Moodle Installation Problem - Apache Syntax

Moodle Installation Problem - Apache Syntax

by Brad Wilson -
Number of replies: 29

Hi,

I'm new to Moodle and am trying to install onto a Win 2003 x64 Virtual Server.

I have downloaded the Moodle 1.9.3+ Windows package and have fallen at a very early hurdle.

I have run the Setup_xampp.bat, which was successful, but when I tried to run the Start_Apache.bat, I recieved the following error:

Diese Eingabeforderung nicht waehrend des Running beenden

itte erst bei einem gewollten Shutdown schliessen

Please close this command only for Shutdown

Apache 2 is starting ...

apache.exe: Syntax error on line 478 of C:/server/apache/conf/httpd.conf: Syntax

error on line 7 of C:/server/apache/conf/extra/httpd-xampp.conf: Cannot load C:

/server/apache/bin/php5apache2_2.dll into server: The specified module could not

be found.

Apache konnte nicht gestartet werden

Apache could not be started

Press any key to continue . . .

I have checked that the files are there.

Can anybody shed any light on what the problem might be?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brad Wilson

Re: Moodle Installation Problem - Apache Syntax

by Brad Wilson -
Can anyone conform that the installer packager is compliant with 2003 x64?
In reply to Brad Wilson

by Andrew Burt -
I'm getting this error message when using this package with a clean build of Windows XP so I don't think it's a Windows 2003 problem.
In reply to Andrew Burt

by Brad Wilson -

I can't find any solutions on line.

Shame Moodle don't have a support team to ask sad

In reply to Brad Wilson

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I'm surprised that no one has chipped in with the answer. The Windows installer packages are based on XAMP. A bit of googling may tell you if you need a different version for Win64. Moodle docs has step by step instructions for installing on various platforms in various ways under Administrator documentation. It might be worth checking there.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Brad Wilson -

Thanks Tim,

I have actually wiped the server and installed the x86 version of 2003 server instead and am getting the same problem.

Honestly, I have found the moodle instructions to be dire, and the readme files in the install packages are even worse, they even refer to files that don't exist (setup_xampplite.bat instead of setup_xampp.bat).

I have also tried an earlier version of the Windows installer package and am still getting the same error as above.

I'm completely stumped, so i'm considering doing the Apache, PHP and MySQL installs as sperate entities.

In reply to Brad Wilson

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The whole point about XAMPP is that is should just work out of the box. As is of the case with such things, when it doesn't it is hard to debug.

Anyway I am sitting here at a linux box, were you can install PHP+Apache+Postgres at the click of a mouse, so I am not really best placed to try to help you.

Once you get XAMPP working, the actual Moodle install part is very easy. But then the XAMPP install part is meant to be easy ...
In reply to Andrew Burt

by Jeff Forssell -
These packages have installed for me very easily (XP).

But when you start your Moodle you shouldn't use that apache_start.bat file because that doesn't start up Mysql. I use xampp_start.exe Which starts up both (and maybe does something else).

Moodle does have a GREAT support system: in these forums. And Tim is one of the most active participants. (Only on rare occasions, does being overextended show through with some impatience smile )

I have no experience of 64 systems. The little experience of virtual servers that I have (VMWare IIS) was not without complications. Have you tried a direct install.

But I can agree that the Docs (and especially the readme file in the package should be improved.) There's always the question of who's going to "put the bell on the cat", but as far as the docs go, it's easy to add thing there. Even putting in a question there about what you don't find or understand helps improve the docs.
In reply to Jeff Forssell

by Brad Wilson -

Thanks for your input Jeff and Tim,

What I can't understand, is why the install packages aren't working on my server?  It's just a clean install on Win2003 which I have ran Windows updates on!  If there was a problem running it in this environment, I would have expected to have seen other instances of it and possibly an explanation/fix.

The fact that Hayden has created a very similar thread today makes me wonder whether the problem is caused by a recent Windows update???

Just as a side, I have tried downloading Apache, PHP and MySQL as seperate entities to see if I can get it working that way but needless to say I found myself way out of my depth (I'm a network admin, not a web developer).

In reply to Brad Wilson

by Hayden Sheedy -

It's not windows updates dude! My server builds were clean.

by Jeff Forssell -
I noticed after writing this that the latest packages are simpler than the ones that I was used to. It actually is as easy as what it says on the docs page.

In earlier versions, I had to hit config.bat and after that start xammp.bat (I'm too tired to check the exact names), but they were together with a BUNCH of other .bat files. These are still in the sever folder, but you don't have to touch them even the first time you start it up. The start_Moodle.exe seems to do all that stuff.

by Hayden Sheedy -
Yeah, whatever.
Just manually installed xammp - which seems to work better that moodle installer BTW. Try to access http:// localhost/moodle & get a directory listing.

I am so over this $hit.

Obvisouly there is a fundamental step during installation that I (and MANY others) are missing.
angry

In reply to Hayden Sheedy

by Brad Wilson -

Obvisouly there is a fundamental step during installation that I (and MANY others) are missing.

This is the big point!

How can anyone expect novice users to install Moodle in this way without proper instructions?

What are our options if the installer packages don't work?  It seems to me, that unless you're already a guru, you don't stand a chance!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Brad Wilson

by Wendy Weston -

I am that novice user using a 1.6 version hoping to up grade to 1.8 this week I have the video clip to watch and I am hoping for the best

Its good to know you are all out there helping us novices.

Wendy

In reply to Wendy Weston

by Brad Wilson -

I have just tried again on a fresh install of XP Pro - exactly the same error!!!

I am officially giving up!

In reply to Brad Wilson

by Hayden Sheedy -
I've already apologized for venting my frustration... but in the wrong thread!

BRAD, DUDE, I GOT IT WORKING!
After the standard install failed on XP I installed XAMPP, fiddle farted about for a bit... ET VOILA! See my other thread - its not what I'd call a perfect setup but it works.

If I had time I'd write you a "How to" doc that you could follow.
Having said that, I may rebuild the server, if so I'll get some screenshots for you.

I think the main thing is Install XAMPP first & then extract the moodle for windows zip into htdocs directory. If Moodle Guru could confirm this please. I may not have extracted to exactly the right place because my php install page address is http://moodle/moodle/server/moodle

XAMPP control panel is mucho better... and it actually works... I think... so far so good anyway. I used the XAMPP Control Panel to start Apache & PHP (it can start Filezilla & Mercury too)
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html#641

I almost got this far when I manually installed Apache... but go with XAMPP and there is no excaping the manual installation.

There's no getting around it... I need to learn linux.

by Brad Wilson -

Well done Hayden.

Unfortunately I'm still struggling.

I downloaded and installed xampp like you suggested but there were no options for PHP in the control panel. It did offer to start the Apache and MySQL services but when I checked Windows services, they were stopped and wouldn't let me restart them.

In reply to Brad Wilson

by aarav nambiar -

I am a novice user myself and this link worked for me for Moodle installation on Win XP
I clicked on the files in the same order they appeared in the video.
Hope it helps
In reply to aarav nambiar

by Richard Enison -
AN & Moodle fans everywhere,

That is just one of many Moodle tutorials available on the web for free, some videos (at youtube, google, and other places), some not, on just about every subject from installing and upgrading to creating courses, adding resource, creating and grading exams, etc. I have a list of links to many of them that I have collected over the centuries from this forum and from search engines. I might even be willing to post this list upon request.

BTW there is some duplication between links. For example, the link in your post is a video I have seen before at another address that is on my list. Also, there are a couple of links to video tutorials near the top of Installing Moodle.

EDIT: Also, I hope Moodlers who read some of the posts earlier in this thread recommending the use of XAMPP as an easy way to install Moodle realize that it is not recommended for use on servers, especially on the Internet, for security reasons. This is particularly true of the XAMPPlite-base Windows Complete Pkg., which is the subject of the video in AN's post. And btw if you find the background music in that video annoying, you can just turn your volume down; there's no instructional audio in it.

EDIT2: correction -- there used to be two links to tutorial videos near the top of the doc page mentioned above. Now, you can find one of them at the bottom of the page, under "See also", just above the Category links. Needless to say, if you are reading this years and years after it was posted, all bets are off.

EDIT3: Believe it or not, the words at the beginning of the previous paragraph and this one look like EDIT squared and EDIT cubed in the HTML editor, not EDIT2 and EDIT3. I don't know if this is a Firefox problem or what; I haven't tried looking at it in IE yet.

RLE
In reply to Brad Wilson

by Hayden Sheedy -
Hi Brad,
After managing to get the XAMPP setup working (and subsequently dying after trying to correct client rendering issues) I've decided to go back to ye good olde Windows Server IIS install. Eventually the site will be exposed to the internet so security issues make this the obvious choice. Even got myself a PHP3 text book... Come hell or highwater I will make this work! black eye

If you are still reading this forum drop me a line: haydo69@gmail.com
Hopefully by then I can tell you what we've both been missing.

by Brad Wilson -

Very much appreciated Hayden, i'll be in touch.

Brad

In reply to Brad Wilson

by Howard Miller -
Just a thought....

Download something like Sun's Virtual Box. Download and install something like Ubuntu desktop into a virtual machine, make sure you ask for LAMP being installed. Download and install Moodle as per many instructions for Linux.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

In reply to Howard Miller

by Hayden Sheedy -
Thanks Howard, was contemplating an Ubuntu setup...

However after surfing around abit, gathering latest installers of PHP (5.2.8?), MySQL (5.1?) & Moodle Weekly 1.9 (Not Complete Package) while bouncing back & forth from Moodle support forums to 3rd party support articles/forums and back again... trying to absorb relevent information & discard contradicting information...

I HAVE A WORKING MOODLE SERVER ON IIS6!

Now trying to integrate LDAP... this could see me go postal.
In reply to Brad Wilson

by Steve Lay -
I'm having the same problem as you are with the W2003 install. A bit of digging suggests that the problem is really just that the php module is not loading properly and, AFAICT, there is no real error message. I think the message that the file couldn't be found is clearly spurious because it is there in the zip and in the location indicated in the console message.

What is annoying here is that I got a W2003 SE box provisioned (it's a VM) ready for this having tested it before hand on a VM on my laptop using W2003 EE which worked perfectly.

There are other differences of course, for example in the way the account I'm using is set up, RAM and CPU configurations, and they use different VM technologyes (but both are 32bit). I had hoped to be able to use these installs to provide a simple testing environment that could be switched between versions quickly but this problem with PHP seems to be thwarting that.

In reply to Brad Wilson

by Scott Barnes -
Hi all

My first post on this forum and also new to Moodle. I recently installed Moodle 1.9.4+ for Windows on my home PC (Windows XP SP3, all updates installed) and everything went very smoothly. However, when I came to install it on my work PC (also Windows XP SP3 with all updates) I ran into this exact error: syntax error on line 478, etc.

After reading through this forum post and digging a little I had a hunch it might be permissions on a file - one small change later and the install ran just as smoothly as it did at home.

I thought this might work for others so here are the steps I followed:
1. Locate the following file within the Moodle install folder
\server\apache\bin\php5apache2_2_filter.dll
2. Right-click on the file and select Properties
3. Go to the Security tab and click on Users (MACHINENAME\Users)
4. Check the Modify box under the Allow column (this will automatically also check the Write box).
5. Click Apply
6. Run Start Moodle.exe again.

I hope this works for all those who also ran into this problem. Please post your experiences back on this forum.

Cheers
Scott
In reply to Scott Barnes

by Jon Fulton -
Cool, tried that, but the allow box was already checked... Any other ideas?

Cheers,
Jon
In reply to Jon Fulton

by Scott Barnes -
Jon

I was playing around with Moodle folders again today and discovered something else that caused a similar problem: long folder names, in particular those with a space in them.

For example, when I placed the moodle sub-folders in a folder called "Alpine Moodle" it wouldn't start up. Renaming the folder to just "Moodle" solved the problem.

The only other thing I've done is:

1. Right click on the main containing folder ("Alpine Moodle" and subsequently "Moodle" in my case.)
2. Select Properties.
3. Uncheck the "Read-only attribute" and click Apply.
4. If/when the Confirm Atrributes Changes dialog box appears, make sure the "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files" box is checked and click OK.

Hope that helps

Scott

In reply to Scott Barnes

by Jon Fulton -
Scott,

To be honest, I had given up. Gave your instructions a try - and guess what...

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Scott, much appreciated - you're a legend!

Jon
In reply to Jon Fulton

by Gareth Miskelly -
I have an old server which i installed the the complete install package on and its up and running. Im trying to do the new one on a new server and getting same error as 1st poster. I have tried everything listed here to see if it works but no joy...any other ideas?
In reply to Gareth Miskelly

by Richard Enison -
GM,

Something tells me some of the Moodlers in this thread didn't really get the exact same error msg. about a missing module that was reported in the opening post. Because the solutions that worked for them had absolutely nothing to do with a missing module. Now if you really did get the same error as in the opening post, I'm not surprised those solutions didn't work for you. In that case, see http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=115412#p508708. Otherwise, pls post the entire error msg that you did get and maybe someone can help you with it.

RLE