Embedded audio and accessibilty

Re: Embedded audio and accessibilty

by Timothy Takemoto -
Number of replies: 3

Martin,

Thanks for the about 5 fifth opportunity to listen to my dog and I. And that would be just what I want.

But I could have sworn I tried that. Yes...I definately tried it and it did not work *when using the HTML editor*. About a week ago I tried adding an empty link using the HTML editor and nothing appeared. *Now* when I press the link button without first saving any text I get a javascipt message saying "You must select text first!"

I guess you use the <> button and wrote your own HTML. I have a lot of questions to create so that is not quite the ticket. If I were using raw HTML then I guess I could aslo write the embed tag myself.

Shall I submit a bug askign that the HTML editor allow empty links?

Tim
Ps. No go on the quote? The deadline is tonight.

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Les Lusk -
Using title is not an option since, one it cuts off the text (notice that your full description isn't shown) and two, it doesn't stay on the screen long enough for many folks to read it.

This link uses the longdesc attribute (which will satisfy accessiblity requirements) but it isn't seen by anyone but screen readers.  Hmmm.  really need a way to do a small javascript pop-up box...
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers

Hi Les,

Why can't you just add a link to a text file and have it open in its own window rather than using javascript?  (This works well if you are embedding the audio in an html resource--simply add a "view text" link right in the html editor, point to the uploaded text file and choose to have it open in a new window.)

Also, this isn't exactly what you are looking for but might give you other ideas.  I have my own mp3 player that includes scrolling text for the hearing impaired, those who just like to read along, or for teaching language.  It can be found in the last post of this discussion:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=9011

Chardelle

In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Les Lusk -
Because (at least in my installation) the window opens full screen when using the new window option in the editor.  That always confuses new users.  I'll take a look at your player.  It may just do the trick.  Thanks...