Drop Down Menus Like Moodle.org

Drop Down Menus Like Moodle.org

by Neil Johnson -
Number of replies: 19
How can we get drop down menus like those just above the breadcrumb trail in the new look at Moodle.org?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Neil Johnson

Re: Drop Down Menus Like Moodle.org

by Dan Humpherson -
Here is basically an identical menu,

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/chrome/index.htm

You need to insert the code inside the header.html file, if you need help let me know!
In reply to Dan Humpherson

by John Walsh -

Hello Left Foot,

I'm a little fuzzy on what code I should insert (and where) in my header file to get the drop downs to run.

I'm using custom corners and I can send over my header.html file if you'd like.

Best

John

In reply to John Walsh

by Laura Koepke -

Hi John,

I'm interested in this as well.  I am trying to upgrade to a new Moodle theme but my drop-down menu breaks in IE8.  I've tried to use the menu from Dynamic Drive but I can't get the menus to drop down.  What if anything should I remove from header.html before inserting the <ul> items?

In reply to Laura Koepke

by Dan Humpherson -

I have implemented here: EduMoodle Standard Theme with Moodle.org 'like' menu

I've attached the Theme to this post.

by Laura Koepke -
Thank you!  I now see that I had an IE conditional tag around the call for the java menu.  Just needed your help and fresh eyes.

by Laura Koepke -

The script I'm replacing had a multi-level drop-down feature.  It appears this menu does not.  It would be nice to have a menu that does everything I need - multilevels, IE6 element fix, and IE8 compatible.  Anyone know of a way to fix this menu to have multi-levels or have a menu that "does it all"?

by John Walsh -
Thanks Left Foot.  I just installed it as a category theme to test it, but it doesn't seem to have the drop down menus as part of that.  Do they have to be implemented seperately?
In reply to John Walsh

by Dan Humpherson -
Sorry the theme only implemented them on the front page

ill make a theme for all pages.

by Dan Humpherson -
Here is the theme with the menu appearing on everypage, not just the front page.

by John Walsh -

This is just plain excellent!

Thank you so much!

by John Walsh -

That is a great theme!

I'm going to test it out right now.

My thanks,

John

In reply to Neil Johnson

by Geof Duncan -
Hmmm.... I'm wondering now if we could only combine this menu with the dynamic one here. Sounds like a fun project... big grin

Hacking at code...
In reply to Geof Duncan

by Hartmut Scherer -
I started with the automatic menu from Chen YhongWei and wanted to add some fixed menu items. You can see his answer and how it works here.
In reply to Hartmut Scherer

by Dan Humpherson -
For those of you interested I have extended the drop down menu so that it includes a dynamic drop down menu which will display all of the courses a user is enrolled on.

It will not be displayed until the users is logged in.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Kim Gale -
My problem is I know I can't just drop this anywhere in my header.html. So where exactly do I want the drop down menu to be coded in if I were just adding the menu to an already existing theme?

by Nick Gault -

Thanks Dan the menu looks good and works well.

Does anyone else have missing images for the down arrows? It looks like they are pointing to: http://edumoodle.veloxserv.co.uk/19/moodle/theme/standard/down.gif

Not sure where to change them to look for local versions.

Also would it be possible to include an idiots guide to getting this working in other themes?

In reply to Nick Gault

by Jimbob Bim -
You can change this by looking in \server\moodle\theme\[name of your theme]\js\chrome.js
Open it using notepad or any other text-editing application (I recommend SciTE)
On line 22 there is a string linking the drop down indicator icon to the one you mentioned. Change this to wherever you would like the down.gif to be.
In reply to Neil Johnson

by Jimbob Bim -
I would like to know if it is possible to also have a banner at the top of the theme. How would I be able to incorporate this?