Adding spaces in forum posts

Adding spaces in forum posts

by Jeff Finnan -
Number of replies: 7
I teach chemistry and I use forums to explain how to solve problems. Formatting expressions so that parts line up correctly requires the use of space. The forums here strip out any spacing beyond one space. I have tried adding non-breaking spaces ( ) in html source but they get stripped out too. My work around is to add some character such as - and make its text color white. It works fairly well. Interesting if one places the cursor in the white-text area, the cursor disappears. Sometimes I forget that. Is there any better work around?

Thanks,
Jeff

PS. I ususally use a forum hidden to others and develop the post to get the space just right. Then I copy and post into some visible forum just so that an email is sent out before I like how the post works.

Example Text below which I copied from my forum: (When I go and edit this post there are superscripts and subscripts showing. However, when I save changes they disappear. Not sure why that is happening. Something in the pasting process? When I view in Firefox and select below and look at selection source it is showing subs and sups. Argh, there is something!)

==============================
K
c is very small. Therefore, little dinitrogen tetroxide should be converted to nitrogen dioxide. It should be safe to assume that x is so small relative to 0.500 that one can say 0.500-x = 0.500

-------(2x)2
Kc = ----------
------(0.500)

Plug in the value for Kc

--------------4x2
1.12×10–6 = --------

Cross multiply to have only x on one side.

--1.12×10–6(0.500)
---------------------- = x2

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeff Finnan

Re: Adding spaces in forum posts

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Do you see the style dropdown in the HTML editor? Use the preformatted style.

Or, better yet, turn on the LaTeX filter, the you can have properly formatted equations:

$$1.12\times10^{-6} = \frac{4x^2}{0.500}$$
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jeff Finnan -
Tim,

Is there a tutorial anywhere on using LaTex?

Thanks,
Jeff
In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Michelle Moore -
There is a really great glossary available in Glossary Exchange in the Moodle Exchange course on this site that you should check out. I did a search for "tex" to find it--here are the results:
http://moodle.org/mod/glossary/view.php?id=2739&mode=search&hook=tex&sortkey=&sortorder=asc&fullsearch=1&page=0

I believe I have been using Mark Burnet's version, but I see there are newer postings there as well.

In the version I have, there are glossary entries for nearly any mathematical symbol you could want with examples of how to use LaTex notation to create them.

You could create a glossary in your course, import this LaTex glossary and then you and your students can use the notation throughout Moodle--much simpler than trying to use spaces. smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Michelle Moore

by Jeff Finnan -
I will look into. I am still trying to figure out how to get the text filter to work first. I put up some pleas in the Mathematics Tools forum, figuring that folks who frequent there are more experienced with setting it up. I await some response(s) there.

Thanks,
Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Michelle Moore -
Were you able to find and turn on the TeX Notation filter? If not, that's the first step and, may do the job. If you haven't already, go to the Site Administration menu > Modules > Filters > Manage filters and turn on the setting there for TeX Notation. Then, if you use the notation illustrated in the glossary, you should have beautiful mathematical notation. ;)

If turning on the filter doesn't do it, then you may need to make some additions or changes to your server setup--see this page in the docs for more information: http://docs.moodle.org/en/TeX_notation_filter

Good luck!
In reply to Michelle Moore

by Jeff Finnan -
Michelle,

I was able to turn on the Tex Notation filter and have read the documentation. I started asking some questions in the Mathematics Tools forum figuring that the folks there are more familiar with this filter. I am still waiting for a reply over there. http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=113071

Thanks,
Jeff