eMail block add-on: cron setup for email

eMail block add-on: cron setup for email

by Larry Jones -
Number of replies: 9

My Linux skills are not great.  My server is Godaddy.  Does anyone have the cron script to setup mail on Godaddy?

Thanx

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Larry Jones

Er: cron setup for email

by Aitor Uranga -
Hi Larry,

Enter to your Hosting account (Manage account), at the Account section you have the Cron Manager.

Create a new Cron Job, choose the cron.php file at the Moodle directory and the frecuency.

Godaddy leave you to set a cron job once or twice in an hour. If you need more, create another cron job.

Regards,

Aitor
In reply to Aitor Uranga

Re: Er: cron setup for email

by Larry Jones -

Hi Aitor,

I setup the SMTP as "relay-hosting.secureserver.net".

Do I create the cron.php?  If so what do I put in it?

I know very little Linux.

Are you using GoDaddy?

In reply to Larry Jones

Er: Re: Er: cron setup for email

by Aitor Uranga -
Hi Larry,

Yes, I am using Godaddy too.

About the email server adjustment in Moodle, using Godaddy, it works if you leave the SMTP server field blank. Surely it works too with the address you wrote (relay-hosting.secureserver.net).

The email server adjustment and the cron jobs are different things. Try entering to your Godaddy account and doing the instructions I gave you in the last message.

Regards,

Aitor
In reply to Aitor Uranga

Re: Er: Re: Er: cron setup for email

by Larry Jones -

Hi Aitor,

Are you using 1.9.4?

I did find the Cron panel in GD.

I set the frequency and pointed it to cron.php, still no emails.

In reply to Larry Jones

Er: Re: Er: Re: Er: cron setup for email

by Aitor Uranga -
Hi Larry,

Moodle 1.9.4 and Linux hosting at Godaddy.

In Moodle, at Site Administration > Server > Email, leave the three first (SMTP host, username and password) blank. Does it work?

Regards,

Aitor
In reply to Aitor Uranga

Hey I have the same problem

by Mike Kruger -
Im using Godaddy, Moodle asks for my SMTP server which I asked GD and they said either smtpout.secure... or relay-meassage.... Both of which I have tried with no luck all it says when I try make an acocunt is that it soes not work as smtp error. I have also left this bit blank and it should do it via .php but no luck, no email to my test accounts.

Can anyone help? Im really lost on this one!
In reply to Mike Kruger

Re: Hey I have the same problem

by deepak gupta -
Hey Mike
Did you find any solution to this? I am having the same problem.

Thanks
Deep
In reply to deepak gupta

Directions for creating the "cron" job on godaddy and personal server

by Brendan Blowers -
Hey everyone,

I had the same problem as you all for several months. The final solution I came to was to edit the cron job (as is mentioned previously in this thread). Anyway, here are the details of how I got the cron job working. Hopefully this will be helpful to others:

Issue: Moodle doesn't send out e-mail notifications when people post to the forum.

Details:

• When a person is "subscribed" to a Moodle forum, they are supposed to receive e-mails automatically when other people post to that forum. This setting can be enabled/disabled by navigating to the forum as a teacher or admin, clicking "Show/edit" current subscribers, and turning editing on.
  • However, sometimes the users will not receive e-mails even if they are subscribed and people post to the forum.
  • (Note, this error may occur even though the registration and password confirmation e-mails ARE being sent out!)

Solution:

It may be that the "cron" job is not executing properly. You have to set it up to execute various times per hour. This is especially important if you migrated or copied the moodle installation from another folder/website!:
  • If you have shell access and server control, you can add a cron job by doing the following:
    • # crontab -e
      Edit the file that is opened by adding this line and changing the path.
      */5 * * * * /usr/bin/php '/var/www/website3/moodle/admin/cron.php' > /dev/null
      Restart the cron daemon just for good measure
      # cd /etc/init.d
      # crond restart

• (Note: here are some other examples you can use in place of the line beginning with */5 * * * * above)
  • If you are using a hosting service (such as Godaddy) and didn't install moodle through the application manager, you can set the cron settings in your hosting control panel:
    • Log in and go to "My Account->Hosting->Manage Account->Content (dropdown box)->Cron Manager"
    • From here you can create a cron job with the following command:
In reply to Larry Jones

no cron, just change this setting in godaddy

by carlos morrison -

I setup the SMTP as "relay-hosting.secureserver.net". this solve the problem for me, good l