Need to upgrade Ubuntu 8.10 to PHP 5.2.8? Use alternative Ubuntu source repository

Need to upgrade Ubuntu 8.10 to PHP 5.2.8? Use alternative Ubuntu source repository

by Anthony Borrow -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
For those who want to start helping to test Moodle 2.0 and are using Ubuntu you will be required to have PHP 5.2.8 installed. I did a little searching and came across a link that mentioned an alternative repository that allowed me to use synaptic to upgrade PHP on my machine from 5.2.6 to 5.2.8. This was a nice time saver as I did not have to install PHP manually so I figured I would reference the repositories here for others who may be able to make use of them. Peace - Anthony

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/tarkus/ubuntu intrepid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/tarkus/ubuntu intrepid main

PPA: https://launchpad.net/~tarkus/+archive

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Anthony Borrow

Re: Need to upgrade Ubuntu 8.10 to PHP 5.2.8? Use alternative Ubuntu source repository

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Building PHP from source is good for the soul!!

Ooops.... sorry Anthony big grin (Gets coat and exits)

Re: Need to upgrade Ubuntu 8.10 to PHP 5.2.8? Use alternative Ubuntu source repository

by Matt Gibson -
Thanks for the sources Anthony. I did get an error that the packages could not be verified though mixed
In reply to Matt Gibson

by Matt Gibson -
Whoops - totally forgot to import the key first blush

by Shane Elliott -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Thanks for the info Anthony. It was annoying me that one of my main test boxes wasn't able to test.

Cheers,
Shane.

In reply to Shane Elliott

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
My pleasure, I was in a similar situation wanting to do some testing with Moodle 2.0. Of course as others have commented there is something about building PHP from source but for a quick and easy fix this seemed to work just fine. Thanksfully, Ubuntu 9.10 is currently slated to use 5.2.9 so it will no longer be an issue. Peace - Anthony

by Jonathan Konrad -
Thank you. I still use an 8.10 box for testing third party modules and such for Moodle 1.9.x. Today I thought I should also start seriously testing 2.0 and got stopped rather quickly with the 5.2.8 php requirement.

This made the update painless. Thank you so much.
In reply to Jonathan Konrad

by Gary Anderson -
I too was worried about the PHP requirement and Ubuntu. But now I run on 9.10 (October 2009) which works fine with Moodle 2.0 Alpha, and the LTS version of Ubuntu (which many sites will insist on running) is scheduled for April 2010 (10.4) which might even be enough time for Moodle 2.0 to get through the Beta stage, so if one is running the latest server OS, one will probably not need to use alternative repositories.