Odd rendering problem in Firefox with Glossary Auto Linking

Odd rendering problem in Firefox with Glossary Auto Linking

by Alex DePena -
Number of replies: 5
We have run across some odd behavior that involves glossary auto linking.
We discovered that when we use certain keywords for glossary items strange things happen. Most keywords work just fine. However when we use 2.1 or 2.2 or 3.2 as keywords the screens in Firefox have a few extra characters thrown in. Like in the picture below.
screencap.png

It seems that only 2.1 (two dot one) 2.2 (two dot two) and 3.2 (three dot three) cause the odd tags to show up.

Has anyone else seen the problem? It should be easy enough to replicate. Just add a keyword "2.2" to a glossary item then browse to your front page. (if you have caching on it may take a few screen refreshes).

Does anyone have any idea why this may be happening? Can anyone tell me where even to begin looking, other than filterlib.php and markdown.php?

Any help would be useful.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alex DePena

Re: Odd rendering problem in Firefox with Glossary Auto Linking

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Wow,

good catch! filterlib (the common library for all the linking filters) uses some numbers of that type (2.1, 2.2...) internally, but they shouldn't affect final visualisation.

But obviously, something is buggy there. Going to take a look to that in MDL-18165 (thanks for creating it in the Tracker, Alex).

Ciao smile
In reply to Alex DePena

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi again,

after some debugging/test here I think I've found the roots of the problem. Should be fixed now in CVS (for Moodle 1.8, 1.9 and 2.0).

More info in MDL-18165. Any feedback will be welcome.

TIA and ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Alex DePena -
I applied the updates from CVS today and it looks like it's all fixed. I want to thank our course designer Amanda and our admin. Lisa for helping isolate this bug.

Thanks Eloy!
In reply to Alex DePena

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Alex
Just curious to know what use you might have for "2.2" etc. as keywords.thoughtful
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Alex DePena -
Joseph,

I really do not know what the teacher had in mind when she used 2.2 as keywords. I would have never thought of using the numbers myself.

Alex