Admin sees all courses even though set to "own courses"

Admin sees all courses even though set to "own courses"

by Colin Matheson -
Number of replies: 6
I went to Modules->Blocks->Courses and set block_course_list_adminview to admin sees own courses. However, I still see a list of all the courses in the center. In the MyCourses block I see just my courses. Does the block_course_list_adminview only effect the side block, or is this an error in my site?
Is there any way I can set it so that the center list on the front page doesn't list all the courses?

Thanks for any help.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Colin Matheson

Re: Admin sees all courses even though set to "own courses"

by Christopher Murad -
Colin-
off the top of my head
I believe setting the block settings only effects the block.

Perhaps the My Moodle homepage may provide the functionality your looking for.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Sharon Goodson -
Chris is correct in that it only effects the block. It may seem not to make much sense from the front page, as the main column still shows all courses, but as you navigate around to other pages, you appreciate that the block doesn't list all courses.

My Moodle redirect wouldn't help in the case of Admin view because it only redirects non-admin roles.

What we did to solve this (and some other issues) was to create separate teacher accounts for admin who also teach courses, and then use My Moodle. We also set 'Hide all course link' to yes so all courses don't display in the course block on My Moodle pages (and only parent course categories display for admin in the block).

I know Moodle allows for multiple roles, but we reasoned that when we were there to teach, we didn't need the distraction of admin views (or capabilities), admin-only blocks and blocks/activities we set up specificly for admin (the admin role tends to remains dominant). Likewise, there were teacher blocks and layouts that admin didn't need - add all that together and it makes for a very distracting, cluttered page (particulary since admin usually has editing turned on).

It would be great if individual admin users could switch back and forth from admin to their specific teacher roles. Not to be confused with the ability to toggle between various role views, or login as another user (as admin sometimes do with their teacher accounts), but for Moodle to recognize they're also teachers (or students) in other courses and allow them to switch to that environment without having another account. Now I've gone off track and I'm thinking out loud here - sorry *lol*

Stii, I wonder if that's one for the tracker...You out there Helen? What do you think - Is that tracker material?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Sharon Goodson

by Colin Matheson -
Thanks for the info and for sharing how you resolved the teacher/admin combo situation. I talked to my other teacher/admins and they say that using the MyCourses block works just fine and they just ignore the front page and go straight to their courses when they are teaching.
I do agree it would be cool to "slough off" and "re-apply" my admin powers when I am teaching instead of creating two accounts. But maybe 2 accounts is the cleanest solution.

by Sharon Goodson -
Your welcome! I think I will submit it to the tracker. I'm sure we're not the only ones who think it would be useful, right?
In reply to Sharon Goodson

by Ray Lawrence -
The simplest solution is to have an admin account for site admin duties and another account for teacher/student activity on the site.
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Zoran Jančić -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
What if we have so many courses on site that front pages loads very slow because course list for admins is huge? What kind of solution for that scenario is recomended?