Forum Due Dates in Calendar?

Forum Due Dates in Calendar?

by Steven Ouellette -
Number of replies: 11
Is there a way to have the "Restrict ratings to posts with dates in this range" dates show up in the calendar? For the first time I am incorporating forum discussions in an advanced stats class (some fun stuff has been posted!) but the students have mentioned that the forum due dates are not showing up in the Moodle calendar. It seems like this would be a useful thing to show up if you are using it, but I don't see a way to do so.

If it is not possible at the moment, is there a feature request in for it that I can add my vote to? smile If not, I'll have to figure out how to do that in the tracker...

Thanks in advance!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steven Ouellette

Re: Forum Due Dates in Calendar?

by Sam Fisher -
I would like to add my support to adding forum due dates that would show up in the calendar. Presently I tell the students the due date and time when I post questions/discussions but it would be a nice reminder.

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Steven - Interesting request, let me kick this around a little and see if I can come up with a quick patch. I'll check the tracker later and see if there is a request and let you know. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Steven Ouellette -
Thanks Anthony! I didn't see anything on the tracker up to page six on search terms "forum" and "calendar."

Thanks for looking into it!

by Anthony Borrow -
Steven - OK, I did not see anything in the tracker either so I created MDL-18300 which you can comment on, watch, and/or vote for. In addition, I was able to come up with a quick patch based on similar code in the quiz module. The patch is located on the tracker issue so feel free to test it and use it if it help you. Let me know if you have any questions. Peace - Anthony

by A. T. Wyatt -
I have filed a tracker issue on this request. It seems to me that it is also related to a number of requests that have to do with forum locking and other restrictions by date.

The tracker request for calendar, specifically is:
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-18299

Related issues that might be voted upon are:
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-7185
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-15235
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-12944

If you want to vote on one of these issues and haven't already, you will need to make a separate account in the tracker.

atw
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Steven Ouellette -
Thanks very much for setting this up ATW - I have voted for it.

This is what I love about open source! smile

by A. T. Wyatt -
Yes, I think I have voted for all of them and also tried to link the related ones together. AND I tweeted about all of them (one, two, three), so maybe we will see more votes! I would surely like to have due dates attached to forums, which also means they would show up on the calendar. It would be loverly. . . smile

atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Anthony Borrow -
Thank ATW! Actually MDL-18299 is to create events for the forum availability dates (at least that is how I read it) where as Steven's request was for the availability dates to rate posts. I think we should have both in Moodle 2.0 so for a particular forum you could have up to 4 events. For example, the forum becomes available for discussions and posts on February 18, 2009 8:00 a.m. and becomes unavailable for further activity on February 25, 2009 8:00 a.m. The teacher may want the students to rate posts between the 23rd and 24th which would be a separate event. In the calendar I envision something like:

February 18 - Forum Discussion on Guest Lectorer (Opens)
February 23 - Forum Discussion on Guest Lectorer (Begin ratings)
February 24 - Forum Discussion on Guest Lectorer (End ratings)
February 25 - Forum Discussion on Guest Lectorer (Closes)

although technically since there is less than 5 days between the 23rd and 24th the patch I provided in MDL-18300 would create only a single event of the appropriate duration. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Steven Ouellette -
Yes, to both! I do my own ratings at this point, so I was focusing on linking the due date of the forum contributions with the event that shows up on the calendar. However, I am interested in students rating their peers' contributions, so I am interested in separating due date of contribution and due date of rating. Flexibility = good!
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Hanaa Aboushahla -

Forum Due Dates in Calendar issue is just on time. We are looking forward to be able to set starting and ending dates in forums.

Thank you for setting up the request, I have voted for all.

Hanaa.