Proposed improvement for displaying definitions in tooltip

Proposed improvement for displaying definitions in tooltip

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Further to this request I have made a little hack which allows glossary definitions to be displayed as tooltips rather than as a hyperlink to a pop-up window. You can see the results in the attached screenshot, showing 2 options for the tooltip display.

If you are interested you can go see the full description in the tracker MDL-18213, you can vote for it or download the attached files and try it out on your own moodle test server.

Hope this will be useful,

Joseph

Attachment image00.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Proposed improvement for displaying definitions in tooltip

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
BUMP! No-one interested in testing this out?
Joseph

by sandra ridings -
Hi

I've downloaded the zip file and instructions to hack and will give it a go on my local host as soon as I have time.

This will be only the second hack I have ever attempted, so I'll let you know how I go.

Sandra

by Joseph Rézeau -
re-bump! Still no-one interested?
Joseph

by Stuart Mealor -
Hi Joseph

Just looking at the pop-up help in Moodle 2.0, could this Glossary idea now become part of core?

I like James' question too
- it would be great if a duration could be set for these ?

Stu
In reply to Stuart Mealor

by Joseph Rézeau -

Thanks for your interest in my little hack. Given the small amount of interest in the Glossary activity in general and my "tooltip hack" in particular (only 6 votes so far), I very much doubt that the hack (including or not a duration feature) will be promoted to Moodle 2.0 distribution. It would probably need dozens or votes in tracker for this to be considered as I do not currently have the necessary rights to do it myself.

All I can say is for anyone interested to vote for MDL-18213 and to try it out on their own Moodle test installations and report any problems/feature wishes.

Joseph

by Leticia Maimann-Roland -

How do we vote???

This is an amazing improvement!

In reply to Leticia Maimann-Roland

by Joseph Rézeau -
Click on the link to bug report MDL-18213, and click on Voting. You may have to register in the bug tracker (you can use the same username and password as the ones you use for the moodle forums).
Joseph

by James Phillips -
I've tried this and I like it very much (I have wanted something like this for ages!). I would much prefer it if it wasn't a hack though as this will obviously cause problems when executing security updates etc.

I do have one question though. How do I control how many seconds the pop-up appears for?

by Bente Olsen -
Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Oh, this looks superb! I will test it too in the nearest future AND give it my vote. It will be a very nice improvement to our correction key!

by Tetsuo Kimura -
Oh, this is exactly what I want to have for the glossary function. Why this is not included in the core program? I voted for MDL-18213. I'm going to introduce this wonderful idea during my presentation at JALTCALL in Kyoto, Japan, next weekend.