Teachers can't add users

Teachers can't add users

by Yves De Moerloose -
Number of replies: 6
Hi,

I'm exploring moodle for the first time, so everything is brandnew for me.
I bumped into a problem which is rather critical in the setup i'm willing to use.

When I create (or import) a course I can enrol students and teachers to it.
Also a teacher can enrol students which are already in the system, so far so good.

But a teacher can 't enrol/subscribe "new" users in his course. (I mean users that never used this moodle before) I really need teachers to be able to add (new) users into the course they are teaching. Is there a way/workaround to do this?

Kind regards,
Yves

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Yves De Moerloose

Re: Teachers can't add users

by Jonathan Lewis -
Hello Yves

I hope I understand you correctly - you want teachers to be able to create entirely new users - i.e. users who have not yet been registered onto you moodle in any capacity.

Have you read the Authentication guide in Moodle Docs?

The best solution depends on your circumstances. If you have a finite and reasonably sized pool of students (for example, in a school) it might make sense to enrol them all manually and issue them with login details. This would be a pain to do but once you had done it, it would be done.

The alternative is to use one of the other authentication systems, whereby students would create their own accounts in moodle. Once they have done this, teachers will be able to add them to courses or, more simply, they could enrol themselves.

If you *really* trusted your teachers you could alter the roles system so that they were able to create and delete users. You would do this by

Going in the administration block to Users -> Permissions -> Define Roles

Clicking on the 'Manage roles' tab and select 'teacher'.

Scroll down to 'Create users' and 'Delete users' - and setting these to 'Allow'.

You would then need to set your trusted teachers as system-wide teachers via Users -> Permissions -> Assign system roles

However, this seems like a *very* risky thing to do and you would really need to trust your teachers to be secure with their passwords etcetera. I love all my colleagues to death but I don't think I would trust them with this! On reflection, then - I would go ahead with one of the first two options.

In reply to Jonathan Lewis

by Yves De Moerloose -
Dear Jonathan,

Thank you for your input.
Maybe I should explain our situation a little more, that will clear up things smile
I'm working on an e-learning project which will be used in prisons.
The central environment will be used by +/-33 prisons all over the country.
So our "students" are actually convicts who are willing to take a course to learn a new job which could help them getting back a normal life when they enter society again.

So obviously, our moodle will be in a completely isolated vlan, without any connection to the outside world. You understand this situation limits us quite a lot.
E-mail registration is impossible, as there is no internet available for them.
Registration done by an admin is also as good as impossible because the "student" population changes continuously and the admin would be doing nothing else then adding students all the time. So I thought the best approach would be to let each teacher create the students for his class.

But in the meantime, I came up with another solution. I 'm thinking abt using e-mail registration with the confirmation e-mail itself stripped out. I've read/seen that users can get confirmed by an admin directly in the moodle interface. So I was thinking of let them register themself and create a new role which has only permissions to manage users (confirm,delete,create) After that, give the teachers' responsible in each entity acces to that role so they can confirm the students. This would also be less hassle for the teachers.

All other suggestions arer greatly appreciated of course!

Kind regards
Yves

by Gina Loveless -

I've done all of the above (with the exception of allowing Delete users) and I don't see where teachers would go to do this.  Specifically, I want teachers to have the ability to check/change passwords for students in their course.  Is there a setting where they should be able to see some items in the front page Admin tab?

I've GOT to be missing something here.  Any help????

In reply to Gina Loveless

by Jonathan Lewis -
Have you given your teachers system-wide teacher status? Failing that, have you given them front page teacher status in admin -> front page -> front page roles ?

If that doesn't work, I'm drawing a blank.

by pete flynn -
ok...I feel the need to add this to the questions/discussion:

Does this mean when I go into Users>Permissions>Define Roles and change all the radio buttons to allow for the relevant password editing ability (edit user profile etc) then save it, it DOESN'T actually do anything? because that is what is being stated hear.

I have done this several times and my teachers still cannot change passwords when they are teachers in a course.

Can anyone enlighten me as to how I allow them this quite fundamental ability without making them administrators or some other drastic measure?

Cheers
Pete