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by Timothy Takemoto -

Thanks very much Martin. 

I think that one question at a time is a great, long awaited quiz feature, that deserves a fanfare.

It is true that settable number of questions per page would be better. It would be better still if Moodle could morph into Lara Croft climb out of the screen and tutor my students will a bull whip.

Is there any one particular file that I might download and add to a 1.4 installation or should I wait for 1.5?

Tim

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It actually allows a settable number of questions per page. Basically there is a a new quiz option for "number of questions per page" which, if not set, just shows everything like now.

Nice fanfare, Tim  big grin   I need to have that on a portable player of some kind that I can play whenever I enter a room.   smile

Re: Item at a time in Quiz and Language Teaching

by Josep M. Fontana -
Two questions. First, is this something that has been already implemented in Moodle 1.4 (sorry, I haven't upgraded yet, going crazy with some other things).

The second question, if this is something that hasn't been implemented yet, is whether this new feature will make it  more difficult to use the quiz module to create reading/listening comprehension exercises. I'm saying this because I'm not sure how this new feature would affect one of the main uses I have for this particular module. The ideal structure of a reading/listening comprehension exercise/activity would the following:

. A text (or play button) is presented on a screen.
      . After the student has read or listened to the text, s/he clicks a button to get to the next screen where a question about the text is presented. The answer to this question can be one of different modalities: true/false, multiple choice, etc.
      . Once this question is answered, the student clicks on a button to get to the next screen and the next question is presented. And so on until all the questions about the given text are exausted. Activity is finished.

Could something like that be possible in the new improved quiz module?

Josep M.

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Has the development started yet? Is it still possible to change the way it will work? Instead of having a "number of questions per page" variable I'd like to propose the ability to insert page breaks into the quiz (see screenshot). This will be more flexible in that it will allow to have a quiz where each page has a different number of questions.
Attachment quiz_page_breaks.gif

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Sorry, of course it should be possible to delete a page break, so the page break should only span 3 columns and the last column (Edit) should have the x icon.

by Martin Dougiamas -
It's a nice interface idea, but this is obviously completely incompatible with question shuffling. We'd have to disable one or other.

by colin melville -
..unless they were shuffled within pages. ie shuffling within questions, within pages or within entire tests would be the options.

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
I (vaguely) remember suggesting an interface for this some time ago, but can't find that thread via search (I also tried my activity report, but again, no success, I can't get to see my own posts in the Quiz Module forum).

Anyway, could you let us know how this will be implemented?

On the eve of a new era, the history of one item at a time in Quiz

by Timothy Takemoto -

Here is a thread where Przemyslaw made some similar suggestions
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=508
This is perhaps the first (?) request of this type
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=375
Marcus Green built his own
http://www.jchq.net/phezam/login.php
This thread
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=3962
is about the same topic and includes Przemyslaw's
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=3962&parent=17801
an my suggestion of the addition of page-breaks ("dummy questions"?).
Tim

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Martin, did you mean you have submitted code that would allow 1 question per page? I had a poke around the 1.5 code but couldn't see anything that appeared to cover this.

Marcus

In reply to Marcus Green

by Alvin Shaffer -
I also looked and didn't see where this could be selected. Any help Martin?

by Alvin Shaffer -

Martin,

did this code make it into the distribution yet?

In reply to Alvin Shaffer

by Josep M. Fontana -
I have a different type of question about this "item at a time in Quiz". It is the following: once it is implemented, will there be an easy way to reconvert quizzes already introduced into Moodle to the new item at a time format?

I'm saying this because I have lots of quizzes to introduce (which I would like to
be shown as one question per page) and I don't know whether it would be better to wait for the new mode to be available or introduce them now so that students can at least get access to them and then reformat them later to the most desirable mode of presentation.

Thanks.

Josep M.