SCORM & Articulate- Score not Showing in Gradebook

SCORM & Articulate- Score not Showing in Gradebook

by Todd Thornton -
Number of replies: 15
I recently updated to the latest suite of Articulate Presenter (2009) to increase my design options and I'm running most of the recent Moodle SCORM fixes. (I think I'm using the latest weekly before the official 1.9.3 was released) I have to use activity locking so it seems very few people (if any) have gotten AL to work correctly with 1.9.4 so updating to the latest version is most likely out of the question. I need a temporary solution until I can switch to 2.0 maybe this fall.

Here's my issue that I'm hoping other Articulate users can help me narrow down so I can just apply a patch or change a few lines of code. Alternatively, if you could give me the settings you're using thats causing the least number of SCORM issues, I would be grateful. In the past I've found using SCORM 1.2, highest grade and highest attempt yielded the most stable results.

Sometimes the quiz score does not get recorded in the grade book. The score is visible if the student clicks on the activity itself, but never gets transferred to the actual grade book which of course is the basis for activity locking. In a few cases, the student finishes the quiz, but no quiz score is recorded anywhere. It would appear this mainly occurs when the first attempt is interrupted. (If they don't get to the slide with the quiz the first time, then no score is allowed even if they pass the quiz after the second login and click resume)

I can't trace this to any particular browser or operating system. It doesn't happen all the time as some students don't have a problem, but I can't for the life of me figure out what's common in all the problem situations.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Todd

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Todd Thornton

Re: SCORM & Articulate- Score not Showing in Gradebook

by Vispi Baria -
Hi Todd, have you set the Articulate option for 'resume presentation' to off? If not, this might be worth a try as I recently read that if uploading to an LMS you should disable the resume option (let the LMS take care of it) as it may have unexpected behavior. Just thought it might be worth a try!

regards,
Vispi.
In reply to Vispi Baria

by Todd Thornton -
Vispi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I could not get the presentations to resume in Moodle unless that option was checked, but I also have checked "Ignore Flash Cookie" if playing in an LMS. It all seemed to be working okay until recently or until we has users under different systems.

Upon further inspection, it appears this could be a MAC only problem. On the Articulate forums, there have been reports of Quizmaker Quiz issues with MAC users and while I don't know if everyone that had an issue with us had a MAC, I know the last problem we had on two separate videos was from a student who was using Firefox on a MAC.

I'm still troubleshooting so it's hard to narrow it down for sure. Is anyone else reporting SCORM results (MAC Users) to the gradebook via Quizmaker results?

Todd

by Vispi Baria -

Todd, I created a small module comprising of a few presenter slides and two quizmaker quizzes and uploaded to moodle 1.9 (can't remember exactly which version as it was a few months ago..). I have a MAC running firefox 3.0.6 and have run the module again and the quiz score does get into gradebook ok. The module was written with studio 5 so maybe this is not very helpful for you, but if you want me to replicate the 'interrupting of the quiz' etc.. just let me know the sequence and I'll give it a go. I do intend to upgrade to Quizmaker '09 soon, so can give it a go when I do. In the meantime, maybe someone else has the same setup as you....

regards,

Vispi. 

by Moodle Mojo -

Todd & Vispi.

It sounds like both of you are using Articulate Suite + Quizmaker with Moodle.  I am in the same boat.  However, I am brand new at this.  I am using Moodle 1.9 for windows and articulate 09.

Currently I am in Test Mode on my localhost and am trying to get Moodle to track the progress of students.  I successfully loaded a minicourse + a quiz from Quizmaker 09.  I've set up Moodle to display by Topics.  The course (a SCORM FILE) was uploaded as an activity under the Topics.  Everything is running fine, but I can't track the course/quiz in the student accounts?

When I view the 'activity reports' in the students profiles, nothing shows up.  I was hoping that Moodle would track the students activity and also track if he/she had passed the quiz but nothing shows up.

There must be a way to track Articulate Quizzes & presentations in Moodle?  Can you please help?  What are you doing to track Articulate Quizmaker?

Thanks! 

In reply to Moodle Mojo

by Vispi Baria -
Hi, when you publish from quizmaker and select the 'LMS' tab you will see a section for 'Output Options'. Here you can specify SCORM version and what is to be tracked (I generally use 1.2 unless a client's LMS fully supports SCORM 2004 and they want to track more detailed information). You can leave the default options if you are just publishing a single Quiz in Quizmaker. If you are including a number of quizzes into Presenter, then you will have to select which Quiz (or number of slides) you want to track, as with a single SCO you can only track one Quiz or slide count.
Although the link below is an old post now (most of it is still the same), Dave goes through the process of publishing from Articulate products to Moodle.
http://www.mozealous.com/?p=5

Hope this helps,
Vispi.
In reply to Vispi Baria

by Moodle Mojo -

Vispi,

Thanks for all that.  I've been to Dave's blog.  And infact that's how I learned to publish to SCORM 1.2, and load to Moodle, etc.  Unfortunately I still can't get it to track student records.

Looks like you don't do anything differently than I do.  So I'll check my settings again.

thanks. 

by Jeff Odachowski -
Todd,

I use Articulate extensively at our company and have seen this type of problem before. First make sure that you are reporting on the quiz result in your presentation and not the slides.

It seems that you are reporting on slides from the information provided above because the quiz grade is not getting passed to the gradebook. What is being a reported a 0 0r 1 which means that your scorm setting are set to the Learning Object in the LMS? Also make sure that you have the settings correct to report a grade. Setting in the LMS that I currenty usde for this are:

Grading Method: Highest Grade
max grade 100
Attempts Grading: Highest Attempt
open in a new window
The rest of the settinga reup to you.

Let me know if this helps.
Jeff
In reply to Jeff Odachowski

by Todd Thornton -
FYI- This particular issue I was experiencing only happened on MACS and we finally discovered was an issue in the Quizmaker software. A recent update from Articulate has seemed to fix the problem. For other articulate users, it seems the built in learning game in Presenter almost always works in getting a score to the grade book so if you encounter SCORM/Grade Book problems, I'd suggest trying the learning game instead of a Quizmaker quiz. The downside is you only have a couple types of questions.

Todd

by Henry Carson -

Resolved!

Did I battle with this! Luckily I managed to resolve the issue (actually very simple).

-Click Publish

-Select LMS

-Click on Reporting and tracking

-Below Reporting, select Tracking

-Select the radio button: Track using Quiz results!

Now your LMS will store the Grade score.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Henry Carson

by Rhonda Goetz -
I am sorry but I don't have that Tracking option. I have Report status to LMs as pass/fail, Passed/Incomplete, Completed/Incomplete, and Completed/Failed.

Which am I to use? I am tearing my hair out with this issue. Rhonda
In reply to Rhonda Goetz

by Rhonda Goetz -
Ok Complete/Incomplete is the one that works. R
In reply to Rhonda Goetz

by ciaran oco -
Ronda - what is the version of Moodle you use. I have 1.91 and compile with complete/incomplete with no success in the Articule SCORM object being recorded by Moodle.

Maybe I need a later version of the Moodle scorm module?

Any help appreciated - thanks

Ciaran

by doug hinkle -
I am having a problem with some of my Articulate Quizmaker quizzes in Moodle. For the quizzes embedded in my courses created by Articulate Presenter, a student can take the quizzes multiple times and the highest grade is recorded. I also have a comprehensive test built and published directly from Quizmaker. When a student takes this test in Moodle, it will score the grade just fine but when they try to take it again, it will not overwrite the original grade even if they score higher. The settings within Moodle are the same as all of the other courses and I have checked to make sure it has multiple attempts and highest grade set. I have published the test using a variety of different methods including embedding the test in a one slide Articulate Presenter course. Nothing seems to make a difference.
In reply to doug hinkle

by Dan Roddy -

Doug

Did you ever get an answer to this problem. It's one that I am facing right now.

I found this article on the Articulate forums which seems to suggest the problem is something resulting from the two coming together, or at least it is in the case of the writer and me both trying to overcome the multitude of clicks that Moodle requires to launch a course.

Dan